It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

special08 HB User
mother-in-law

My mother-in-law was diagnosed with sclc extensive stage back in Oct. 2007 She has been taking radiation treatments but postposed chemo because it was making her feel real sick. She has 2-3 more radiation treatments to go. For over a month she has been in severe pain and nothing the doctors give her is helping. She has undergone a blood transfusion last week. She is below 100 lbs. now. She went to the doctor today and had more blood work done. They told her that her liver is enlarged a bit. She has jaundice. Now, they just called and are taking her to the hospital (doctor's orders) because her blood count is real low and her blood pressure is 87/64 or something like that. She was give 4-12 weeks without treatment. She waited 4 weeks before she decided to take treatment. Are we looking at possibly the end very soon? My husband drives a truck otr and I don't want him to be out if that is what we are looking at. Can someone help?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: mother-in-law

Quote:
Originally Posted by special08 View Post
My mother-in-law was diagnosed with sclc extensive stage back in Oct. 2007 She has been taking radiation treatments but postposed chemo because it was making her feel real sick. She has 2-3 more radiation treatments to go. For over a month she has been in severe pain and nothing the doctors give her is helping. She has undergone a blood transfusion last week. She is below 100 lbs. now. She went to the doctor today and had more blood work done. They told her that her liver is enlarged a bit. She has jaundice. Now, they just called and are taking her to the hospital (doctor's orders) because her blood count is real low and her blood pressure is 87/64 or something like that. She was give 4-12 weeks without treatment. She waited 4 weeks before she decided to take treatment. Are we looking at possibly the end very soon? My husband drives a truck otr and I don't want him to be out if that is what we are looking at. Can someone help?

Hi...I am so sorry....You said she had extensive sclc....typically they treat w/ chemo...not radiation...so not sure where she was getting radiation...and extensive means it has spread...do you know where it had spread? My mom had sclc that had already spread to her liver...but she never got jaundiced as it spread in her brain quicker...enlarged liver and jaundice...does say problem w/ the liver....but not sure what to say w/o knowing if they said the cancer had spread there....let me know...if it is in the liver...going unchecked...that would be serious...but you should ask the Drs for more details on what that means...we had read that once it goes to liver it could be quick...but then again...my Mom had it in her liver at diagnosis end of june 07 and died about 5 weeks ago....not from the mets to the liver but the brain..everyone is so different...wish i could be more help...other than prayers and good thoughts...C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
(female)

special08 HB User

When she was first diagnosed, it was in left lung, center chest and lymph nodes. What I was told is the radiation was given on chest and brain?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
When she was first diagnosed, it was in left lung, center chest and lymph nodes. What I was told is the radiation was given on chest and brain?

Everything i learned...and i am no DR....by any means...is sclc reacts really well to chemo....radiation may be given to alleviate pain and radiation to the brain is usually given after initial chemo is successful...done as a proactive measure ....as if it returns...it would go to the brain...and regular chemo treatments that would work well at shrinking or even eliminating cancer at that point ...would not treat any cells that had already snuck up to the brain..so that is why i am confused...but there are lots of different drs and treatment regimines...but I am speaking from the knowledge i have w/ my own Mom...C

Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

daughter issues HB User

Speaking from my own experiences with my mom, she was only given radiation so that she could breathe easier and have somewhat of a voice again. I'm not a doctor, but when I talked to my mom's doctor I was advised to watch for jaundice as it means that the liver is shutting down. In the end, for my mom, it was her liver that finished her. Her liver was so enlarged and so full of cancer that it just couldn't take anymore. My mom was only able to sleep on her left side and constantly had pains from her liver.

SCLC usually does respond well to chemo the first time, depending on the patient. My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV, so it was a guessing game if it was going to work or not. It didn't.

I would definitely talk to your mom-in-law and see why she opted out of chemo, and if she's willing to have chemo again. Most definitely talk to the doctor and find out what s/he's got to say about it. If she's willing, and the doctor's are agreeable, chemo may help to delay the inevitable.

It's hard to say when the end is coming. Even the doctors end up guessing, but you'll know. She'll go downhill, plateau, go downhill again, plateau again etc, then she'll get "that look" (sorry, I can't describe it any better than that). She'll want to sleep more often.

