It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

DawnieD1217 HB User
Lung Cancer Life Expectancy?

Hiya to all -

I've been reading y'alls life stories and being able to connect with so many. My mom has been diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer (which was on her B-day August 29th, 2007) that had spread to a spot on her brain and a lymph node in her neck. They were able to remove all the tumor from her brain - yeah!! She is responding very well to Chemo and may not need Radiation. When we first met with her Oncologist, he said that the longest survival rate from this type of cancer is 5 years max. Does anyone know of anyone who has exceeded this time frame?? I know all Lung cancer patients are different - due to age, the stage they are in, how far it has spread, etc., etc. But any responses would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much...... **HUGS** to all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
(male)

chaz50 HB User
Re: Lung Cancer Life Expectancy?

My dad was diagnosed in Nov and died in July; my mom ten years later was diagnosed with same thing, non small cell LC with mets to brain. She lived two years. It’s impossible to say. Good luck on your search, there are a lot of websites dedicated to this subject.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

DawnieD1217 HB User

Thanks for the reply.....

Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
(female)

yakgoddess HB User

I'm so sorry...I remember what that felt like. It's scary and infuriating! Have hope, my Mom was diagnosed about 2 years ago with extensive small-cell lung cancer. No one expected her to live this long. She has undergone several types of chemo as well as radiation and experimental studies. She's still here and fighting.

Recently though, we've found that the cancer is in her liver (has been in the bones since the diagnosis) and it's giving her a great deal of pain. That's the one thing she said she couldn't handle. She's always said that she'd fight all the way as long as they could keep the pain under control. She went to the Onocologist today...we'll see if there are any options left for her.

I live 5 hours from my Mom and have a young child so I can't be with her as much as I want and that is the #1 thing I would say to you...just be there. I go about once a month to see her and try to stay for a few days at least.

As for survival time....it's a huge variable and I haven't met a Dr. yet who will give me numbers or statistics.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnieD1217 View Post
Hiya to all -

I've been reading y'alls life stories and being able to connect with so many. My mom has been diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer (which was on her B-day August 29th, 2007) that had spread to a spot on her brain and a lymph node in her neck. They were able to remove all the tumor from her brain - yeah!! She is responding very well to Chemo and may not need Radiation. When we first met with her Oncologist, he said that the longest survival rate from this type of cancer is 5 years max. Does anyone know of anyone who has exceeded this time frame?? I know all Lung cancer patients are different - due to age, the stage they are in, how far it has spread, etc., etc. But any responses would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much...... **HUGS** to all
I think you probably already realize from your replies...there is no b/w answer.....every person is different...their disease...their stage of disease...their physical condition...an even their own personal beliefs and inner spirit...My Dad died almost 10 years ago from nsclc...diagnosed in November...passed 3 months later...had tumor in his head that was removed...and the cancer hadn't gone anywhere else...then this summer...my mom diagnosed w/ sclc...which is far more agressive...it had spread to her sternum...back...liver...and kidneys...and she made it 6 months past diagnosis...and her death this month came on quickly....Dr. didn't even predict...he was still treating...yet I have read on this site...people w/ sclc that are still with us years later...even though chemo didn't work...or cancer had already spread...so supports the idea that it is soooo individual...and the Doctors will give you averages...they will never know for sure...and being the true optimist...even through hard times...there are always a few who "win the lottery" and are a part of the 1-5% that beat all the odds....personally ...I looked a the worst case scenerios w/ the time frames...and planned my time...and my personal time w/ my Mom around that...I was not disappointed...I had her longer than all the stats I ever read about w/ her condition...once we knew she wasn't responding to the treatment...and was with her with her passed...w/ no regrets..except that she wasn't one of the "lottery winners" in beating the cancer prognosis odds...I posted and searched...for that number...when should i prepare to lose her...if that is going to happen....no one could give me that...and no one could...it was all up to my Mom...not sure if I rambled on too much...if this makes any sense...but I am here...and sending you all good thoughts and well wishes...C

PS...not sure what type she has...makes a difference...but realize...that every month...year...of survival...may have a new treatment option...that could make the difference!

Old 01-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. My Mom was diagnosed with extensive stage small cell lung cancer in Dec., 07 and they said she probably had it about eight months prior to that. So she has been fighting this for approximately one year and nine months. No one had expected her to live this long. She is also an amputee (left leg) which only makes matters more difficult for her now as she has very little strength. Anyway...know one really knows how long any one will live with lung cancer...just live one day at a time. Take care....

Last edited by SherryAnne; 01-24-2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: wrong year given

Old 01-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryAnne View Post
I am very sorry to hear about your mom. My Mom was diagnosed with extensive stage small cell lung cancer in Dec., 06 and they said she probably had it about eight months prior to that. So she has been fighting this for approximately one year and nine months. No one had expected her to live this long. She is also an amputee (left leg) which only makes matters more difficult for her now as she has very little strength. Anyway...know one really knows how long any one will live with lung cancer...just live one day at a time. Take care....
You and your Mom was who I was referring too...gave me hope w/ the sclc.....and the hope is still alive and well...my mom just wasn't one in the good odds....but i pray that their are are so many more that prove the "odds" wrong...and it becoes a positive trend....love...C

Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
(female)

