It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

star_light221 HB User
lung cancer and congestion

A question to all
Does lung cancer make you congested? can someone have lung cancer and dry lungs(i mean no congestion)
My friend was diagnosed with emphysemia and she does not have a cough or a weeze,so i was wondering if the same goes for cancer or tumours in the lung
did the people who suffer from lung cancer have a sore shoulder like a frozen shoulder as one of their symptoms ,tight throat or pains in back and ribs
thank you
Star

Old 08-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

carol1961 HB User
Re: lung cancer and congestion

Hi...typically there is a cough...and often with mucous...shoulder pain...etc. can happen...but please remember that so many things can cause these symptoms...and some not as scary....the biggest point is to get these symptoms checked out...hope this helps...c

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
(male)

Stephen21 HB User

Hi, there its been awhile since I posted on here, I was very actively posting in the beginning of this year.
More on that later. Star, from the sounds of your friends symptoms it doesn't sound like lung cancer, it sounds like something ranging from an upper respiratory infection, to pneumonia. I'm not a doctor so only a ct scan will be for sure, but she shouldn't panic yet, or at all.
Carol I wanted to post because its been awhile since I posted about my mom with lung cancer, I wanted to thank you and everyone on this board for their prayers and well wishes. My mom lives with me now, and the latest and best news is that she completed 6 cycles of chemo, and it shrunk the tumor from 7cm to 3cm, they removed the top lobe of her left lung and the pathology report showed nothing but dead inactive cancer cells left inside the tumor. Her doctor and surgeon said she had a 100% complete response to the chemo. I'm wiser and know we're not out of the woods yet but it certainly gives her greater chances now. Thank you all again. And Star I hope your friends symptoms turn out to be something mild.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

Hi Star...my mom had lung cancer and COPD but the nurses always said her lungs were clear. I never really understood that but I just guess she was lucky for that part of it. If your friend even slightly suspects anything other than her diagnosis, I would certainly insist on more testing. The earlier cancer is found, the better the chance of survival.

Hi Carol...just wondering how things are going since your mom passed away and hoping you are okay. Haven't seen you on the boards for a long time! My Mom passed away on July 18, 2008, and is finally at peace.

Hi Steven...I am glad to hear your mom is living with you and doing well at this point.

As always, my thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
(male)

heartbeat3 HB User

Hi,

after reading your post, i am more terrified. I got the results to my xray, the doctor said that it was clear. i am having phelgm, sometimes white sometimes brown ( probably from the stain of my lungs due to smoking). The reason on the xray is coz of chest pains,lung congestion. my doctors are treating me for acid reflux, but i feel it is lung cancer. I have short of breath/chest thighness, even when lying down on a sofa watching television. gosh!!i also have a lympth node at the back of my left ear at the cartilage. Advice?

Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Oh well I had xrays saying emphysemia and COPD for many many years.
Sure enough had the cig cough too.
No sign of cancer at all on tests taken 3 years ago.
(Lung X-.ray and a brain CT scan)

SUDDENDLY Jan 5 2009 it hit me BIG TIME.... vision messed up crazily.
Non-small cell stage 4 lung cancer with spin off brain tumers.
QUITE A SURPRISE.
So check it out often... waiting means it gets further advanced and harder to kill before you even know its there.

Last edited by snowmelts; 03-30-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
(male)

heartbeat3 HB User

snow melts: can i know what syptoms were you having before diagnosed? from the 25/10/08 i had stopped smoking. my breathing improved, but up to now, i still feel that my lungs are weak. My x-ray/ct-scan of my lungs last year did not show anything. My problem is that i feel my left shoulder blade very stiff. even my chest, feels like the muscles tightened. Compared to last year, i am much better now. but i still feel breathless. My smoker's cough has been long gone. what am i suppose to do now?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbeat3 View Post
snow melts: can i know what syptoms were you having before diagnosed? from the 25/10/08 i had stopped smoking. my breathing improved, but up to now, i still feel that my lungs are weak. My x-ray/ct-scan of my lungs last year did not show anything. My problem is that i feel my left shoulder blade very stiff. even my chest, feels like the muscles tightened. Compared to last year, i am much better now. but i still feel breathless. My smoker's cough has been long gone. what am i suppose to do now?
OK
Here's what happen
I Got strep throat. Went for pills.
Also had already taken a 12 Fast blood test amd a PAP test simply cuz it had been a couple years since I took one and wanted the general check up..Both tests had perfect results.
But waiting for the nurse to get the papers.. I fell asleep.
That picked up the nurses attention.
She told me to arranage a Brain CT scan.
So I did for Jan 5 AM.
Couldn't see by then to drive. had to get a ride there.
That very night about 5 pm she called me and admitted me to hoapital with Cancer. spin off growing fast Brain tumor pressing on my optic nerve.. by by then I could barely aee at all.

