It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

elainejanice HB User
what can I expect when I die of lung cancer

what can I expect when I die of lung cancer. What will I go through?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
(female)

dflore01 HB User
Re: what can I expect when I die of lung cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainejanice View Post
what can I expect when I die of lung cancer. What will I go through?
I would like to know also. My grandfather was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. He is 77 years old and has severe emphyzema and breathing problems already. Is there hope for treatment? What do we need to expect? I know it will spread to his brain eventually. He started coughing up blood yesterday. Someone please respond to us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
(female)

SherryAnne HB User

First of all, I am so sorry you both have to deal with lung cancer. My Mom had small cell lung cancer and lived for 1 1/2 years after diagnosis (she died July 18, 2008). It was a long and difficult battle for my Mom (and me as her sole caregiver). She went through a lot of physical and emotional ups and downs in that time. Everyone is different and not everyone has the same symptoms or problems. I believe one of the most important things to do is think positive.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

obecindy HB User

I have lung cancer and would like to know the same thing I have just joined so I will look around to find out from obecindy

Last edited by obecindy; 05-18-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
(female)

airplanedriver HB User

My husband died of small cell lung cancer 26 days after being diagnosed. He chose not to have treatment but Hospice instead. This cancer doubles every thirty days in size and is very aggressive. His tumor was grapefruit size when x-rays found it and had small quarter size tumors in both lungs all over. He never indicated he was in pain and at the end ran a high fever and coughed a lot. He quit eating down to just snacks about three days before passing. Less water is good so your loved ones don't feel like they are drowning in the excess fluid your lungs make with cancer. Keep on lots of pain meds towards the end. Oxicodone, moraphine, lorazapam, thorizine cream, are what I gave him. The day of his passing, he was sedated and went quietly in his sleep as I held him in my arms. He was 45 and the love of my life. I remarried a year and half later and now my current husband has colon cancer. I guess I'm in for the long road again. My prayers and peace to you all... This earth is a stepping stone to a glorious life with each other again someday... Keep talking of heaven and keep their spirits alive with hope for things to come... it really helps us all. Peace

Last edited by airplanedriver; 05-24-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: more info

Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

thisworld HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanedriver View Post
My husband died of small cell lung cancer 26 days after being diagnosed. He chose not to have treatment but Hospice instead. This cancer doubles every thirty days in size and is very aggressive. His tumor was grapefruit size when x-rays found it and had small quarter size tumors in both lungs all over. He never indicated he was in pain and at the end ran a high fever and coughed a lot. He quit eating down to just snacks about three days before passing. Less water is good so your loved ones don't feel like they are drowning in the excess fluid your lungs make with cancer. Keep on lots of pain meds towards the end. Oxicodone, moraphine, lorazapam, thorizine cream, are what I gave him. The day of his passing, he was sedated and went quietly in his sleep as I held him in my arms. He was 45 and the love of my life. I remarried a year and half later and now my current husband has colon cancer. I guess I'm in for the long road again. My prayers and peace to you all... This earth is a stepping stone to a glorious life with each other again someday... Keep talking of heaven and keep their spirits alive with hope for things to come... it really helps us all. Peace
my husband had small cell lung cancer. he lived 1 year 2 months. in my heart he was in little pain. and he went through chemo and radiation. and then months later it went to his stomach and they tried a clinical trial drug on him. he got to weak and was put on hospice and pass 6 weeks later. in his sleep. peacefully . but also my mom had lung cancer and she lived for 7 years. so everyone out there. hold on to hope . my thoughts are with you. disney world.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
(female)

Mrs. E HB User

I am sorry to hear about your situations. Unfortunately everyone is different with this type of cancer, my sister passed away in February after battling lung cancer for a year, she gave it a good fight. I say question the doctors constantly about what they are planning to do for you, do research on your situation if you can so you can ask them questions or have someone to go along with you on these appointments so they can keep notes etc. because I think it is overwhelming at times to do it on your own. My sister had chemo and then full brain radiation and it did give her extra time they called it remission but I always thought that ment it was gone but it also means it has stopped growing for a while. I didn't plan my trip right and I managed to fly in to see her in the hospital for only a couple of days before she passed away, she knew I was there but she couldn't talk to me anymore, her husband very much wanted her in no pain so she was getting medication all the time and that is why we couldn't communicate really but she was able to hold my hand and that gave us comfort, and knowing that she wasn't in pain made it a little easier. It was peaceful for her, she couldn't eat or drink anything anymore but the medicine took away the pain and I think that is what all of us would wish when our time comes. Try and be positive and live your lives day by day because you never know what can happen. Best of Luck.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
(female)

ericlim HB User

me too - don't know what to expect - did you find out from this site ?
or another ?

Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
(female)

alakazou HB User

My father (66yo) died of lung cancer in May 2009, less than 1yr after being diagnosed. He spent the last month of his life in the hospital then was transferred to a palliative care facility in the last 10days or so of his life.

The palliative care facility provided us with copies of the following booklet:
"Gone from my sight, still in my heart - the dying process". It was written by Barbara Karnes, as a guide for caregivers. It describes in detail and simple language what the dying person goes through in the last 3 months, 1 month, 2 weeks, 1 week and day of their life. It describes the physical changes, symptoms, etc. It also explains to not worry if the dying person doesn't want to eat/drink, they don't suffer from it as their body is preparing for the afterlife. This booklet is a MUST for anyone and their family going through this process.

It's very well written and informative. My family and I kept referring to it as my father's condition was deteriorating as every day went by. He really went through exactly what is described in the booklet, until his very last breath.
We were with my father until his very last breath. I spent every day by my father's bedside along with my mother during my father's last month of his life. I got to see first-hand the changes his body went through during this "dying process". The booklet made it easier to accept his condition.

Personally, I found the booklet comforting; I knew what to expect as my father's body was changing in the last few days of his life.
I still have my "hard printed copy" and hold on to it.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
(female)

ericlim HB User

thank you so much - I feel very reassured now

The following user gives a hug of support to ericlim:
rouge (12-13-2010)
Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
(male)

apey1226 HB User

Why expect to die? expect to live.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

I have posted about my bil. He is 56 and has lung cancer - removed entire left lung, part of aorta. Had radiation and chemo. Diagnosed about a year ago. A few months ago he was showing signs of brain tumor. Three brain tumors. The biggest - 5 cm - was removed. The other two were inoperable. He had whole brain radiation.

He is very weak and lost a lot of weight. He still tries to do for himself. The other day, my sister was up with him three times during night because he could not get back to bed from the bathroom. He was having a real hard time walking. She called an ambulance. He had just had an MRI the day before and was waiting for results. They did one in ER and found that he had new cancer, swelling, and fluid. Nothing more they could do. They said 2 to 4 months. Today he is supposed to go home with Hospice care in place.

He is back on steroids so he has more strength. Was able to get up and go to bathroom yesterday in hospital. He cannot stand any noise. I visited (we live in different states) and when we sat at dining room table, the noise from the chairs being pulled out made him cring. I went to the store and bought the felt circle thingys and put them on the bottom of the chair legs. No more noise!

He is very quiet. It tires him to talk. He also has emphezema. He tries to lift hand weights and take walks. Very hard time having a bm. Tried everything. Cannot sleep well either.

Good luck to you. God Bless.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #13
(female)

aawaltrip HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryAnne View Post
First of all, I am so sorry you both have to deal with lung cancer. My Mom had small cell lung cancer and lived for 1 1/2 years after diagnosis (she died July 18, 2008). It was a long and difficult battle for my Mom (and me as her sole caregiver). She went through a lot of physical and emotional ups and downs in that time. Everyone is different and not everyone has the same symptoms or problems. I believe one of the most important things to do is think positive.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
(female)

aawaltrip HB User

my husband is 59, has been coughing up blood, and smokes 2 packs a day, he has had unexplained back pain for about a year, and is naturally thin, but is getting thinner, his pants just hang on him, he cannot go one night without taking a motrion before going to bed because he is in such pain, he drives truck 13 hours a day, now he tells me he stopped coughin gup blood, but the er doctro found a spot on his lung and nodules, doctor told me it was early warning signs of lung cancer, but my husband doesnt know that, I have to get him to a doctor, but he refuses to go, said it will cost to much money, he needs a pet scan and a biopsy, the spot concerns me, please someone write back if they can help, thank you!!

The following user gives a hug of support to aawaltrip:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to aawaltrip For This Useful Post:
yingjie (01-24-2012)
Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
(female)

tuckygal HB Usertuckygal HB User

Hello all, I was diagnosed with SCLC in March 2005 and had chemo and radiation. My scans became 'clean' and have remained clean. I just want to urge everyone to keep the faith and stay positive. My thoughts and prayers are with youl

Last edited by tuckygal; 05-12-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Closed Thread