It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

hopeisneeded HB User
ARGH!! This is soo frustrating

I dont know what to do! It seems that seeking a second opinion just cluster and confuse you even more. I dont know which doctor to pick and my mom seems to depend on me to pick one for her. she actually makes me feel guilty for not reassuring her of the right one and wasting her time that she doesn't have. She's getting worse and i dont know what to do. every time she coughs just makes me cringe and frighten me. i seriously dont know what to do. i dont know the right thing to do. start with radiation with one doctor.. or chemotherapy with another. ARGH!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: ARGH!! This is soo frustrating

Hi..it is hard...as it is such an important decision and you want to make the right choice....what type of lung cancer does she have as from what I know..it makes a big difference in the preferred treatment route...take care...c

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
(female)

hopeisneeded HB User

she stage 3b adenocarcinoma, which has gone to the lymph. one doctor wants to start her on avastin and gemzar chemotherapy. and another on radiation. it has been 3 weeks since this all started. we're just wasting time.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

tmidgett HB User

Hi, I am new to this site, but I just want to talk about my feelings as well. My mom died on June 2, 2005 at the age of 55 from Lung Cancer. I miss her so much, and it seems like it happened juts yesterday even though it happened 2 yrs ago. I wish that I could have done more, but her cancer was at the lastest stages and it spreaded to her brain and other parts of her body. I cry every night when I think of her. She was diagnosed on 10.25/04 and died on 6/2/05. I just feel good that i can post here and talk to somone about how I feel, and please fel free to ask me anything that you need to know, because I know what you are going through. I will kepp your family in my prayers.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeisneeded View Post
she stage 3b adenocarcinoma, which has gone to the lymph. one doctor wants to start her on avastin and gemzar chemotherapy. and another on radiation. it has been 3 weeks since this all started. we're just wasting time.
I I am only aware of small cell lung cancer verses non smell lung cancer....small cell lung cancer is very agressive...RADIATION rarely an option....chemo first round....non small cell lung cancer....usually starts w/ surgery and/or radiation...not sure about the type you referenced...not sure which bucket it falls in or in a new bucket i don't have experience with...keep in touch...but keep moving forward...regarless of the type...w/ lung cancer...time is of the essance....no matter what type..c

Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
(female)

hopeisneeded HB User

welcome tmidgett. sorry for your loss. i've been crying every night too. but i can't show it, just because i know that will only frighten her some more. my mom is only 51. none of us are even married yet. it makes me cry even more. but thank you for your prayers.

to carol: adenoncarcinoma is a type of non small cell lung cancer. and you're right, time is definitely of the essence. pray and enjoy every moment together.

thank you for your posts. thank you for your prayers. thank you for being here!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 AM   #7
(female)

blueeyes62 HB User

Hi,
My name is Lori. My mother passed away on 7/28/207. She was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer in the middle of Sept 2006. It was so horrible. When she was diagnosed she had many tumors in her brain. The only treatment to her brain was 15 treatments of radiation, After the treatments she had a scan and that showed everything was clear. The doctors didn't really know where the tumors in her brain were coming from until they did a cat scan of her lungs, and that is when they found a tiny lesion on her left lung and lymph node. The doctors were more concerned about the tumors in her brain. Then she started chem for 6 months. The doctors said that my mother took very well to the chemo treatments, so they stopped them. They did a pet scan after chemo treatments and it showed that everything was clear. After only being off the treatments for one week. My mother was having severe pain in her left side of her jaw. The doctors said that it was lighting up on the pet scan, but they didn't think it was cancer. My mother was in so much pain. They told her that not everything that lights up in a pet scan is cancer. They gave her an antibiotic, because they said that it was an infection. Well it never went away. Her oncologist sent her to a dentist, thinking that it might have been something with her teeth. The dentist said that it wasn't her teeth, he said that she had osteocronosis of her jaw. He said some patients that take a certain chemo drug can develop this and there is no cure. Days kept passing by and my mother was still having severe pain. Her oncologist gaver her a pain patch and that dodn't help her. She started to hallucinate like crazy. Her doctor told her to tak tylenol and of course that didn't help either. In May 2007 she had a massive stroke. The doctors said that her stroke was one of the worst strokes they have seen. We got her to the hospital just in time for them to giver her this shock. We were told that she could bleed internally or she could get better. She started feeling better. They couldn't believe that my mother did so well. My mother was told to see an oral surgeon after she got out of the hospital. My father brought her to one. He did a special test and he found a massive tumor in her left jawbone. It was so sad she went for 2 months with not knowing what it was. My family kept saying we hope it isn't cancer. She could only get 15 radiation treatments for the pain and that didn't really help. After those treatments were over she started having sever pain in her left hip. They did another scan and they said she had it in her L2 and L3 and also they saw it in her lungs again. The only treatments they could do at this time was some radiation to her hip for the pain and that didn't even help. I think that my mother started really going down hill after the stroke. She didn't get paralyzed, but I noticed that she wasn't ating or drinking that much.She also was starting to lose weight and was hallucinating like crazy. On Friday 7/13/2007 she was very pale and she looked like she was dehydrated, so we rushed her to the hospital. They put her on IV's and they did a scan of her head and they said that she wasn't having another stroke. A few days later she was having a hard time urinating so they put a catheter in her and they said she had a urinary tract infection. She was put on antibiotics. After a few more days they tried to take the catheter out, but she was having trouble urinating. She was having a difficult time swallowing for a few weeks, so I told the nursed and she requested a swallowing test and that showed that her muscles weren't working properly, so they had to take her off of food and drink totally.For about three days she didn't wake up, it was so sad. Then finally the fourth day she tried to open her eyes and talk and she really couldn't. She was in severe pain. When the nurses tried to change her and move her to a different position she would scream. The doctor had seen my sister out of the hospital and he told her that my mother was stable. Two days later he told my father that my mother was luck if she had 2 weeks left.. My father didn't want to tell me, because he didn't know how I was going to react. Well my older brother told me the next day and I was in total shock. My mother was my best friend. She was the greatest mother. We saw each other everyday and she also helped me everyday with my 2 boys. I am totally lost without her. She passed away on July 28, 2007.
I still keep saying that I can't believe she is gone. She was 70 yrs. old. I think that she was to young to leave me. My grandmother just passed away at the end of Jan. We buried her the day before my mothers birthday. She was 91. She had a great life. I am so upset, because my mother really didn't have signs of lung cancer. She did get headaches and she was extremely tired all the time, but her primary doctor told her that it was stress from taking care of her mother. She also told her doctor that she would cry alot over sad movies on tv ans she kept saying that she didn't feel right inside. She had a chest xray at her physical in July 2006 and she was told that everything was fine and that her physical went well. I just can't believe that they didn't find this sooner, maybe she would still be here with us today. Thanks for listening to me vent. Take care. Lori

Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #8
(female)

hopeisneeded HB User

sorry for your loss lori. cancer is soo horrible. =/

my mom just had her first round of chemo today. she seems ok tonight. no nausea or pain or discomfort as of right now. i hope this works. she has too much life left to live. sigh....

Old 03-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
(female)

blueeyes62 HB User

My mother never had a cough, that is what is so strange about the whole thing. In the beginning she did have a blood clot in her leg and then it did go to her lung, she was pust on cumadin. Then she also had pneumonia and she was on medicine and also oxygen. That was the only time that she had a real bad cough. Til this day I wonder if it really was lung cancer or was it something else. She had to walk with a walker in the beginning of her sickness and then a few times she tried walking without it and she fell because she was too weak. The last 3 months of her life was really bad. She was really bedridden. It was so sad seeing your mother, your best friend suffer the way she did.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
sorry for your loss lori. cancer is soo horrible. =/

my mom just had her first round of chemo today. she seems ok tonight. no nausea or pain or discomfort as of right now. i hope this works. she has too much life left to live. sigh....
Your mom is young...responding well to chemo is an awesome first step....just keep being an advocate...ask lots of questions...if you don't have a good answer to your question ask again!....the oncologists get paid to be there for you...do not feel that you "don't want to bother them"...if you need answers...call...don't wait for the next appointment....I am thinking...wishing...and praying for the best...a very scary disease...with all the stories of loss you read here...please remember...if you read it all...there are so many stories of hope and survival past the odds...and also...the tens of thousand...who never come on this board..as things are working and need no support here....if someone does need support...trust me...this is the place...but there is always hope ...and a chance...and when someone reaches the point where the disease has made that impossible...there is always support...and life is there until the last breath...everyone needs to realize that...we all rush life...me included...'just get over the terrible 2's"...can't wait until they are in school...can't wait until we are done with teenage years...can't wait for the grandkids...can't wait to retire and enjoy life.......i am one of those...as many are...but living so close to cancer...and death...has made me rethink...and do as we should...tomorrow will come...regardless of what any of us do...and the future is always uncertain...no guarentees...but today we have....it is ours to enjoy...and make memories for the future. i know it sounds so inspirational...profound...as I read it back...but realize that I am human too...and working hard to believe and wrap my arms fully around the concept...as i know it is real...and true..but takes an effort to fulfill with every day life...sorry for the preaching...didn't mean to...This board is my own nurturing and support system....thinking of you...keep in touch...C

Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
(female)

hopeisneeded HB User

she's getting weaker and more fatigued in the morning, but by the evening she seems to do better. is that normal? cell counts are decreasing, they are giving her booster shots to stimulate cell growth. 2 more rounds of chemo before we can rescan.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User

Quote:
she's getting weaker and more fatigued in the morning, but by the evening she seems to do better. is that normal? cell counts are decreasing, they are giving her booster shots to stimulate cell growth. 2 more rounds of chemo before we can rescan.
You would love to see no one have any signs that they are doing chemo...but chemo are strong drugs to combat a tough disease...so seeing low blood counts..although hard to see...means the chemo is doing it's thing..it goes after good and bad...so if the good is being affected...my hope is the bad cells are being affected too...so don't necessarily see fatigue or low blood counts as a negative...i always looked at it as signs of a battle going on in the body...and hoping the "good guys (cells)" win...take care..be well...keep in touch...C

Closed Thread