It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
(male)

reid39 HB User
stage iv lung ca with mets to bone

hello,
i have a friend who has been dx'd with stage iv lung ca with mets to bone & brain. he had 3 chemo treatments & doctor discontinued them - said they were doing no good. he now has a morphine pump that you can push the button on every 30 minutes if necessary, but he hasnt needed that yet. the morphine pumps every hour. he had radiation in nov. & was dx'd in oct. started the chemo after Christmas. he sits mostly in a chair & just watches tv in a dazelike state. he has had the pump 2 weeks. the doctors wont give us any kind of time frame except to say when dx'd in oct, 2007, up to 2 years before the chemo & radiation began. he is having neither now. - just taking pain meds, hospice comes 3x weekly. i know they aren't God & say how long he will live, but does anyone have any kind of idea how long i have with him? help. help.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
(female)

blueeyes62 HB User
Re: stage iv lung ca with mets to bone

My mother was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer 9/2006. When she was diagnosed it was already in her brain. She had many tumors there. The doctors said that they would have to start radiation to the brain right away. My mother had double vision and couldn't stand up, my father took her to emergency room and that is when they did an mri of the brain and found the tumors. She really had no signs of lung cancer. They did an xray of her chest 2 months before she was diagnosed and her doctor who is a pulmonologist said that her chest was clear and she was healthy. When she went to the hospital in 9/2006 she also had a chest xray and they said everything was clear. My mother had 15 radiation treatments to her brain. They did a cat scan of her chest and that is when they found a tiny lesion in her left lung and lymp node. They weren't concerned too much about that, because it was very small. They thought that she had something on her ribs, but when they did a pet scan, we were told that it was nothing there. After radiation treatments then she started 6 months of chemo to her left lung and left lymph node. After that was done they did another pet scan to see how well the radiation and chemo worked. We were told that her brain was clear and so was her chest and lymph node. The doctor said that they were going to stop chemo, because my mother responded well to the treatments. Not even being off the chemo for 1 week, she started having severe pain and numbness in her left side of her jaw. The doctor said that her jaw lit up on the pet scan, but he said not everything that lights up on a pet scan is cancer. My family kept saying well what happens if it is. Her doctor seemed to think that it was an infection and he gave her an antibiotic to take, but it didn't work. Then the doctor had given her a pain patch and that really didn't work. The next step was to go to see a dentist to see if the pain was coming from her teeth. She went to the dentist and he told my father that my mother had osteocronosis of the jaw. My father asked him what is that? He said some people that take a certain chemo drug can develop this and it isn't curable. My mother went back to the oncologist and her took her off the one chemo drug. Well her jaw was still not getting any better. She couldn't eat, sleep, talk or anything. In May 2007. my mother had a massive stroke, she was rushed to the hospital. We got her there just in time to have this special shot for strokes. We were told that she could bleed internally or she could get better. Then she was taken to ICU to be monitored for the first 48 hours just to make sure everything was okay. A couple days later she started to feel a little bit better, but I noticed that she wasn't really herself. The doctors seemed to think that she was ok to go home in a few days. When she was in the hospital with the stroke her oncologist had an oral surgeon see my mothers jaw and he had told my mother to come see him at his office when she gets out of the hospital. My father had made an appt. with this oral surgeon, he took some special xrays and they showed a massive tumor in her jaw. That was so horrible, because for over 2 months they kept saying it was only an infection. The only thing they were able to do was 15 treatments of radiation to her jaw for the pain. That really din't help her much. When she was done with those treatments, the swelling only went down a little bit not much. She still had pain. My mother then started complaining about her lower back, so they did another scan and it had showed that she hadit in her L2 and L3 and also they said that it was back in her chest again and they said that they had saw spots on her ribs, but nothing to worry about. She had to have some radiation to her left hip, where the pain was, so severe. The treatments really weren't helping my mother had like 2 more treatments to go on her hip, but she said that she didn't want anymore, so the doctors stopped everything. The doctor was going to give her a pill form of chemo for her lung, bu then she started to have difficulty swallowing so they couldn't do that. I noticed after my mothers strok my mothe started losing alot of weight she really didn't want to eat or drink anymore and my father kept telling her that she had to or she was going to wind up ion the hospital. We noticed in July that my mother said that she didn't even know when she was going to the bathroom anymore. We just thought that it was normal with the cancer. Well on Friday July 13, 2007 she was rushed to the hospital agin, we thought it was for dehydration. She was dehydrated, so they gave her IV's. A few days later she was having a hard time urinating, we were told by the nurses that she had a urinary tract infection they put her on antibiotics for that and they had to put a catheter in her, because she couldn't urinate. She had that in for a few days and then they tried to remove it, but they couldn't because she still was having a hard time going. After a few more days, my mother wads having alot of pain, so they started giving her morphine through an IV, but that really didn't work. For about 3 days she didn't open her eyes and she didn't talk either. On the 4th day she started trying to open her eyes and talk and she couldn't reallly even do that. I kept thinking that it was from the morphine. Little by little she was getting worse. Her eyes started swelling up, we thought it was from this pill that they gave her for the restlessness she was having. The doctor had taken her off that pill and then we noticed that her eye swelling was going down a little. A few more days went by and then her both arms started swelling up and she wasn't really moving them anymore. Through this whole time that she was in the hospital, they had to take her off food and drink because she was having a hard time swallowing. A few days later her oncologist saw my sister out somewhere and he told her that my mother was stable. Two days later he had told my father in the hospital that my mother was lucky if she had 2 weeks left. Things started getting really bad, so we got her out of that hospital and she went into an all cancer hospital. My mother only lasted 4 days there. It was so hard for me and it still is, because I saw my mother every day. She was my best friend. She passed away on July 28, 2007. She was 70. Her mother was still living at the time. She was 91. Six months later my grandmother had passed away. I really am totally lost without my mother. I better be going now it is very late. Please write back. Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: stage iv lung ca with mets to bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid39 View Post
hello,
i have a friend who has been dx'd with stage iv lung ca with mets to bone & brain. he had 3 chemo treatments & doctor discontinued them - said they were doing no good. he now has a morphine pump that you can push the button on every 30 minutes if necessary, but he hasnt needed that yet. the morphine pumps every hour. he had radiation in nov. & was dx'd in oct. started the chemo after Christmas. he sits mostly in a chair & just watches tv in a dazelike state. he has had the pump 2 weeks. the doctors wont give us any kind of time frame except to say when dx'd in oct, 2007, up to 2 years before the chemo & radiation began. he is having neither now. - just taking pain meds, hospice comes 3x weekly. i know they aren't God & say how long he will live, but does anyone have any kind of idea how long i have with him? help. help.

I am so sorry...I can't give you a time frame...I asked myself w/ my Dad and searched frantically on here 10 years later for my Mom(just anout 3 months ago)...and noone could....which frustrated the hell out of me....even researching myself...there were only generalizations...so what i learned...it is so individual...depends on the agressiveness of the disease...and how quick it progresses...and yes...the own individual's will and spirit to stay....w/ no treatment....and no success w/ earlier treatment...the disease will just be taking it' s own course...I am so sorry...no positive news....there is always hope with spirit and will to survive...best advice i ever got...and did...and what i continue to share...is no one knows when our last days on earth are...treat every day as the last and enjoy life...don't just wait for death...it will come to us all....at some point...whether expected or not....wanted or not...simplified...just a part of life...just LIVE and appreciate EVERY precious moment...don't put off for tomorrow...as none of us ever know...please keep in touch...good thoughts going your way...c

Closed Thread