It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

falingamae HB User
Spot on Lung

On June 6 I went to see my doctor for chronic stomach pains. He ordered chest x-ray, ultra sound, a breath test and blood work. He didn't physically exam me, but showed me my xray and asked if I smoked. I quit 25 years ago. He showed me a spot on my lung. I asked what it could be. He said, not sure--maybe a "blood vessel" or a "tumor". I was asked to return on 7/18..I heard he was going to be out of town for the next couple of days and didn't want to wait for my results until 7/18 so I requested if he could have his replacement call me when the results come in. He "promised" he would request a "stat" reading and someone would call me. I have NOT received my results/phone call as promised and he did not request a "stat" reading. I have since changed doctors and the results are still not in as of 7/6/07. My new internist has ordered a CAT scan instead of another chest x-ray and I am awaiting insurance approval. The past month has been a blur and lots of tears! Cancer runs in my family and I'm very scared that the spot could be cancer because I used to smoke! I took an early retirement last year ( because I could) and want to have many more years to enjoy my retirement--watch my grandchidlren grow up...enter college, marry and have great grandchildren. On June 30 I went to the ER for severe stomach pains again and my diagnosis was gastroesophageal reflux or GERD. I stopped taking my Nexium because my first doctor didn't get back to me on the ultrasound, but in hindsight that was a bad decision. I just needed to vent because I get no "support" from my husband. Thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
(female)

seajay HB User
Re: Spot on Lung

It's so hard to play the "Wait and See" game. I've asked this question previously of someone else...did you have your x-ray and ultrasound done at an imaging center, and not at the Doctor's Office? If so, you will more than likely be able to pick up a copy of the radiologist report. When I've had scans done, the information is available the next day. I know that many doctors prefer to go over the results with your personally, but if they won't be available for an extended period of time and the wait is too much, it may be an option.

As for smoking, I was told that 15 years is pretty much an all clear. But, it also may depend on the length of time that a person smoked. If you smoked for a greater length of time than you haven't smoked, it may be different.

A spot can be many things, scarring, evidence of a collapsed area of lung tissue (atelectasis,) or even a shadow. If you don't have COPD and haven't smoked for a long period of time, the odds of the findings being minimal are better. Hoping for the best... always.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Spot on Lung

So sorry you have to go thru this. I can relate to you problem since just today i got my CT report and pulmonologist called me.
I had MRI done for my spine and they saw a spot on left lung. Ct showed that i have fluid in it, but because it is at the base of the lung they can't biopsy it since risk is too high. So he wants me to wait for 6 month to see if this grows or not. No name to this thing and i am not happy to wait that long!
You call them again and insist to get the results. I heard that no news - good news, but i would rather have an explanaition what is in there.
Good luck to you!

Closed Thread