It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

teresa22 HB User
my husband has just been diagnosed

Hello all,

This is still very fresh and new to me. We received a call on New Year's Eve that there was a problem with my husbands chest x-ray and it needed to be retaken. 2nd x-ray showed a mass. Ct scan confirmed a tumor. Spoke with oncologist and tumor is 3.25cm with a possible spot on the liver. He has had MRI, bone scan, brain scan and another Ct scan. We will find out results from all tests tomorrow and he is scheduled to begin chemo tomorrow. He is 53 and I am 45. These were suppose to be the golden years....both girls are grown and away from home. I have so many emotions and don't know what to expect. We are hoping cancer is just in the lung and has not gone to lymph nodes, liver or brain. But so far all we have gotten is bad news. He is being strong for his family and actually apologized to me for putting me through this. I just don't know what to expect. Would love to hear any feed back. I have been to every appointment and test. Is there anything else I can do???? Even with insurance the copays are just outrageous. One prescription from the oncologist to "beef" him up before chemo was $50 copay...pharmacist said it would be $650 w/o insurance! How do people survive w/o insurance?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: my husband has just been diagnosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa22 View Post
Hello all,

This is still very fresh and new to me. We received a call on New Year's Eve that there was a problem with my husbands chest x-ray and it needed to be retaken. 2nd x-ray showed a mass. Ct scan confirmed a tumor. Spoke with oncologist and tumor is 3.25cm with a possible spot on the liver. He has had MRI, bone scan, brain scan and another Ct scan. We will find out results from all tests tomorrow and he is scheduled to begin chemo tomorrow. He is 53 and I am 45. These were suppose to be the golden years....both girls are grown and away from home. I have so many emotions and don't know what to expect. We are hoping cancer is just in the lung and has not gone to lymph nodes, liver or brain. But so far all we have gotten is bad news. He is being strong for his family and actually apologized to me for putting me through this. I just don't know what to expect. Would love to hear any feed back. I have been to every appointment and test. Is there anything else I can do???? Even with insurance the copays are just outrageous. One prescription from the oncologist to "beef" him up before chemo was $50 copay...pharmacist said it would be $650 w/o insurance! How do people survive w/o insurance?
I am so sorry with what you are going through...been there...just confused why he is slated to start chemo before all test results are back...because chemo...depends on type of cancer which is usually done through a biopsy...and depending on the type....sclc....for example....may be treated w/ surgery and radiation...possible chemo if it had spread....sclc....rarely has surgery or radiation....but almost always chemo.....has he had a biopsy to determine the type of lung cancer yet? As for insurance..my Mom had awesome insurance...never cost more than $10 for anything...but have sadly read posts from others who were going to have trouble paying for any treatment ...no answers for that question....in my thoughts...C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
(female)

teresa22 HB User

he has non-small cell...his oncologist wanted to set up chemo if it is needed tomorrow...but has told us that if surgery is required he will meet with surgeon tomorrow. His tumor is right where the bronchial tubes enter into the lung and she said it is just a difficult place to operate. Like I said this is all new to us. Treatment will vary depending on if other areas are affected. Believe me I have a page full of questions for her. Not ready to let him go...

Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
he has non-small cell...his oncologist wanted to set up chemo if it is needed tomorrow...but has told us that if surgery is required he will meet with surgeon tomorrow. His tumor is right where the bronchial tubes enter into the lung and she said it is just a difficult place to operate. Like I said this is all new to us. Treatment will vary depending on if other areas are affected. Believe me I have a page full of questions for her. Not ready to let him go...

No need to let him go...How did they determine he had nclc....did they do a biopsy? Did they do a brochiosopy (sp?) ? Either way...there is hope...there are treatments....you just need to know what you are dealing with.....and educate yourself on all of it...so you know what to ask...what to expect...and we all are here to support...and share our experiences......all the best...C

Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
(female)

teresa22 HB User

yes he had all of that before we met with oncologist, she is the one the set up the other tests. I am just so scared and have researched on the internet just looking for any and all answers I can find. Thank you C for the responses. You have know idea how much this means. My best friend is a cancer survivor and also the widow of a cancer patient and she has been a great deal of support. Thank you for the replies.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
yes he had all of that before we met with oncologist, she is the one the set up the other tests. I am just so scared and have researched on the internet just looking for any and all answers I can find. Thank you C for the responses. You have know idea how much this means. My best friend is a cancer survivor and also the widow of a cancer patient and she has been a great deal of support. Thank you for the replies.
I have always told my kids never to go to chat rooms..or message boards...but when i started searching for help w/ my mom...i found this very supportive place...i posted constantly at the beginning...just needed soeone to hear me...respond...and i had a lot of people that viewed ...but hardly any responses...but the few that responded made me feel like I was not alone....and eventually i got more responses and had a a good lifeline for myself...i respond to almost everyone...as i remember waiting for just someone to respond to me...I didn't even care if they had the answer...i just needed someone to be there....so i am here..if i have info I can share I will...if not...I am still here for you ...got to go to bed now...work in the morning...Love...C

Old 01-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: my husband has just been diagnosed

Teresa

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I've been through it too with my husband many years ago. He was 37 when the doctor told us he had bladder cancer.

