It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB User
Info please..

Hello...my family has just had some really bad news ...my father-in -law was diagnosed with kidney , lung and artery cancer...it started in the kidney and has moved very fast to the other areas ..he's in alot of pain. The doctor says it's the lung cancer that will do him in and that it's inoperatable ........that just doesn't sound right to me with all the reasearch I've done in the last while ...we'd really like to know the treatment options and rates for survival.....

Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB User
Unhappy Re: Info please..

Well bad news ..he's got less than a year to live and that is only if the chemo works ..as in the chemo may not work and then he'll definatly have even less time. Presently he also has phnemonia but has finally started to eat a little bit again (thankfully) , the cancer in in a large portion of both lungs and it's also in his lynph nodes. On top of that t's a very fast acting type of cancer. We're not holding out much hope..has any one had a prognoses like this and how are hey fairing ? Personally I don't see the use in having chem when we've been told it wouldn't give him much time and will probably make his last days more painfull..
Wer'e all still in shock ..my mother in law died suddenly just 6 months ago ..and we'r estill realling from that....so sorry if I appear to be rambling (my severe lack of sleep and broncitus may have added to it a little too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #3
(female)

precious49 HB User
Re: Info please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1961 View Post
Well bad news ..he's got less than a year to live and that is only if the chemo works ..as in the chemo may not work and then he'll definatly have even less time. Presently he also has phnemonia but has finally started to eat a little bit again (thankfully) , the cancer in in a large portion of both lungs and it's also in his lynph nodes. On top of that t's a very fast acting type of cancer. We're not holding out much hope..has any one had a prognoses like this and how are hey fairing ? Personally I don't see the use in having chem when we've been told it wouldn't give him much time and will probably make his last days more painfull..
Wer'e all still in shock ..my mother in law died suddenly just 6 months ago ..and we'r estill realling from that....so sorry if I appear to be rambling (my severe lack of sleep and broncitus may have added to it a little too.
engineer1961,
I'm so sorry that your family is going thru this. In 2004 my Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer, the Dr. said she would have less than 6 mths. if she didn't have chemo and radiation. She finally decided to do it and did get better. My father then was diagnosed with cancer just after my Mom got better. His was everywhere but he took the treatments also. My father went to be with the Lord in June 05 but he didn't suffer that much from the chemo and radiation. Then my Mom's cancer came back in Sept. 05 but she missed my Dad so much and didn't want the treatments again. I was sad but supported her. She went home to be with the Lord and my Daddy in Dec. 05.
I'm glad that they opted for the treatment because it did give them more time together and with us. It was not always pleasant because of the side-effects but that usually didn't last too long. But each person's body reacts differently. But no matter what the Dr. says--alot depends on the person and the fight they have in them. I will be praying for all of you that God will help in your situation. precious49
God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB User

Thank you Precious...and I'm so sorry for you're loss ..it really is too much for one family to handle in one year but we will get threw this i'm sure ..life does go on for the living.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
(female)

precious49 HB User

engineer1961,
Yes, you're right--life does go on--and our attitude about it makes a big difference. Family support and love can help alot. But most of all the Lord has always been there even when no one else was and I'm so thankful for His Perfect Love. And I know that my Dad and Mom are so happy now so how can I be too sad. I can't. I will continue to pray for your Father-in-Law and you and your family. It will not be easy no matter how it turns out.
precious49
God Bless You and Yours Today and EveryDay

Just make sure that whatever the decision is--that the Drs. or care givers keep him out of pain. They did an awesome job with my Dad and Mom.

Last edited by precious49; 12-30-2008 at 05:56 AM.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
(female)

Dolfins0926 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1961 View Post
Hello...my family has just had some really bad news ...my father-in -law was diagnosed with kidney , lung and artery cancer...it started in the kidney and has moved very fast to the other areas ..he's in alot of pain. The doctor says it's the lung cancer that will do him in and that it's inoperatable ........that just doesn't sound right to me with all the reasearch I've done in the last while ...we'd really like to know the treatment options and rates for survival.....
Hi sorry to hear about your father in law. My mom was diagnosed with non small cell ling cancer february 2008, but I know she had it longer than that and the doctors ignored her pain because of her heart. They said she was inoperable too. Her pain started in the shoulder, under her armpit. Cancer does move fast and the treatments out there are not for everyone. I heard survival stories and not so fortunate ones too. Radiation, Chemotherapy and target drugs seem to be the only treatments out there, but they are not cures. My mom was not responding to any. If the heart is too weak it is not operable and it depends on what side the tumor is because the lung mechanism is "hard-wired" in a way that one side is operable, or removable, and the other is not because it connects to the esophagus and controls the breathing. Our physician states that 1 yr is the average survival rate, but you can't base an individual's survival rate on what is to be expected. Good luck with your father-in-law and know your not alone and comfort and care is all your loved ones need in the hardest of times.

Closed Thread