It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
(female)

LaurasHope7 HB User
Question Is it really cancer?

My hubby went to ER for dizziness, they admitted him...gave him an x-ray..ctscan on his head, (no other tests)...came back and said he had a golf ball size mass on the x-ray....and 6 lesions on the brain, then they called the lesions," masses".....he's not coughing up blood....he can breath fine....dizziness gone, he's been a smoker for 50 yrs...he's 69....acts and looks younger.....---..he has no pain....no headaches...., they performed a biopsy..(mind you the DR said golf ball size).....they told him they would only stick 1 needle in...they stuck 3 needles through his chest into his lung.....the DR came back and said they didn't get anything...they said they missed....----
NOW!!!!...I'm thinking he could have walking pneumonia.....and the lesions are MS......after a few tests they took...they diagnosed him with lung cancer...and it spread to the brain......my question is....where are the symptoms?????...thank you to anyone that can tell me...is it cancer....or MS....or....is the DR not doing his homework.........LaurasHope7

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User
Re: Is it really cancer?

Sadly, symptoms of LC mostly only appear when it's at a very advanced stage. I am guessing if the tests showed it was LC then that's what it is.

Have they suggested treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

I have stage IV NSCLC and had no symptoms at all when diagnosed last December. Even today, my only symptoms seem to be pain from the bone metastasis, which just showed up recently. Other than that I feel fine.
With 50 yrs of smoking in your husbands history, he (unfortunately) has the one marker that is about 100% certain for predicting lung cancer in a patient.
I smoked for 30 years.
It is hard to accept a diagnosis of lung cancer, I know, but the sooner you accept it and get treatment for him the better. Or you can seek a second opinion, which is everyone's right.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
(female)

LaurasHope7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xant View Post
Sadly, symptoms of LC mostly only appear when it's at a very advanced stage. I am guessing if the tests showed it was LC then that's what it is.

Have they suggested treatment?
Thank you for your post, yes..they suggested chemo....and radiation..but he's getting a 2nd opinion.....thank you...Laura

Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
(female)

LaurasHope7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLASRULES View Post
I have stage IV NSCLC and had no symptoms at all when diagnosed last December. Even today, my only symptoms seem to be pain from the bone metastasis, which just showed up recently. Other than that I feel fine.
With 50 yrs of smoking in your husbands history, he (unfortunately) has the one marker that is about 100% certain for predicting lung cancer in a patient.
I smoked for 30 years.
It is hard to accept a diagnosis of lung cancer, I know, but the sooner you accept it and get treatment for him the better. Or you can seek a second opinion, which is everyone's right.
also...thank you for your reply.....your right.....2nd opinion...my hubby told me its his own fault....smoking for 50 yrs...my mom also died from smoking...triple heart bypass....after this operation....she never came home...I miss her terribly........anyways...I'm sorry for you to....but thanks for reply.....Laura

Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User

Lung cancer is so deadly because it is usually found in the advanced stages because there are often no symptoms or the symptoms are so vague that no one associates them with lung cancer. Often the first sign is shortness of breath when a pleural effusion developes and by then it is at least a stage IIIB if not stage IV: or a tumor gets so large it collapses a lung and once again shortness of breath is what gets the person to the doctor. Many here never had a cough or coughed up blood.

You will find the folks here will help you get through this so feel free to ask any questions or just come to vent . JanMarie

Old 11-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

My mom is currently battling sslc....but back in 1997...my Dad had a stiff neck, no breathing difficulties, no cough...started exhibiting stroke symptoms...so was given a cat scan...in the afternoon....and we were called by 6p to the DRs...who wanted immediate admission due to large mass found in his brain (size of baseball)...once in the hospital and on steriods to reduce the pressure in the brain ...they concentrated on lungs as a spot was seen...after needle biopsy was given diagnosis of nsclc...he opted to have tumor removed from brain...and although expected...after examination of tumor...comfirmed it was his lung cancer that had spread...it is such a scary disease...as with my dad...and now my mom...there were no REAL "lung" symptoms...what you would think to expect....but is there anyways...my personal advice is to get over the diagnosis...and concentrate on quality of life, curative treatments...everything you read on factual prognosis...is so dismal...but there are those who are able to beat it...you see percentages that only say 5-20% have a 5 year survival...depending on the type and stage...but who is to say whether your loved one will be in that successful percentage...there is hope...thinking of you...c

Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
(female)

LaurasHope7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol1961 View Post
My mom is currently battling sslc....but back in 1997...my Dad had a stiff neck, no breathing difficulties, no cough...started exhibiting stroke symptoms...so was given a cat scan...in the afternoon....and we were called by 6p to the DRs...who wanted immediate admission due to large mass found in his brain (size of baseball)...once in the hospital and on steriods to reduce the pressure in the brain ...they concentrated on lungs as a spot was seen...after needle biopsy was given diagnosis of nsclc...he opted to have tumor removed from brain...and although expected...after examination of tumor...comfirmed it was his lung cancer that had spread...it is such a scary disease...as with my dad...and now my mom...there were no REAL "lung" symptoms...what you would think to expect....but is there anyways...my personal advice is to get over the diagnosis...and concentrate on quality of life, curative treatments...everything you read on factual prognosis...is so dismal...but there are those who are able to beat it...you see percentages that only say 5-20% have a 5 year survival...depending on the type and stage...but who is to say whether your loved one will be in that successful percentage...there is hope...thinking of you...c
Carol...thank you...you been most helpful..thank you...Laura

Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
(female)

LaurasHope7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janmarie2 View Post
Lung cancer is so deadly because it is usually found in the advanced stages because there are often no symptoms or the symptoms are so vague that no one associates them with lung cancer. Often the first sign is shortness of breath when a pleural effusion developes and by then it is at least a stage IIIB if not stage IV: or a tumor gets so large it collapses a lung and once again shortness of breath is what gets the person to the doctor. Many here never had a cough or coughed up blood.

You will find the folks here will help you get through this so feel free to ask any questions or just come to vent . JanMarie
Jan...thank you also.....anything is most helpful......Laura

Closed Thread