With my mom, when it was the end for her, I just knew. I could sense that it was coming. Does your mom-in-law have any pets? If so, see how they are reacting around her (my mom's cat never left her side until she passed). My mom went downhill fast, then plateaued, and did that a few more times. She started having strokes (hers mets to her brain). My mom started sleeping more and more, and eating less and less (the body's way of shutting down). Finally, the day before she passed away, she had "the look". I guess the best way to describe it was that she looked dead even though she wasn't. She would sit in her chair and be really interested in what was on tv, then she'd be asleep. Near the end she was pretty much sleeping most of the day. Her eyes, normally a bright blue, were pretty much colorless and so was her skin.

If you're still in doubt after talking to the doctors, talk to your mom-in-law. She will know, provided that she's not in denial. I don't want to suggest that your husband should stay close to home, but I would definitely talk to him and tell him your concerns.

I hope I've helped you somewhat.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
(female)

special08 HB User

Thank you for posting on here everyone. I notice she has been nodding off more and more. She can't lay down because the pain is too bad. She sits and sleeps in a chair. Of course, resting well isn't another thing because of the pain. No pain meds that are being given is helping. I'm being told that the radiation is also being used as a tool for her breathing and pain as well. She is having to use a w/c to get around because she is so weak. She can walk a few steps across the floor but she hangs onto everything around her. I have noticed the color of her eyes are changing. She sounds like she is slurring her words now. She said it feels like the back of her tongue is swollen. She also has other health issues such as, diabetes, heart disease, emphysema(sp). I haven't heard anything this morning. I am going to be making a call and then possibly heading up to the hospital if they kept her. I am having to tell my husband everything on the phone. He is planning on taking a personal leave but doesn't want to do that until real close to the end. He tells me right now he's ok. But also tells me when it's over, he'll need me. He is worried about his dad. Dad isn't dealing with this well at all. He stays upset ALL the time. This is just a hard time for all of us. Please keep us in your prayers. I will try to update on mom's situation soon.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

I don't know if this will help you or not but my mom has extensive sclc (in Dec., 2006) and has been living with it now for quite a while. Her doctors gave her 2-4 months without chem and 6-12 months with it. She chose chemo (carboplatin and vp16 and etoposide) as it responds very well to sclc. She actually only had 3 rounds..3 days each...never made the 4th round due to a fall and two broken pelvic bones on her amputated leg side. So we quit chemo...she was too weak...was given a few blood transfusions between chemo rounds.
Anyway, my point is...she only had very little chemo, no radiation, and she is still her with us today..almost 14 months later. She is going downhill very quickly now though. Each individual is different and only God know when their time is up. Maybe this will give you some hope.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
(female)

special08 HB User

Mom not doing good at all. The cancer has spread to her liver. Her oxygen level got down real low, blood pressure dropped. Drs are going to try to get her blood count up. If that happens, they are going to do a MRI or bone scan. If they cannot get the count up, they said we would have to discuss about getting hospice to take care of her. Dad just broke down like a baby. It breaks my heart. Please continue to pray for us. Thank you.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Mom not doing good at all. The cancer has spread to her liver. Her oxygen level got down real low, blood pressure dropped. Drs are going to try to get her blood count up. If that happens, they are going to do a MRI or bone scan. If they cannot get the count up, they said we would have to discuss about getting hospice to take care of her. Dad just broke down like a baby. It breaks my heart. Please continue to pray for us. Thank you.

If her blood counts are low...why haven't they done a transfusion? 4 hours later...blood counts up...schedule tests so they know what they are dealing with. My mom's cancer was in her liver at initial diagnosis...back...kidney...sternum...bu t was on 3rd chemo line...if blood counts dropped low...as they did 2x....they gave her a transfusion...blood counts went up ...to normal or better...with this type of cancer...time is of the essence...sounds like they are planning...and not doing asap...I am just speaking from my own experience w/ my mom...and seems like your Drs are taking a slower approach...we had a blood test...blood levels down...2 hours later she was being given a transfusion...it is ok to push the Drs for more aggressive results...I may not have all the info...but from your post...these are my thoughts from experience....good thoughts and hugs going your way...keep us posted...C

Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

One last thing...sorry...I am a huge advocate for hospice...only got my mom on for 3 hours.....due to family dynamics...but hopsice has sooo many resources...and it doesn't necessarily mean you are at deaths door...I know people who had hospice services for years....rallied...and "graduated off hospice"...it is not the same as our parents remeber it...but unfortunately people do not realize that...and only get the extra support at the very end...so don't let the word hospice scare you...take care...c

Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
(female)

special08 HB User
Unhappy Re: mother-in-law

Thank you everyone. She passed away at 1pm today.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

SOOOOO sorry....Pleae keep in touch...so many of us...unfortunately......understand....ta ke care of yourself...c

Closed Thread