It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

madolyn HB User
PET scan results

What started out as a trip to the allergist has led to a PET scan with several "hot spots". The initial X-Ray showed a 5mm nodule on my left lung. The CT scan showed the nodule as well as some unexplained masses/debris on my right lung. The doctor gave me the choice of waiting three months and checking again or getting a PET scan. I chose the PET scan. With a scan scheduled on Friday and a follow up appointment on the next Friday I walked out of the office with an inhaler and PREVACID for my cough. The week between the test and my appointment - I hadn't heard anything from the doctor and felt that was a very good sign. When I went to the office Friday and was shown my PET scan results and his recommendation for our next move, I was in shock. Anyhoo...I have an appointment for a bronchoscopy on Monday with an appointment on Wednesday for the results. If the results are negative or inconclusive the next step is a mediastinoscopy. If they are positive for cancer then we start treatment accordingly. I'm sure that I should have asked a thousand questions but walked out of there in somewhat of a daze. Is anyone familiar with these tests? What else would make "hot spots" appear on a PET scan? recent blood work shows a high platelet count, low MPV and LYMPH % and a high NEUT%...whatever they may mean. Needless to say I am very scared!

Old 01-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: PET scan results

Quote:
Originally Posted by madolyn View Post
What started out as a trip to the allergist has led to a PET scan with several "hot spots". The initial X-Ray showed a 5mm nodule on my left lung. The CT scan showed the nodule as well as some unexplained masses/debris on my right lung. The doctor gave me the choice of waiting three months and checking again or getting a PET scan. I chose the PET scan. With a scan scheduled on Friday and a follow up appointment on the next Friday I walked out of the office with an inhaler and PREVACID for my cough. The week between the test and my appointment - I hadn't heard anything from the doctor and felt that was a very good sign. When I went to the office Friday and was shown my PET scan results and his recommendation for our next move, I was in shock. Anyhoo...I have an appointment for a bronchoscopy on Monday with an appointment on Wednesday for the results. If the results are negative or inconclusive the next step is a mediastinoscopy. If they are positive for cancer then we start treatment accordingly. I'm sure that I should have asked a thousand questions but walked out of there in somewhat of a daze. Is anyone familiar with these tests? What else would make "hot spots" appear on a PET scan? recent blood work shows a high platelet count, low MPV and LYMPH % and a high NEUT%...whatever they may mean. Needless to say I am very scared!

Hi...I am sorry for what you are going through...and it is always very scary when you don't know if it's something...or nothing...I think people could give you hundreds of different scenerios....causes..if it was me...and it's not...it is you...but I would prepare for hearing that it is cancer and get myself set w/ a bunch of questions to be answered...you are already worrying...so if it turns out to be nothing...you will have such an incredible day...if it turns out to be cancer...you will be as prepared as you can...I am praying for you to have that "incredibly day"...but understand the uncertaintity until you get results...w/ my Mom...they were able to give us what they felt they were looking at right after the bronchoscopy...which gave us a few days to digest and get questions ready when we went in for the official results...not sure what all the blood levels could mean...that's why there are the docs...never be afraid to call them back...if qestions come up after you leave the office...that is why they are there...and get paid for..I am wishing the best for you..and will be in my thought tomorrow....hopefully just nothing...and even if it turns out to be something...sounds like you have very detailed oriented doctors...and there are a lot of successes out there...take care....C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread