It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

Clerklady HB User
Questions about a bronchoscope?????

Hello All,

My Mom is 75 never sick a day in her life worked up until February everyday until she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. In the Dr Office they noticed her finger nails and ask if she smoked she does, the Dr tells her she has COPD and wanted a chest ex ray. Had a chest ex ray and it showed a spot the size of a quarter on her left lung, went for a CAT scan it showed it to be neoplasm. Referred to a lung Doctor who wants to do a lung biopsy using a scope maybe it is called a bronchoscope. Has anyone had one and what can I expect for her?? She has come to terms with it but still thinks it is scare tissue from having pneumonia years ago. Who knows she had never been sick other than colds since I can remember and I am 45 years old. I also think there is some denial going on, she is VERY independent and hates to rely on us kids to help her. Anyway she is pretty fragile, 106 pounds, has lost a lot weight from the pain of the RA. She caughs a lot but denies being short of breath, I think she has for so long that she wouldnot if she wasn't. Any thoughts on the after effects of this scope. The Lung Dr says it take about 45 minutes and the 4-5 hours recovery time. She is not sued to Doctors and hates the thought of going to any of them, she is very nervous when even talking to them, I would like to be able to tell her what to expect.
Any help or advice would be very valuable, God Bless, Denise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
(female)

bkerber HB User
Re: Questions about a bronchoscope?????

Hi,
My dad had 3 of these done with no success at getting a biopsy, but he did fine afterward. He was 77. He was like your mom, never sick but had smokers cough. No shortness of breath. His was cancer, found after he started coughing up blood. I pray for your mom that it isnt cancer, but if it is please come back for support if you need it.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi
She should do fine with tthe bronchoscopy, if there is a 4-5 hour recovery time. They must be using a better sedative than I got. I was given "twilight sleep" so you are just barely out. I recovered in like a half hour.
I didn't even have a sore throat afterwards.
But it was a diganostic tool which confirmed I had cancer. I am not sure what a neoplasm is, but it should be checked out with her history and symptoms.
Faith

Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Hi, Denise I knew something must be up with you....glad I found you so I can help hold your hand a little bit through this.

To ease your mind a little bit....my mom was diagnosed with a touch of emphysema from years of smoking. She went through the same scare about a year ago when a routine X-ray showed a spot that they wanted to further investigate. They did a CAT scan and from that were able to determine that it was old scar tissue from a pneumonia that she had some 10 years back. So your mom may very well be right.

As far as the bronchoscopy, Erin had one of those when she was only 2 years old after she swallowed a penny and it got stuck at the junction between the bronchi and esophogus. She did fine....they kept her overnight for observation but the worst part was the anesthesia. So your mom should do just fine with it since I am sure that they have developed better procedure and anesthesia methods since then.

Did she go yet and if she did what was the outcome??? Please keep us posted and KNOW that your mom and entire family are in my prayers.

Love & ((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
(female)

Clerklady HB User

Thanks Faith, bkerber and Goody for your words of wisdom I do so appreciate it. My mom goes tomorrow for the biopsy and we should get the results in a few days. I just do not know what to do or how to pray about it. My husband's father had a lung removed and lots of chemo and radiation and ended up dying of brain cancer, my Uncle had a lung removed because of cancer and died from the strong chemo or the results of the strong chemo. My Aunt is battling cancer and the radiation took her voice. I am not sure that my Mom is strong enough for all of this, I know mentally she is not, and physically she is gaining everyday, but the slightest medicine change for her Rheumatoid arthritis, makes her sick, she only weighs 106 pounds. She as long as I can remember has never been sick, she hates doctors and I think she is showing signs of dementia. My MIL is in the nursing home with no quality of life, with her dementia and cancer in her mouth and other major problems. I just wish I could take this from her, and I know that God will only give us as much as we can handle, I hate to see her going through this. God's will in her life will be sufficient I know that, her faith is stronger everyday because of Jesus.