The best advice I can give you is to be there for him and don't forget to take care of you. My prayers are with you and your husband.

Sincerely Nadine

Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
(female)

teresa22 HB User

Thanks...in fact I just emailed my daughter and told her about this site and told her someone had actually responded and that I thought it could help her too. Thanks Carol. God Bless!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
(female)

teresa22 HB User

Wow... I am just over whelmed by the responses. Thank you Nadine.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Thanks...in fact I just emailed my daughter and told her about this site and told her someone had actually responded and that I thought it could help her too. Thanks Carol. God Bless!

I am so glad...and i REALLY have to go to bed...but one last thing to share...i have dear friends...and even some extended family members...who were there for me...but never could really understand what I ...or my Mom ...was really going through...but I found that "real" understanding here...and a venue to vent...when i was sad...frustrated...or needing someone to give me hope...everyone here has been there...done that...or where you are feeling at that moment...it is such a safe place to share...vent....cry...laugh....I am so glad we have connected...i hope your daughter does as well....goodnight...take care...only well wishes...and love...c

Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #11
(female)

teresa22 HB User

Thank you Lisa. I do hope your husband can leave the hospital soon. I will be thinking of the both of you. Your response gives me encouragement and hope. We have an appointment at 10:00 this morning and hopefully the news will not be as bad as we fear. My husband hasn't even wanted to discuss anything until we get the final results from all the tests. Hopefully that is today. Its just the unknown that is so scary. Will post more later. Teresa

Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
(female)

teresa22 HB User

News was not good today. It is in his liver, abdomen, lymph nodes and ribs. I am just so over whelmed. He started chemo today as surgery isn't an option. We are both just numb. Had to tell my oldest daughter and that really sucked. Still have a daughter at Auburn University that we have to give final results too. I asked his doctor about prognosis and she couldn't give me an answer. This just really sucks to the max. I find myself just so darn mad....I just want to hit somebody or throw something you know? But Robert vows to fight with all he has.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
News was not good today. It is in his liver, abdomen, lymph nodes and ribs. I am just so over whelmed. He started chemo today as surgery isn't an option. We are both just numb. Had to tell my oldest daughter and that really sucked. Still have a daughter at Auburn University that we have to give final results too. I asked his doctor about prognosis and she couldn't give me an answer. This just really sucks to the max. I find myself just so darn mad....I just want to hit somebody or throw something you know? But Robert vows to fight with all he has.

Is it small cell cancer?...If it is...he has extensive small cell cancer...still sucks...but sclc can react really well to chemo...even tho it has spread...definitely an uphill battle...but the statistics are there...that support some really positive results...even remission for a while...that could give time for better treatment options...and again..in reading the posts...there were people that were worse off than my mom at diagnosis(I lost her Jan 2nd after just a short 6 mos)...and those people are still with their families 1-2 years later...so hang onto the hope...your husband's fighting attitude can make the world of difference...take care...sorry for the hard news....keep the faith...in my thoughts...c

Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #14
(female)

CrystalC HB User
Angry Re: my husband has just been diagnosed

Mom, it's me. It's 9:28 on Thursday morning. I'm at work today, i couldn't just sit at home without my mind wondering. I'm just so mad. Everyone I've talked to this morning has lost someone to cancer. Deb lost her mom to advanced breast cancer and Edwin lost his dad to brain cancer a year and a half ago. All they can tell me is spend as much time with each other that you never know, he might be around for a long while. Edwin did say one thing to me this morning that made a lot of sense. He said, at least we know he's sick and can spend quality time with one other rather than getting a phone call saying that he's been in a car wreck and didn't make it. I know how you feel just in a daughter way. We're going to be on an emotional roller coaster for a long time. Call me later on tonight or email me, we're going to get through this together. I'll probably be over there this weekend to visit. I love my daddy and i'm not ready to let him go, i probably will never be ready to let him go. But i don't want him to be in any pain. I love you! Talk to you later.

Last edited by CrystalC; 01-31-2008 at 07:41 AM.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #15
(female)

teresa22 HB User

Lisa, Robert's chemo was Paraplatin and Taxotene. He did really well with it last night and today he said he is just a little tired. So far no nausea...yippie! He did say the only thing was that it did give him insomnia. He called me a 7:20 at work this morning and I was shocked that he was up. Very early for him. Carol, his cancer is non-small cell. I am trying so hard to be positive but when the doctor says I can't cure him but I can help him live a better life with the time he has left. This just sucks. I just can't seem to tell him enough how much I love him and that he is the best part of my life. Its the not knowing how much time is left ( now that we know what we are dealing with ) that really sucks. Sorry for rambling.....just a hard day at work....finally just had to come home.

Closed Thread