It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
(male)

erfan HB User
Clubbed Fingers

I have a bad back situation with 3 bulging discs, 2 levels of spinal stenosis and facet hypertrophy. It is very painful and I wear a 100 mcg Fentanyl Patch changed 48 hours and take up to 4 30 mg Roxicodone daily for b/t.

But I have had some other issues as well for which, so far, tests have been negative. I have psoriasis on my hands and my left hand is numb often, and hurts to move so much that it is like the skin is ripping when I move my fingers. I have lost some weight and have no appetite. I usually have chills to the point where at home I wear 2 shirts, 2 jackets AND a leather jacket at night. I have been itching and have started to get nose bleeds. Lately, I have had some wheezing.

Last week a blood test came back negative for lupus. But I'v e just noticed that my fingers are clubbed. Never noticed it before, but I compared my fingers to others. The tip of the fingers go around the top of the nails so that the nail bed does not rise off the tip of the finger.

I am not a "CANCER NUT" or one of these poeple who worry 24/7 about being sick. I happen to be a 49 year old with the body of an 80 year old and I am wondering if I should get a chest xray. A few years ago I had a touch of asthma and I had a xray in the ER. They called me back the next day because thery found a spot, but said it was just an artifact or shadow after I took a new xray.

I do feel a little trouble breathing, nothing major, and I am getting these weird aches and pains that feel that they come from deep inside me.

Should I tell the Doctor about the clubbing? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Janmarie2 HB User
Re: Clubbed Fingers

Alan,

Yes you should mention the clubbing to your doctor. Clubbed fingers are usually a result of low oxygen levels over a period of time thus one sees them in kids with cystic fibrosis and in adults with vaious lung diseases. For an asthmatic to have clubbed fingers the disease would have to be pretty bad not just an occassional wheeze or sometimes feeling short of breath or somewhat tight when you breath. Has the doctor ever checked the oxygen level in your blood? usually when oxygem is low the finger tips and or nail beds look somewhat blue depending on how bad it is verses the normal pink. All our cells need oxygen to work so if that level is low it could cause alot of different problems. Are you or where you ever a smoker or have you been around chemicals that could harm your lungs? Do you snore and have sleep apnea? These are just a few things to consider but yes mention the finger clubbing to you doctor. Good luck.

Closed Thread