Goody, thank you so much for your post, with all you have to deal with you want to hold my hand, you are one of God's saints and do not forget that.
I have been following you life in Goodland and I praise God for the results you have gotten, the Lord is with you and behind you. I also do not feel like I have anything to give to Tee other than my prayers and I do pray for her everyday, I just do not have any words for her, if that makes sense. My Mom has kind of got me sidetracked to say the least. We have sold our home and I have been packing to move, need to be out by the 15th, so my life is very crazy and my emotions are all over the place. But I will get a post to Tee. Thanks so much for wondering about me and taking the time to reach out and pray and support me and my Mom. I to pray that it is scar tissue and not cancer but we will handle anything because of the love that Jesus shares with us all. God Bless all of you and I will let you know how the biopsy turns out, I have peace knowing that it is not going to hurt her and that it is will be a easy process. Thank you for that. Love ya Denise

Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Denise ~ I will be lifting your mom and your entire family up in prayer hoping that tomorrow there will be positive signs for your mom and all to hear. I pray that the physician doing the bronchoscopy has steady hands and will be able to give you some good news and hope by what he sees so that you don't have to wait it out too long worrying about what the results will be.

We are bringing our oldest to college tomorrow and helping her set up in the house she plans on sharing with 4 other girls. So we are doing a little bit moving ourselves.

Thanks for checking up on our progress....I have done all that we can do as a mother now it is up to Kait and the Lord as I learn to let go and let God!! Not an easy thing to do but I know that HE has her in the palm of His hand and that is what I hold onto when I need to be comforted and have my fears relieved.

I am sure that you are going to be doing the same tomorrow.

May God's love & peace bring comfort and strength your way as you endure the hardships that lay before you.

Don't worry about Tee....she is well covered and there will be a time that you may feel compelled to be there but right now it is time for you to focus on these things that lie before you.

I will check in when we return hoping to hear good news!!

Love & prayers ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 08-28-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hey, Denise just bumping this up to see if your mom got any results....I know that on the BP board you made mention of your sisters bringing your mom in to the doctor to discuss results. I thought this would be the appropriate place to ask for any news about your mom.

Pleas know that we are here for you whether it be good or bad.

Love and lots of ((((((HUGS)))))) ~ Goody

Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

Clerklady HB User

Thanks Goody for asking. Yes it is cancer, non small cell lung cancer.
She went today for a PET scan and then Friday for a stress test on her heart to see if she can with stand surgery. I take her back the 18th for the results and and to see what and how treatment can be done. I am worried about surgery and cutting her sternum open, I do not think she can handle that kind of treatment. But at this point we do not know how they are going to proceed, I guess the PET scan will tell us what stage it is and if the cancer is any where else in her body. The Dr did not tell my sisters a lot other than he would know more after the PET scan. I guess there are a lot of unanswered questions and I am trying not to worry until I know for sure what to worry about. Her faith in Jesus is weak but I know that she is also growing in the Lord, she has to give it over to HIM and I am not sure if she has done that yet. She says she prays and resently started attending our church,where my Hubby pastors, God is softening her, but she is a tough case to crack.

Thank you so much for your prayers Goody and thining about me. God Bless you, I will keep you posted. Love ya Denise

Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Oh, Denise, I am so sorry to hear that news. We will offer it up to the Lord and allow it to be in HIS hands where it will be go according to HIS will and plan. There are GREAT things to be learned and experienced in these trying times....please take faith in that and know that you are not alone in all of this.

I am not too familiar with non small cell cancer vs. small cell?? Is one better than the other???

I will pray that the PET Scan offers you and your family more hope and clarifies what lies before you. Of course only the Lord knows how things ultimately will proceed. If you read the latest news of my brother things have proceeded much differently than anybody every thought, Praise the Lord!!!

Please come here if you need to talk or share your fears and KNOW that I will be here for you. Is there anything I can do to take some of the burden from you??? I know that ((((((((HUGS)))))))))) do help but if there is anything else I can do for you PLEASE let me know.

Love and prayers ~ Goody

Closed Thread