It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

summer2008 HB User
Mom SCLC 6 months out

Just dropping in again to say that my mother, who was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer almost 6 months ago, is still hanging in there.

She is on twice-daily methadone for pain now.

BUT - she just doesn't look like a dying woman. I just don't understand it. Every other story I've read about SCLC has said that people who DO NOT RECEIVE TREATMENT typically live 3-6 months.

It has been almost 6 months since my mother's diagnosis and - granted she has lost more than 25% of her body weight (22 pounds in the last 8 weeks alone) - and she says she has chest pains - and she has shortness of breath - and she dry-coughs alot.

Do others just keep going along and then suddenly take a downhill turn? I just don't know what to expect, and like I said - she just doesn't look like she's dying.

So confusing.

Summer

The following user gives a hug of support to summer2008:
MATAYA (07-16-2011)
Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
(female)

CsCE71 HB User
Re: Mom SCLC 6 months out

I am sorry to hear about your mom...Going through the same thing w/my father....do not know what to expect either...dad has had the dry cough for sometime....when he started to cough up blood they removed 3/4 of left lung..he went through some treatments and was told he was clear...less than 6 months later he was told the cancer has come back full blown....he is home on oxygen now and his doc asked him if he wanted hospice...dad said no....
He is getting weaker by the day...i wish i knew what to expect also but i don't....my prayers our with you...this is a awful disease...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

daughter issues HB User

Summer, my Mom had sclc. She did the chemo and radiation. She did have some side effects from those, such as drastic swelling, but to look at her she did not look sick at all. Even the morning of the day before she passed away she didn't look sick. Once the skin starts to grey and they start looking really sick you won't have much more time with them. The one thing that was constant was that she kept getting weaker and weaker, and her hearing was going as well. Near the end you'd have to practically yell so that she could hear you.

I hope this helps you.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2008 View Post
Just dropping in again to say that my mother, who was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer almost 6 months ago, is still hanging in there.

She is on twice-daily methadone for pain now.

BUT - she just doesn't look like a dying woman. I just don't understand it. Every other story I've read about SCLC has said that people who DO NOT RECEIVE TREATMENT typically live 3-6 months.

It has been almost 6 months since my mother's diagnosis and - granted she has lost more than 25% of her body weight (22 pounds in the last 8 weeks alone) - and she says she has chest pains - and she has shortness of breath - and she dry-coughs alot.

Do others just keep going along and then suddenly take a downhill turn? I just don't know what to expect, and like I said - she just doesn't look like she's dying.

So confusing.

Summer
When my Mom went thru sclc...the stats I got w/o treatment was as little as 2 -6 weeks...as it is so aggressive...so your Mom is doing well...shortness of breath...coughs...I would think would be normal symptoms...the chest pain and dramatic loss of weight...says more to possible spread of the LC w/o treatment...is she still being tested to let her know how things are going?...You might want to ask for tests if she is up to it an you want to know...as for the quickness...my mom was enjoying x-mas eve with the family ....2 days later,,,couldn't walk....the next day...unresponsive and seizing...passed on 1/2 (7 days later)this year....so yes...unfortunately can turn quick...WHICH REMINDS US ALL TO ENJOY EACH AND EVERY DAY...You never truly know....I think you need to get info from her Dr. to get a better picture...good thoughts and love...hugs going your way....C

Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

Carol515 HB User

my mom died 7 months after she was told, no treatment. She gradually got worst everyday. Hospice was great. The last month I saw her go down hill fast. the last two weeks we knew her time was near. Hospice gave us a book that explained what to look for, remember not everyone shows all the signs. She died just last week, and her funeral was on Monday. It was very hard on my family, as I just lost my father to skin cancer in may, so we lsot both our parents in nice month. It was very hard to see all the pain mom was in, It is almost a releif tht she is gone for she now has no more pain.

Hang in there.

Carol

Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
(female)

Karen44 HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your mom cancer is a nasty disease.
I lost my husband 2 years ago to SCLC,from diagnosis to his death was a short 10 month time span. Unlike your mother he had numerous radiation treatments,WBR(whole brain radiation) for mets to brain,he had three different chemo drugs,and at times you would have never known he was sick!! Before they started the third round of chemo he appeared to be a perfectly healthy man.
I believe it all has to do with a person's state of mind,the will to live!! My hubby didn't want to die,he tried so hard to appear healthy,he wanted no one in the family to worry, fuss or fret over him!
Then started the third round of chemo and it all took a turn for the worst,he was constantly sick,staying in bed all day never leaving the house except to go for treatment,he would always say it was like having the flu everyday,except x2.He said he could understand why people gave up the fight to live,you get tired of trying to fight the enivetable and give in to the disease.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
(female)

blueeyes62 HB User

Karen44,
My mother passed away on 7/28/2007. She was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer in 9/2006. She didn't have any symptoms. The only thing that she said to me is that she was extremely tired all the time and here and there she would get headaches and get nauseaus and feel faint. She did go to her doctor a few times and her doctor told her that it was stress. She had a complete physical 2 months before she was diagnosed and her doctor told her that she was healthy. She also had a chest x ray and she was told that yor chest xray was normal. My mother also had 15 treatments of radiation to her full head. After her treatments were done they did a pet scan and everything was clear. Then they started chemo. after 6 monthds of chemo. They did another pet scan and she was told everything was clear. I just don't understand doctors. How could they say everything was clear and not even being off the treatments for a week she was having severe pain in her jaw bone and her oncologist told her that it was just inflammation and then she had a massive stroke in May. She wnet to 2 oral surgeons the first one told her that she had osteocronosis of the jaw and the second oral surgeon found a massive tumor on her jaw bone. The only treatment for that was radiation for the pain. A few weeks later my mother complained about sever pain in her lower back. They found the cancer in her L2 and L3 and also some spots on her ribs, which they thought they saw that in the beginning and then we were told there was nothing on her ribs in the beginning. My mother had terrible dementia from the radiation. It was so sad to see my mother, my best friend suffer the way she did. I miss her terribly and I still can't sleep at night and I still can't believe that she is gone. I cry everyday. We use to see each other everyday. I really don't know what to do anymore. When I think about her that whole merry go round plays in my head and it is very hard to stop. I just keep saying that I can't believe that she is gone and that she didn't deserve to dye so young. I was there holding her hand for three hours and then I had to step out for about 15 minutes and then she was gone. It was so horrible hearing that rattling in her chest and watching her breathe the way she was breathing and there was nothing that I could do. Please help me try to feel better. Thanks for listening to me.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Hi...i am where you are...the beginning of this year I lost my mom... it hurts...still doesn't feel real...and those last memories are with us every day...i know...From remembering when i lost my dad 10 years ago...only time helped to make me feel better...never alright...but in a better place...so i am trusting time will help me now...this time...having all the support here has made a difference for me...I hope it helps you as well.

The tests coming out my mom's CT scan showed no real movement of cancer to her brain.....she was having uncontrollable seisures...constant...oncologist said by looking at the CT scan it was not the cancer so her care was turned over to nuerologists....as they said she would die fom the siezures not the lung cancer. We kept pushing...so they finally did the MRI and there was the answer...she had multiple...many...small cancer spots throughout her brain that were not picked up by the CT...so it was the cancer...and she was gone 1 day later...so i am not saying there are not doctor's who are totally clueless...ran into some myself with my mom....but the disease can move so quickly...and sometimes...it is just the disease...and even the best doctors are helpless to fix it...take care...thinking of you...be well...C

Closed Thread