It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

losingtime HB User
Angry someone tell me the truth

I have tried to get the courage to write for several days now. I really need someone that has been through this to tell me what they think. My husband was told he has small cell lung cancer and that it is also in the liver and kidney ( he only has his left kidney) lost the right one to cancer several years ago. He has had 3 weeks radiation and 1 round of chemo. He felt better for 2 days after chemo but now he is going down hill really fast. He won't eat and barely drinks.He also talks about things that are not there or asks questions that don't make sense. I told the doctor and the nurse even saw it today while he was there. His MRI is O.K. and when the doctor talked to him he answered all his questions correctly. I am just afraid that he is a lot worse than the doctor wants to let me know. I rather know than to not know. Is anyone out there had this happen? Please answer me honestly. I am scared

Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
(female)

PSusanp123 HB User
Re: someone tell me the truth

I am very sorry about your husband's diagnosis and the challenges you are both facing. My husband was diagnosed with small cell ca in Jan. 2005. It had spread to his bones, but not to other organs. The chemo and radiation will take the desire to eat away. I had to constantly urge my husband to eat. I gave him high calorie foods, milkshakes, Ensure, etc. I also kept bottles of water in the freezer, because he prefered very cold water. It also had to be bottled water, as he complained about the taste of tap water, which had been fine, prior to chemo treatments.

The strong painkiller medicines, especially oxycontin can cause confusion. Once, when the dose of oxycontin was too high, my husband did not even know who I was. After lowering the dose, he was back to normal thinking, but did sometimes claim to see butterflies, etc. and this was in the winter!
I know this is very hard for you to go through. Treasure each day that you have together, and tell him all the things you want to say, now. Contact hospice, they can give you literature and tell you what to expect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

losingtime HB User

Thank you for your quick reply. I will check with the dr. about his meds.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

tuckygal HB Usertuckygal HB User

Losing time, I was diagnosed with SCLC in Spring, 2005 and given 2 to 6 months to live. It had spread to my lymph nodes. Well, I am still here, thanks be to the Lord. Tell your husband to not give up hope, ever. I found that the worse times did not last. You and your family will be in my daily prayers. Hang in there. Love from Ky.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
(female)

losingtime HB User

Thank you for the good news. I do believe he will do better once I get him to eat. I also will speak to his doctor about the dose of his meds. He has fallen twice yesterday thank God my sons were here with us to help me. I will let you know after I talk with doctor. Also everything he eats burns his throat all the way down. Anyone know whay might help? Thanks again for being here for me it really helps

Closed Thread