It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
(female)

yanksgirl HB User
Please interpret size of nodules--a 5mm nodule in both lower lobes of lungs!

My husband (a former heavy smoker), but who quit 35 years ago, was just sent a letter from a radiologist where he'd had chest xrays, due to a bad fall. The nodules were found on the x ray by accident! The report said 'please take to your family physician'. We called and read the report and so he's going to have a CT scan of his chest this week at a major medical center here in the midwest. Does anyone know how large 5mm is? Is it the size of a peanut, the head of a pin, or an eraser on a pencil? I read that 90 % are benign, that's good. What about the 10% that aren't? What can he expect to have done next? thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to yanksgirl For This Useful Post:
meweez (11-20-2012)
Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: Please interpret size of nodules--a 5mm nodule in both lower lobes of lungs!

Hi Yanksgirl
5mm is about the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil.
I started out with a 5 mm nodule. The recomendation was a ct scan every 3 months to see if it changed or grew. I was told a 5mm nodule is too small to biopsy.
Glad they are following up with all the appropriate tests.
Faith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
(female)

yanksgirl HB User
Re: Please interpret size of nodules--a 5mm nodule in both lower lobes of lungs!

Thanks for the info on the size. How has yours turned out? Did it grow? Did you have symptoms or was it found by chance? thanks
yanksgirl

Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksgirl View Post
Thanks for the info on the size. How has yours turned out? Did it grow? Did you have symptoms or was it found by chance? thanks
yanksgirl
Hi YanksGirl,
Mine was found by chance when I had a ct scan for bilateral rib pain...for two years! Nothing to do with the nodule though.
Well I don't want to scare you but my 5mm nodule turned out 7or8 months laters as Stage IV lung cancer.
Nodules can be a lot of things though, so just keep a good watch on it.
Best of Luck to you.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
(female)

bkerber HB User

Hi yanksgirl,
I too had nodules that were found while I was having a liver ct scan. I was xrayed and eventually had a PET scan as well. I think I had that because 2 months before, my mom and dad had died of lung cancer and of course they wanted to be careful. I had no hotspots on my PET, so I waited six months and after the second CT scan, they appear to be better, so we are waiting again until the first of 2008 to check them again. I know how very hard it is to wait, its the worst part. Good luck to you.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Thanks, No word on the results of his CT scan as yet. We're praying for good news. I'll keep you posted. yanksgirl

Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

I'm so sorry your turned out so seriously! Are you in your senior years or younger? What are your treatment options? Thank you for your encouragement. yanksgirl

Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I'm so sorry your turned out so seriously! Are you in your senior years or younger? What are your treatment options? Thank you for your encouragement. yanksgirl
I was dignosed at 51, I'm now 52. Too young for this IMO, but here I am.
Lots of younger people here too, with it...or were.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
(female)

yanksgirl HB User
Question Re: Please interpret size of nodules--a 5mm nodule in both lower lobes of lungs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLASRULES View Post
Hi Yanksgirl
5mm is about the size of an eraser at the end of a pencil.
I started out with a 5 mm nodule. The recomendation was a ct scan every 3 months to see if it changed or grew. I was told a 5mm nodule is too small to biopsy.
Glad they are following up with all the appropriate tests.
Faith
My husband's doctor called today and said he has nothing to worry about, the nodules are 'benign'! We're so happy about that. I do wonder if that diagnosis can be 'for sure' with a CT scan only? This was done at a major medical center (among the top 8 in the country) and assurance by a Top Doc in that center. My husband plans to ask just what kind it is and if a follow up is warranted at any point to check them out. What is your opinion on the diagnosis based on a CT radiologist report alone? thanks

Old 07-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

I think I posted my good news under my own message! oops! Please read my message and my let me know what you think about my husband's diagnosis, which we are very happy about, of course. thanks

Old 07-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I think I posted my good news under my own message! oops! Please read my message and my let me know what you think about my husband's diagnosis, which we are very happy about, of course. thanks
Hi Yanksgirl,
Well I love to hear good news, so may I offer my congratulations!!
But being biased, for obvious reasons, I might want a second opinion or the very least ask you doctor what it is about the nodules that flags them as benign for certain?? Did they use contrast dye on the ct scan? My scans are always with contrast dye as well as that barium sulfate to drink. WIthout at least the dye, I don't know if you could tell for certain. Of curse I'm not a doctor so they might see something that tells them that for sure.
They seemed certain my 5mm nodule (and the schmutz surrounding it) was an infection. Until the biopsy from a bronchoscopy showed it was cancer.
Anyway, Good news is good news! Celebrate it.
Faith

Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
(female)

seajay HB User

Hello Yanksgirl,

Good news...Yeah! Like Faith said, I would want to make sure. If the radiology report reads that all of the nodules are calified, that would explain why the doctors sound certain in their diagnosis. If it reads indeterminate, then follow up CTs are generally the cautionary step. I have multiple pulmonary nodules, primarily on the right upper lobe with one on the left. Also reports of opacities in the lower lobes and pleural effusions. As for the nodules, I was told by my Pulmonogist that they need to be monitored for 2 years by CT scans. If there is no growth or no new nodules show up, all is well. If the reports indicate evidence of growth, then more diagnostic measures need to be done. My nodules range in size from 3mm to 5mm and at first were reported as indeterminate. My 2nd scan reported that one of the nodules has calcified, which is great news. The other's look the same. Generally, the serial imaging goes from 3 months 1st follow up scan to 6 months 2nd follow up scan to 9 months to 12months. However, I am still at 3 months because growth in the right lower lobe opacity has occured as well as more pleural fluid.

There are many people with this type of diagnosis who post on the Lung and Respiratory Disorders forum on this board because there are so many things that can cause lung nodules other than cancer. If your husband has other respiratory issues, it may not hurt to see a Pulmonogist just to be sure his lungs are functioning well. It may be something to consider if, after another CT scan the nodules are still evident.

It's great the doctor's are leaning towards a positive diagnosis, but I've been lead to believe that follow up is always a good thing with lung nodules.

Last edited by seajay; 07-20-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Thanks, I'll be looking for the actual report and my husband will talk to his doctor himself. He's not too good at medical 'stuff' as he calls it so usually has him repeat it for me. ha
yanksgirl

Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
(female)

yanksgirl HB User

Thanks again for your encouragement! I hope the doctor explains how they can be 'so certain'. If not, I plan to ask him myself. I think doctor's don't like it when they're questioned alot, but I'm not intimidated by that. My husband simply doesn't ask because he has complete 'trust' and that's good to a point, but I feel one has to at least ask in some cases.
Thanks again. When we get more answers I'll be back to report.
yanksgirl

Closed Thread