It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
(female)

rosiekins HB User
My mom is very weak, don't know what to do.

Hi, everyone. I've posted here a few times, about my mom. She has small cell lung cancer, and was diagnosed in April. She was really bad off this summer, very weak and in the hospital for awhile. Things improved for a few months, but are now getting bad again.

The problem is, my mom has no appetite, and barely eats. She's so weak, she can hardly sit up, much less stand. We brought her to the doctor yesterday, who said that she just needs to eat more, because her latest blood results/other tests were normal. The chemo+radiation shrunk the cancer this summer, and it hasn't grown since. But it seems to me that something else is very wrong, because she is barely coherent, on top of being so weak.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and discovered something that helped? I'm going to try some protein shakes, and was wondering if anyone has some related food advice. I just feel so helpless and don't know what to do. She belongs in a hospital, IMO, but the doctors don't agree. Well...any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: My mom is very weak, don't know what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiekins View Post
Hi, everyone. I've posted here a few times, about my mom. She has small cell lung cancer, and was diagnosed in April. She was really bad off this summer, very weak and in the hospital for awhile. Things improved for a few months, but are now getting bad again.

The problem is, my mom has no appetite, and barely eats. She's so weak, she can hardly sit up, much less stand. We brought her to the doctor yesterday, who said that she just needs to eat more, because her latest blood results/other tests were normal. The chemo+radiation shrunk the cancer this summer, and it hasn't grown since. But it seems to me that something else is very wrong, because she is barely coherent, on top of being so weak.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and discovered something that helped? I'm going to try some protein shakes, and was wondering if anyone has some related food advice. I just feel so helpless and don't know what to do. She belongs in a hospital, IMO, but the doctors don't agree. Well...any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I we have gone throught the same thing w/ my mom as well...right now appetite is relative...her oncology nurse just reinforces having very small amounts...rather than focusing on meals per say. shakes are good...but just having plently of variety...in small portions like a banana...orange slices...differnt soups...sweets....but always small snack like portions...otherwise it would seem overwhelming to her..she would often refuse..but put in front of her with someone else eating helped...we found too ....if she was having trouble w/ her bowels...kept her feeling full...so worked to help her w/ that as well...keep trying...but you can't force her to eat..I have heard there are appetite stimulants that maybe her doc might want to try...take care...C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
(female)

nomadawn HB User

Hi,
I am so sorry to hear about your dear mum.
My mum has extensive Small Cell Lung Cancer, diagnosed April 2007.
She has had episodes of feeling weak, nauseous and lacking appetite. Each episode she became a little incoherant too.Both times it was due to dehydration. No real explanation but as soon as she ate a little and increased her fluid intake she felt better. She was also prescribed domperidone to relieve the nausea so she could start eating.
I realy hope you find that something helps soon
Wishing you all strength and peace
God bless
Debbie

Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

rosiekins HB User

Thank you for the replies! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone, and that this isn't a totally abnormal experience. Carol, my mom is also having bowel problems. Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try them. And nomadawn, the situations with our moms sound so, so similar. My mom has been dehydrated, too. She's back in the hospital right now. They say she has a bladder infection, and want to give her an MRI, to make sure she didn't have a mild stroke, or anything. Anyway, thanks you two! I really appreciate the advice and support.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiekins View Post
Thank you for the replies! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone, and that this isn't a totally abnormal experience. Carol, my mom is also having bowel problems. Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try them. And nomadawn, the situations with our moms sound so, so similar. My mom has been dehydrated, too. She's back in the hospital right now. They say she has a bladder infection, and want to give her an MRI, to make sure she didn't have a mild stroke, or anything. Anyway, thanks you two! I really appreciate the advice and support.
No thanks necessary...I think it is why we are all here....needing to know we are not alone in this...and everyone has different experiences...different treatments...different docs...different hospitals...so people can share what they have learned to help someone else...take care...and be well yourelf...C

Old 12-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

I am truly very sorry to hear about your mom (and everyone's loved one with lung cancer). My mom also was diagnosed with sclc last Dec. 06. She went through a remission this summer but starting getting worse again in Sept. She is really doing VERY poorly now. Rosekins, you mentioned your mom being incoherent and and no appetite. My mom has gone through the same things you are talking about. You see, when the cancer spread to her brain, she is sometimes "with it" and sometimes "not with it at all". Hospice put her on a drug called Decadron (dexamethasone) which is a steriod. It helps shrink the swelling around the brain tumors and also makes her hungry. Because of this drug alone, she is more aware of her surroundings and wants to eat (constantly). I've done a lot of research on this Decadron and it is a wonder drug but also a very wicked drug at the same time. There are so many horrible side effects that you really have to weigh the pros and cons for each individual as to whether or not it would be beneficial or detrimental to them. IT's something you might want to question to possibly help your mom. Take care and my prayers are with all of you.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
(female)

Clerklady HB User

Hello all,

My mother has a nsc cancer w/lymp node involvment, and is doing pretty well as far as side effects. But mother is experiencing the same things, she is now doing chemo and radiation. Only chemo for a weak and then off for 3, but radiation everyday. She is not having any symptoms other than loss of appatite. She also has RA the dr increased her predensone to make her hungry, she does not feel like eating, the cancer center is giving her fluids, when we ask for them. She is 75 and weighs 99#. We can not get her to eat or drink, I know she does not feel like it, but this will put in the hospital if not.....Any wise advice, God Bless you everyone, Denise

Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
(female)

feetofclay HB User

My husband was placed on a feeding tube when he did not eat. basically the pump feed him 24/7. It is not the same as solid food but it was high in calories and made a world of difference. Just a thought

Closed Thread