It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
(male)

hearrean HB User
Question Scared.....

I'm trying to get some opinions of a recent finding. FYI: I'm a 58 year old male former smoker, but quit 5 years ago.
I had a follow-up CT scan done last week and saw the Pulmonoligist today. The Radiologist written findings were as follows: An irregular 20 X 19 X 18 mm medial right upper lobe mass has developed closely associated with the suprahilar region. This is highly suspicious for neoplastic disease. Associated with this lesion is a second mass which is suprahilar in location & does extend into the mediastinum, and again this is most likely a neoplasm & this component measures 33 X 24 X 24 mm & irregular. This most likely represents a malignant bronchogenic neoplasm, however a PET scan is recommended for further investigation.
The Pulmonologist recommends surgery to remove & immediately sent me over to a Thoracic surgeon. The surgeon recommends a bone scan, PET scan & breathing function test be done prior to surgery. The breathing function test he says will determine how much of the lung can be removed safely. I can say that I had a breathing function test done about a year ago & it only showed I had about 53% lung function. This is obviously due to my prior years of smoking.
Has anyone else here experienced this & can give me any words of encouragement? Right now this has hit me hard & quick & I don't mind saying I'm scared out of my mind. It just seems that everyone is moving so fast! Should I get another opinion from an actual cancer center like MD Anderson. The Dr. did say it's slightly possible (20%) it's not cancer, but most likely is. I'd appreciate any feedback..

Ken

Last edited by hearrean; 10-09-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

Clerklady HB User
Re: Scared.....

We are going through this with my Mom, a PET scan will show cancer if anywhere else, and also you are right about the breathing test, 53% is good, my mother tested at 14%, she smokes and also has a lung disease, so no surgery for her, she has non small cell lung cancer. Get the test done ASAP, and find an onocolgist if cancer shows in the PET scan.....It may seem like they are moving fast, let them, we are waiting for her oncologist to see my mom and go from there with radiation or chemo, the waiting is terrible.
Good luck and I will be praying for you....God Bless Denise

Old 11-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
(male)

josephwando HB User
Re: Scared.....

Get another opinion...i live in tacoma washington but traveled to Houston Texas for treatment at Herman Memorial Hospital. My oncologist trained at MD Anderson. He was wonderful...he assesed my overall health and started me on a protocol of Cisplatin and VP16 along with radiation. I was advanced stage 4 but i am now in remission. no signs of cancer although it is probable that it will eventually come back...keep the faith, all is not lost..treatment is tough but worth it. Usually they can tell by the second round of treatment if you are responding positively. If so, you can continue treatment with a good chance of beating it.
take care and good luck
with time, the scary part goes away and you just except what is happening.

Closed Thread