It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
(male)

adam4046 HB User
please help, new to forum with sick parent

I was just looking for someone else who has been through this as I don't think I could handle any surprises.

My father has been diagnosed with NSCLC approx 3 weeks ago. He has already had 2 rounds of chemo, but they can't operate because of the type of cancer mass that it is (too soft and apparently too deep in the tissue of the lung) as well as him having COPD. The problem is that his Dr. hasn't given a prognosis or a type of cancer he has. I have seen his PET scan results, and know that the mass in his right lung is considered large for cancer, and also know it has already begun to spread (metastasize) throughout the rest of his body. Primarily his lymph nodes under and around his right chest and pecs, along his shoulders and beginning to climb his neck. They have also found hypometabolic activity at the head of his pancreas, and other small nodules in his spine, hip and adrenal glands around his body. I guess, really I am looking for real time answers here. His Dr told him that they have about a 40-60% chance of managing this cancer and stopping the spread, however, they have also prescribed 2 different types of morphine for pain. I don't want to ask too many questions because his hopes are high, and I know this fight is as physical as it is mental. But I have just spent the last week with him after not seeing him for almost 2 years and he has lost a considerable amount of weight and he is always very sore and tired. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on, or know what I should expect. He lives in Mississippi and I live in Ct, so I can't see him every day. Please help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
(female)

kagee828 HB User
Re: please help, new to forum with sick parent

Hi there. My mom was diagnosed with same cancer last year..almost a year ago. He is losing weight most likely because he has no appetite. Do you know what chemo they are giving him? What combination? I know time is off the essence since you do not live in the same city, I am in the same situation. If I were you I would put a call in to his dr and ask him to shoot straight with you about length of life.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
(male)

adam4046 HB User

He just called me today and let me know that the Chemo has not worked at all and in fact the cancer has spread even more. He begins radiation therapy tomorrow. Still no sign of a prognosis or stage in sight.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
(male)

chaz50 HB User

Adam,

First off you cannot ask too many questions! I went through this with two parents and one in-law. ASK ASK and then ASK again, if the doctor doesn't answer your questions find one that will. Information is your only tool, oncologist's go through this day in and day out, what seems routine to them is a mystery to a patient. If your father doesn't want to know but you do call them and ask. If a doctor cannot spend 5 min ans your question/questions you need to find someone else. Also I was about 4 hours away from my father during his illness, he was diagnosed in November of 98 and he died in July of 98, but the change in him from month to month was shocking. Try to spend as much time as you can, or at least as often as you can with him.

Closed Thread