It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
(female)

teresa1991 HB User
so scared

Hi my name is teresa. We have just found out that my sister has lung cancer.
we are all devistated as we lost my dad 3yrs ago to it and his sister two years ago.
My sister is only 40. we are waiting to hear back from the docs to see what we do from here. But we are all so scared for her. she gave up the smokes 7 weeks ago and where so happy for her but now it ow god i can not even imagine the road ahead. I am going to my doc tomorrow as i want to get of the smokes myself. Is there a chance it is hereditary "spelling check". Lung cancer that is.
Please if anyone can answer my post i would be very gratful x x
Teresa Dublin

Old 09-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

bkerber HB User
Re: so scared

teresa,
I know that the doctors play down the heredity thing, but I think you can be more suceptible to getting it with passed down genes. My dads dad had it and so did my dad, I think thats more than a coincidence. Good luck getting off the cigarettes and Im sorry about you sister.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
(female)

teresa1991 HB User
Smile Re: so scared

HI Bkerber.
Thanks for the reply.
I had a good long talk with my doc today got the champix tablets so hopefully my road to quiting will not be to hard. Take care Teresa x x

Old 09-06-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
(female)

teresa1991 HB User
Unhappy Re: so scared

Hi well we found out so far yesterday that my sister has small cell loung cancer,
we have not spoken to the docs yet as to see if she can be treated or if it is a case of how long she has left.
I would really love to hear of anyone who has this form of cancer as i am so scared for her . my dad and his two sisters died of this. my sis is so young her life is still to be lived but yet we are all on freeze mode. i am so trying to be strong for her, but when i am at home i am falling apart.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
(female)

courtenaynt HB User

My mother had small cell lung cancer. It does respond to chemo well, but it's aggressive. Are there specific questions you have? I am so sorry you're going through this. You don't have to be strong--or at least that's not the most important thing. The most important thing is that you're there.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
(female)

jeaniek HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your sister.
My dad had small cell - it is a scary thing to go through, but just being there supporting your sister is a wonderful thing. As mentioned in the previous reply, it does respond well to treatment, depending on the stage. What helped me care for my Dad the most is doing a ton of research, although you're never quite prepared for everything, it helped immensely with what to expect, what treatments are possible, etc.
Jeanie

Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
(female)

teresa1991 HB User

Hi thanks for reply courtenaynt.
the cancer has spread outside the lung, it is in her trouth.
her chemo on monday.
She is 42 yrs old and her whole life ahead of her. that is why this is so sad.
We are praying that with the chemo it will stop it spreading any where else.
she is also finding it very hard to swallow food aso i am afraid of her loosing to much weight.
god i do not know where my head is with all of this . and if i am like this god love my sister as to what is going trough her own head. i just want to be ther for her and help her trought it all.
will post and let you know how she is getting on .
talk son
Teresa x x

Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
(female)

teresa1991 HB User

Hi Jean,
Thank you for the reply,
Yes it is scarey, And i am trying to be strong for her.
they have let her home for a few days before her chemo starts, it is hard as she lives 50 miles away from me and trying to be there for and knowing i can is what is hurting.
but i do ring her adn let her know i am always going to be there for her,
I am praying every day for her adn everyone else who is going trough this,
please god some day a cure will be found. x x x x

Old 10-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
(male)

josephwando HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa1991 View Post
Hi well we found out so far yesterday that my sister has small cell loung cancer,
we have not spoken to the docs yet as to see if she can be treated or if it is a case of how long she has left.
I would really love to hear of anyone who has this form of cancer as i am so scared for her . my dad and his two sisters died of this. my sis is so young her life is still to be lived but yet we are all on freeze mode. i am so trying to be strong for her, but when i am at home i am falling apart.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
(male)

josephwando HB User

Hi Teresa...i am a 57 year old male in remission from stage 4 small cell lung cancer. Your sister is young enough that the oncologist may be able to pursue aggressive treatment. All is not lost, it is not a death sentence, they have some remarkable new drugs. if she is a "responder" she may get very good results. If at all possible, i highly recommend that you go with her to her appointments. this is very helpful for both of you..if you can't go, tell her to find a close friend that can...good luck and keep the faith all is not lost
Joseph

Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa1991;31***51
Hi my name is teresa. We have just found out that my sister has lung cancer.
we are all devistated as we lost my dad 3yrs ago to it and his sister two years ago.
My sister is only 40. we are waiting to hear back from the docs to see what we do from here. But we are all so scared for her. she gave up the smokes 7 weeks ago and where so happy for her but now it ow god i can not even imagine the road ahead. I am going to my doc tomorrow as i want to get of the smokes myself. Is there a chance it is hereditary "spelling check". Lung cancer that is.
Please if anyone can answer my post i would be very gratful x x
Teresa Dublin
Hi Teresa, your sister quit smoking 7 weeks ago? How or what made her find out she had lung cancer? Sorry if this is a silly question. I only ask because my mother had stage 4 small cell lung cancer and it was only discovered when she had a seizure in my kitchen, until then there was no other symptom other than the fact she got terrible bronchitus yearly. She never really had a cough, she would complain her back was sore but blamed that on her bed. I had suggested a few times that she should go for a chest check up because I always worried about her getting lc but she would just brush it off and say "I had a chest x-ray when I had my bronchitus and it was ok" I don't really believe that the usual chest x-ray shows too much when it comes to lung cancer don't know why. Also I am with you on wondering if lc could be hereditary within the cells.

I quit smoking eight years ago but I still fear I could get lc and I also worry about my sister who is 49, she quit for a few months and started up again and probably smokes more than ever now. Yu also here about these people who quit 20 years ago and then started up again and a short time later found out they had lc. Peter Jennings quit for 20 years and then started to smoke and then there it was. It's a scary curious thing for me because it is certainly an awful way to pay for something people had no idea the reality of. It's cruel and unfair.

I will be thinking about you and your very young sister, I know if anything happened to my sister I would fight so hard for her because losing her would be like losing myself. I lost a chunk of myself when I lost my mom who was my best friend. Take care Theresa and maybe do some of your own research, gather as much information as you can. Maybe have your sister come to this site for support as well. It's sad, sorry.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM   #12
(female)

SanDee53 HB User

Hi Teresa, I am sorry to hear about you sister. I lost both my parents to lung cancer. They both were heavy smokers since they were teenagers. When my dad died I made a memory board for his funeral. Going through all his pictures I was shoked to see almost very picture of him he had a cig in his hand. Holding me as a baby when he was 21 there was that cig. With his buddies at 16 there was that cig. Back then they did not have the warnings that they have today. I just do not know why kids today smoke. They do it because they think it makes them look big when in fact it does the opposite.

I have 4 grown children and 2 smoke and 2 don't. I talk till I am blue in the face. They have watched both grandparents die and it did not phase them. I am not a smoker and either is my husband. I do not want to bury my children due to this terrible disease. After my mother died Dec 16' 06 I talked to my Dr. about the chances of me getting it. He asked if my parents smoked around me and I said...all the time! As a kid I remember long tips in the car and them smoking one cig after another. He said I need a chest Xray every year. Teresa, I would recommend you do the same and everyone in your family. Hoping if it does appear they will catch it very early.
SanDee

Closed Thread