DawnieD1217 HB User

Thanks to all who have posted. Everyone has been very helpful, and honest. Which I truly appreciate. I guess I'm just on that road to prepare oneself. It's just that she is doing SO awesome with all that she has endured. I can't even imagine her going down hill. SO, I will be optimistic and I welcome everyone's posts and any words of encouragement. (All these years I've been a member on this site, I never thought I would be a part of this particular message board)!! All I can say, that whatever type of cancer one has or knows of someone with it, it just sucks. My Uncle was diagnosed last Valentine's Day with Stage III Lung cancer. He went through radiation and chemo, was doing great and then about the time my mom went in to have her tumor removed from her brain, he ended up with pneumonia. She was in 1 hospital for a week and he was in another across town for 10 days. I brought my Uncle home on a Wednesday night and he was doing great, said "Pookie, I'll see you tomorrow" and my mom called me the next morning saying he passed away during the night - September 20th, 2007. He wasn't even home for 12 hours before he passed on. (This is my dad's only brother - and my dad, mom, and uncle all moved here from California last year to be near me and my family) I had a lot of guilt and a lot of blaming. I felt horrible because he told me he was dying and I told him there was no way I was taking him home for him to die - he wasn't going to die tomorrow, or next week, next month or next year. Who knew?? And then I was so mad at the nurses who released him. I had concern about all the blood he was coughing up but they said he was fine and to just monitor it. Anyhow, sorry for the rambling. Today is his birthday and I'm just missing him. Anyhow, I wish I could give y'all a big hug because this cancer has entered your life just the same. And like I said, it sucks, but knowing that there are others out there that can relate, it is so very helpful.....Thanks again **HUGS**[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
(male)

hearrean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnieD1217 View Post
Hiya to all -

Knowing what I now know, I would not be happy with a Doc who made a ridiculous statement that "the longest someone with this type of cancer has lived is 5 years max." Statistically this may be true, but it is definately not the case in the real world which has real-world survivors!
The simple fact that everyone's DNA is different & also including things like age, health, diet, fitness level, etc. make his statement even more absurd. There are plenty of Stage IV survivors out here who have exceeded that 5 year mark. Unfortunately many people, when hearing this type of statement from their DOC, simply give up & then become a part of those horrible stats. We need hope & slowly, but surely, there will be DOCs who will eventually understand this & stop quoting from outdated-stats & limited control groups!! It accomplishes nothing for the patient!!

Ken

Last edited by hearrean; 01-28-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
(male)

my2005gto HB User

My dad was diagnosed July 13th. 2007 he died on Nov. 10th. 2007 61yrs old

Stage IV Lung to the brain and spine.

He was healthy until the time he thought he had pneumonia which turned out not to be the case.

When he started his treatments the Dr's said around a year to live but that too turned out not to be the case.

After going through all this with my dad I have promised myself if I go through the same thing as my dad I will not opt for any treatments as I seen how horrible my dad went down hill, very fast.

Dad kept asking, when does the quality of life start!! It never did!

If ungodly amounts of drugs and treatments equal quality, I'll pass!!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2005gto View Post
My dad was diagnosed July 13th. 2007 he died on Nov. 10th. 2007 61yrs old

Stage IV Lung to the brain and spine.

He was healthy until the time he thought he had pneumonia which turned out not to be the case.

When he started his treatments the Dr's said around a year to live but that too turned out not to be the case.

After going through all this with my dad I have promised myself if I go through the same thing as my dad I will not opt for any treatments as I seen how horrible my dad went down hill, very fast.

Dad kept asking, when does the quality of life start!! It never did!

If ungodly amounts of drugs and treatments equal quality, I'll pass!!
These are such individual feelings...but I felt the need to respond...my mom was diagnosed with a very progressive breast cancer well over 12 years ago and endured 10 months of chemo after a redical masectomy...but she lived...and had great quality of life for years....this past Spring ...her best friend found out she had melanoma...had radiation...within 2 weeks was a mere shell of herself as it had spread....within another 2 weeks she had passed...which devastated my mom...this summer...end of june...My Mom during regular f/u was told she probably had extensive lung cancer...and I remember vividly...as we waited for the final results...My Mom told me that if it had spread...she didn't want treatment...she was feeling good and wanted to feel that way as long as possible...but when we sat in the Drs office for the final report...which was that she had lung cancer...it had already spread...she opted for everything he could give her....3x she did this...even tho she wasn't feeling great any longer...and each time the situation ...prognosis looked worse....I always told myself as well that I would not opt for treatment...but in watching my mom...I realized...she was not ready to go...she still had fight left in her...and felt if by doing treatment....even tho not always great quality of life...if it gave her a chance to stay longer here...she opted for it...an I needed to support her...even tho I hated to watch her deteriote with the treatments....she passed right after New years..but since her breast cancer 12 years ago...she and all of us...had great memories...she was able to watch her grandkids grow to almost adult...was able to take part in so any special times in their lives...even in the last 6 months of her life....we were able to spend such special times...and even through her hard physical days...she got such joy from that....and you never know if the treatment WILL work...like it did for her breast cancer 12 years ago...or the stories you read on the post where people beat all odds ...and each additional month could give new treatments..new hope....so I know now that I can not personally say that I would NEVER...I hope and pray...that I never am in that moment of decision...but realize now...that if God forbid I am...I will make that decision...at that moment...with how I feel at that moment...and what I may still need to do or see in my lifetime...again...no wrong thoughts either way...just realized what a personal decision...and so much...can only be made when the moment is there...wishing you all welll....C

Closed Thread