NO WARNING. But I had been falling asleep a lot come to think of it.
The asleep problem signaled the spin off brain tumor... there is no pain or symptom from my lung cancer itself.. I don't even use oxygen.

No cig for me ever again. You can count on that! last one was Jan 5 2009.
So far don't miss them a lot cuz weekly chemo messed up my taste bed / triggers.

Last edited by snowmelts; 03-31-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #9
(male)

heartbeat3 HB User

i am not sure what is happening to me. but i realize that i am weaker from my first episode of chest pains and lung congestion taht happened in oct 2008. eversince then, i have kicked the smoking habit. When i was having lung congestion, i could climb 20 stories at my condominium. I coiuld still do it now, but i feel that i get tired faster. when i was having lung congestion, i could breeze walk at quite a fast pace, for at least an hour, but today when i tried, i could only last about 20 minutes on the threadmill at speed 5.0. When i was walking, i felt uncomfortable at my chest. Also, the whole day today, i have been sweating a lot,especially at my chest area. For the past few months, i have been sweating a lot at my chest area, especially after i take a warm drink.

i am really scared!!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Oh well all my treatments have weakened me so much that I don't stand up at all anytime without a walker amd a lot of effort. Can't really see where I am walking inside the house..walk very little... cant without walker now. cant with shoes on at all. only place I go is DR/ Chemo via a medical van.
Not allowed to use stove or oven.. relative does food for me to eat or microwave.
Have a physical therapist come 3 days a week.. all he does is have me lift my steriod very swollen feet for a half hours excercise,, so far he does not have me walk even with walker.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

JewelryJulie HB User

Snowmelts,

I feel terrible reading what you are going through. I hope you have family and friends to support you. I wish you only the very best and that your health improves very rapidly.

Julie

Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
(female)

Merisse HB User

Hi

Forgive my lengthy writing but I really do need advice.

My dad first started experiencing chest pains in mid 2006. He then went for various tests including a biopsy and eventually had an operation which entalied a cut just below his ribcage to halfway to his back. After this operation we were told that the mass found on is right lung was benign and in fact seemed to be glandular TB - he was put on meds for TB although he did not display any of the symptoms and we were told that this was just a precaution.

For over two years after that he had constant pain in his chest area which would almost paralyse him. After visits to the pulmonologist and oncologist who initially treated him as well as a few trips to a pain clinic, I suggested that he come to my city to see my GP since I regard him very highly and couldnt shrug this niggling feeling that there was something seriously wrong with my dad.

Eventually in December 2008 he saw my doctor who referred him to a pulmonologist who did a biopsy, CT scan as well as a PET scan and it was found that he had a large tumour in his right lung as well as a secondary one in his left one as well as one in his right kidney and nodes.

We were told that this was stage 4 and inoperable but that the best at this stage was to undergo chemo and radiation to try and shrink the tumours. He has now undergone the first 15 radiation treatments as well as chemo and his health has deterioated drastically since the beginning of March when he started. He went from a size 42 pants to 32/34 - is constantly weak and dehydrated since he cannot keep anything down. He informed the oncologist that he does not want to undergo any further treatment since he does not feel that his body can handle it. The oncologist is not a happy camper and insists that he comes in two weeks to plot the next phase of treatment. Is the decision to carry on or suspend treatment not rest with the patient or is my dad at the doctor's mercy?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Eloise

Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
(male)

heartbeat3 HB User

Hi,

To tell you honestly, i am not sure on this matter. But i promise you, i will offer prayers for your dad, and may he and your goodself get the proper guidance!! Bless you!!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #14
(female)

bchris12 HB User

CERTAINLY NOT, your dad does not have to continue treatment if he so wishes not to, it is entirely his decision to make.

Closed Thread