It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 04:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User
worst night.....very bad

I am at my wits end...

what happened with hospice being so helpful...

it is 4:40 in the morning...i have had no sleep....

my husband is screaming at the top of his lungs....at least 2-3 times a minute....has been since 11 last night or earlier... there have been problems since before 8...

hospice says he is agitated and this is normal... normal for who?

they told me to give him this one medicine that is anti psychotic... at first it was every 4 hours... well..2 1/2 into it he was screaming worse... they said to go three doses at 1 hour in b/t each...i just did the 3rd one and he is still screaming... no one is here with me...just me....

I am totally at a loss of what to do... it is awful listening to this... I am about to call them for the 4th time...but what does it take? I thought they would come out for something like this...they act like they cant do anything right now... they asked if I had someone that could come help...

isnt that what THEY are there for??? what the heck??

he is all clammy and sweaty right now... very fidgity etc etc.... i guess a classic agitation case...or so I have been told...

I dont know what to do.... I am waiting for the cops to probably show up b/c the neighbors complained about the noise... it is enough to scare anyone...
luckily my daughter isnt here...I let her spend the night elsewhere....

there are kids next to us... I pray they cant hear.....

I will prob call his sister soon.... she lives 1 1/2 hours away... no point in doing it in the middle of the night... hospice is supposed to be helping...

I dont know what kind of help you would call this.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
(female)

Ayre HB User
Re: worst night.....very bad

Oh I'm so sorry you're having to go through this by yourself. I hope that 4th call to hospice made them wake up and come out to help you. I don't have any advice for you but wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and hoping he's better this morning. Lots of love, hugs and prayers.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User

I am so surprised that they haven't sent someone to you. I remember when mom was getting real antsy-like your hubby thay had us give her morphine to calm her. They called us to check up-and got here in a little bit. I hope today goes a little better. cherie

Old 06-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snoopy63 HB User

well...all is much better now...

I beleive it was the medication they told me to give him more so than anything else... this is the 2nd time they gave me something new to give him and it caused big problems...

I am just glad that is over now...it was pretty tough...

I had hospice here yesterday telling me the dr thinks he should go to a nursing home for a couple of days....or I should have someone here with me...
etc etc.. that is just crazy....

I told them the only reason that he agreed to start hospice was so that he would not be leaving the house again! and I also said I wanted to see how the weekend went b/4 I think about having someone else here ..esp if it was a bad reaction to meds...

turns out I was right... he is a bit tired...but neither of us got sleep thurs night...luckily for him he doesnt remember a lot of it....unfortunately I do...
it was rough... I had to call hospice 4 times... and I had the feeling when they told me to give him the haldol that he was reacting badly to it...but what do I know? (sarcasm, ifyou couldnt tell)... then they told me to give him MORE of it... so of course stupid me.... anyway...now it is out of his system and he is back to what we know works...so I am hoping for peace for a few days... he is doing better than he was even before this started...

we will see of course... the nurse told my SIL that she thought if all progressed like it had been then he would have about 1-2 weeks left ??
but that may have been based on what she saw yesterday and he was still having reactions from the medication...

tomorrow...his siblings and I are going to the cemetery/mortuary to start arrangements... to get it started now in case.....I know it will be easier to take care of some of this now but...of course I would rather not have to at all... i dont know much about this stuff.. I have been to 3 services my whole life and they were more for relatives of people I knew and I didnt know them at all... my moms family has never been big on having services etc etc...
and my Dad's family does have services/veiwings etc...but that is in VA and I havent been able to go...and in reality on either side I have only lost 1-2 people.... I feel like I am getting thrown in the deep end with this one...
not only is it someone close to me...it is my husband so I am responsible for all of the decision making..arrangements....I know I will be glad that this is taken care of but.....still unpleasant none the less...

hoping for a peaceful weekend here and for all of you...

Kim..again... really thinking of you today....I said that in the thread I started but wanted to say it again...I know I am not looking forward to that day here.... almost as much as the day he passes...

hugs and prayers to everyone

Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
(female)

jeaniek HB User

I am so sorry to hear about the rough night you had - but I am very glad to hear that your hubby is able to rest now.
That really stinks that hospice didn't send someone over - and to send him to a nursing home does kinda defeat the purpose, but I'm sure they (hospice) wouldn't suggest this unless they felt like it would really help. My dad had horrible stomach pains a few days before he passed, and the nurse couldn't get here for a few hours and told me that although they rather not, if morphine didn't help that maybe I should take him to the hospital - the nurse aid was surprised (she was here with me), but understood that maybe it would've gotten to that point if nobody was here to help me. But the morphine helped and my dad was able to get some rest.
Looking back my dad was getting antsy about a week prior to his passing - we would have him dressed in pj's, he'd fall asleep so I would leave the room and when i'd come back to check him, he'd be completely naked Or he'd be up trying to get around but not knowing what to do with himself. I didn't think of these as signs that his time was nearing until hospice gave me a book that explained a lot - if you don't have that book, it's called "Gone from my sight".
Making arrangements was pretty difficult for us as well, but it was nice to arrange everything the way my dad would've wanted it...and the services were very nice.
I'll keep you and your hubby in my prayers....
Jeanie

Closed Thread