It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
it's always something! vent ahead.....

boy...I am a bit frustrated right now...

we rent the house we are living in...we have been here almost 8 years..

this house has been a rental for a while and therefore not really in the best shape...but we have a really good rental fee for the area and for what we have...

the city we live in is very nice and well kept..unfortunately that means they are picky about everything...trash cans being left out...cars with flats in the driveway...etc etc...things like that... this is not a neighborhood with a community fee or anything like that...no signed agreements about maintainence etc etc...

anyway... we have a rather large yard for our neighborhood...my husband has always maintained it...in fact when wemoved in here it was pretty bad...and over the years of watering and care it was looking nice...not perfect but nice....

now that he is sick...he cant do it.... I decided not to water the yard b/c that would make my bill go up... he hasnt worked in 3 months and is on state disbility... also..the grass would grow and it would have to be mowed...
we have a lawn mower but I have never used it...and it is not self propelled and I have a bad back... so I figured if I cant maintain/mow it..it would be better just to leave it for now...it may be browning but at least it is not overgrown with weeds etc etc.... I do go out once a week and pick up debris...we have a eucalyptus tree that sheds its bark once a year and that is right now and it makes the yard look littered....

so anyway... today I get a notice to "water our dead lawn" or cover it with something growing... also to paint all the chipped areas of the house and to properly maintain the property to required standards!

this is really all I need right now!! maybe they would like to come and try and take care of my dying husband who is on oxygen and coughing up blood and my 14 year old daughter...etc etc....

if I were to maintain the yard right now it would cost in time...it would cost money for the water and since i cant really mow it..it would prob cost me another $100 to pay someone to do it! so We would be looking at prob at least $150/month extra... all while my husband isnt working and I am not working... i had to stop working to take care of him...it was getting too hard to do both even if they were letting me work here....

then there is the paint issue... it is not my house... the owners live in WI...
they were going to paint over a year ago but never did... now I will prob have to tell them about this...I dont need that kind of intrusion right now..
I didnt want to tell them about chris right now... I dont want to have to call the city and cry to them about my "situation" but I guess I will have to...
I have no other choice.....

the funny? thing is..CA is in a drought right now...any day now they will prob tell us to conserve water...we have only had 2 in of rain in the past year...
I just figured I was doing my part early!

why this and why now?... the notice gives us 30 days to take care of this!

YEAH....RIGHT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
(female)

jc0421 HB User
Re: it's always something! vent ahead.....

I am so sorry for the stress you are under. Had I received that letter, the tears would have started (the last straw tears!). I do not know your situation as far as friends, church, or other groups... but sometimes (cub or boy) scouts are looking for volunteer projects, church youth groups, or just nice people. Give them a call about your yard. I am a middle-aged woman who loves to mow... I guess it's relaxing.

Anyway, if you have people who always say "if there's anything I can do", please let them know. I know sometimes you just want them to see what needs to be done and do it. But, often they are afraid of doing something like your lawn without being asked because they don't want it to look like they think you can't handle it. I would do anything for a friend but didn't know to just go ahead and do it until I was in the same situation myself. Now I know next time to act without being asked.

Things will be better one day. Hang in there.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: it's always something! vent ahead.....

Hi Snoopy,
I feel so bad that you have to deal with that "little" nuisance stuff too. I don't even understand how they can give you a 30 day notice if it isn't one of those subdivisions with a code of some sort. And honestly it should be the landlord's responsibility to upkeep the property, not the tenant. Since you don't own the property I don't see how you are responsible in any way for the upkeep of the outside of the house and property (like grass). Have you checked your states "Renter's Rights"??? And what exactly happens in 30 days if you don't cut the dead grass??? I think I'd be so ticked I'd put 100 pink plastic flamingos all over it!!
I rent also and it's always that kind of stuff that ticks me off too. Especially now having terminal cancer. Like we need added problems from outsiders in our lives! They have Patients Advocates that can help cancer patients with legal stuff, disability issues etc. Even help you find affordable lawyers and such. You really have to hunt around for help, but it's there. You just have to dig and dig to find it.
I know you dont' want to make waves with the landlords....I don't blame you there, but you are payig them. If none of jc0421's suggestions don't work,do ask a friend for help. For all those who have offered, take them up on it. They really dont know what to do until you ask them.
I'm glad you came to vent Snoopy, I was getting worried about you.
Faith

Closed Thread