It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

blueeyez_10 HB User
My stepdad will be starting chemo treatment soon

I'm new to this board and everything to do with lung cancer. My stepdad had most of his right lung removed and some lymph nodes a couple of weeks ago. He is doing as well as can be expected. The doctors say they removed everything that was cancerous and then some for safety measures. But they want him to have a couple of chemo treatments.

My question is about coping with the side effects of chemo. Are there any tips that could help him.

The doctors seem really optismtic.

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 01-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
(male)

Mike 49 HB User
Re: My stepdad will be starting chemo treatment soon

Hi,
Im new to this board also. I had 18 weeks of chemotherapy. I'ts hard to say what kind of effects your stepdad will have, everyone is different.
I took anti nausea drugs, worked really well. I was tired usually the day after also had shots to controll white and red blood cells. Wish your stepfather the best, Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: My stepdad will be starting chemo treatment soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyez_10 View Post
I'm new to this board and everything to do with lung cancer. My stepdad had most of his right lung removed and some lymph nodes a couple of weeks ago. He is doing as well as can be expected. The doctors say they removed everything that was cancerous and then some for safety measures. But they want him to have a couple of chemo treatments.

My question is about coping with the side effects of chemo. Are there any tips that could help him.

The doctors seem really optismtic.

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hi...the results of his surgery sounds very encouraging! Chemo...depends on what type...and it is very individual....my mom had various types with her earlier breast cancer...and more recent lung cancer...she actually tolerated it very well...they gave her pill before the treatment to prevent nausea and sent her home w/ some just in case....only took 2 of the pills over a 6 month period...felt tired at times right after for a day or two...and just took it really easy...slept...listened to her body...whichever chemo the dr. suggests...he should go over possible side affects and suggestions to alleviate or prevent...wishing you all well...C

Last edited by carol1961; 01-25-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: additional info to include

Closed Thread