It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

postiemayer HB User
probable mets to brain, any experience with radiation?

Hi there, have not been on in awhile, I'm in a pretty fragile mood. Hubby started losing peripheral vision a couple of weeks ago. Had brain CT today, MD called within 2 hours to say he has lesions and they are starting him on a steroid to reduce edema around one of the lesions until we see his oncologist on Wed. Regular MD talked about possible radiation, of course must discuss with oncologist. Anyone with any experience of head or brain radiation and what it did? Any info would be appreciated. Very heartbroken, we had hoped he would make it to Christmas this year. Can still hope and pray though. There are miracles out there and God has been good to us thru the years.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: probable mets to brain, any experience with radiation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by postiemayer View Post
Hi there, have not been on in awhile, I'm in a pretty fragile mood. Hubby started losing peripheral vision a couple of weeks ago. Had brain CT today, MD called within 2 hours to say he has lesions and they are starting him on a steroid to reduce edema around one of the lesions until we see his oncologist on Wed. Regular MD talked about possible radiation, of course must discuss with oncologist. Anyone with any experience of head or brain radiation and what it did? Any info would be appreciated. Very heartbroken, we had hoped he would make it to Christmas this year. Can still hope and pray though. There are miracles out there and God has been good to us thru the years.
Hi Postiemayer
I had the brain mets also. I had one in my occiptal lobe (2 cm) and 2 in the frontal lobes (6mm and under). The one in the occipital lobe was causing some eye effects also and was surrounded by edema. They moved pretty fast on that and within one week I had the largest tumor removed surgically.
A month later I had cyberknife on all 3 spots. THey seems to think for me that would work well. THe cyberknife radiation was just 3 1/2 hours long and done in one session. That was in January. So far both subsequent MRI's have been fine. I have another one coming up next week.
So I only have experience with the cyberknife and not whole brain radiation.
THe neuro-oncologist will use whatever method is appropriate for your husbands mets. Ask about gamma knife or syberknife, as if that can be used it does less damage than WBR. It wasn't fun and I felt awful for days afterwards but in the long run I'm glad I had that kind.
I'm sorry you've had this news, but don't loose hope. God is there in all things, and wil see you through.
You are in my prayers.
Be Blessed
Faith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
(female)

postiemayer HB User

Thanks for the info. Do you have small or large cell?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postiemayer View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you have small or large cell?
I have NSCLC stage IV.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
(female)

jeaniek HB User

Hi Postiemayer

My Dad had WBR for the numerous brain tumors he had. Because of the locations and the number of these tumors, they recommended this over cyberknife (at first, but later down the road, they started mentioning the cyberknife option, although it was a bit too late for this). My father had good success with the radiation to his brain (I believe he completed about 10-15 treatments), and there was noticeable shrinkage of the tumors....although it was not a cure, it did give my Dad about 6 months of good living - he was out and about doing things for himself again, something he wasn't able to do prior to the radiation....He moved out of the nursing home he was in and moved into a small bedroom loft on his own (we would check up on him of course, but he felt that much better after the treatment).... Before the radiation, he had slurred speech, forgetfulness, very uneven with his walking, clumsy,etc...this helped out enormously with these symptoms to the point of eliminating them almost entirely..... He did have some slight side effects from the treatments - he did loose some of his hearing and he also complained about his eye-sight after the radiation...although I'm sure the effects to his eyes were more of the location of his tumors.
I would ask if the cyberknife is an option along with or in replace of the radiation....although everyone is different, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about this procedure and it seems like patients have a better chance of beating brain mets with this. And the damage is very minimal to the healthy parts of the brain, where as the radiation does seem to harm even the healthy portions...... The radiation does work, but in my dad's case it was short term - until the tumors popped up elsewhere.
I'm not trying to discourage you - keep hope and I'll definately keep you in my prayers. I'm sure he'll be here for the holidays, as these treatments do have success.
Jeanie
*my dad had Small Cell stage 4 *

Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
(female)

Karen44 HB User

My husband had SCLC with mets to the brain,he had 14+ lesions,he went thru 10 rounds of WBR(whole brain radiation),he did fairly well,they put him on heavy doses of steroids to decrease swelling,he never had headaches but did experience seizures,balance problems and of course he lost all his hair.He also complained of loss of hearing, that was temporary.
Ask your onco about Temador,or the gammaknife.
My husband was not a candidate for either one of these due to the number of lesions.
God Bless
Karen44

Last edited by Karen44; 08-11-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

postiemayer HB User

Hi there, have not been on in 20 days I see. My husband did have mets to the brain and his onc wanted him to do whole brain radiation, so that is what we are doing. Today was session 14 out of 15. He also was on steroids but they stopped those last week, he really had minimal nausea and the steroids were hyping him up to the point he wasn't sleeping for days. He seems to have had no real problems from it. They said there might be some short term memory loss and there is some, but then again, he has been like that for a couple of years to the point I was concerned about early senility. He also had a spinal MRI which showed lesions in several areas of the spine, but since we already knew the cancer had spread to the hips, back and ribs even before chemo started, no one could say if these were new tumors or just rediscovered ones. The cancer in his lungs, liver, lymph nodes and adrenal glands apparently had not grown in the 3+ months since he stopped chemo which is why his oncologist really pushed for the radiation. He is very cold again suddenly (running the heater in summer here) so don't know what that means but other than not being able to drive from loss of peripheral vision and losing his hair again, he seems to be doing okay. Does as much work around the house as he can. Sure do miss him not being able to drive though, hate doing all those other errands he used to run around doing. I am praying that he will make it thru this holiday season and that the spinal mets pain can be controlled. Thanks for all your information and thoughts. Faith is giving me more and more peace daily and I wish that for all of you out there also struggling with this horrible disease.

Closed Thread