It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
(male)

adjusterrka HB User
Ask questions !!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!

I know, at a time in your life, when your entire world has been thrown into turmoil as a result of a medical diagnosis, it is difficult to rationalize just exactly what is happening, what the prognosis is to be...and how it is going to affect your family and possibly, the rest of your life.

I have battled lung cancer since Sept. 2007, having had two major surgeries, numerous radiation & chemo treatments, and continue taking the chemo pill, Tarceva, daily.

This has been a long, stressful, and very difficult time in our lives. I assure each and everyone out there touched by this disease, be it a friend or family member, there is no way to get through this without perserverence. Stand STRONG and keep POSITIVE thoughts throughout. You can beat this disease !!

My best advice to everyone reading this post is.....ASK QUESTIONS !!

Read anything, and everything you can get your hands on....and ask questions. Lots & lots of questions. Talk to people...perhaps someone will trigger another question....or be in a postion to offer suggestions or advice...but talk about what is taking place in your life. DO NOT allow your doctor to brush you off as if you are unimportant...or beneath his expertise...you deserve to know everything....and he is obliged to take the time to explan what this is going to mean to you..what affect it is going to have on your life...what the treatments are and their side effects.....

On our first visit to the Chemo Oncologist, he spoke in general terms and explained very little...as he rose to bid good-day, my wife quickly stopped him in his tracks by saying, "sit down, we not through here" and continued to ask questions. This particular oncologist no longer expects a short appointment period. He just accepts our questions and your doctor needs to accept them too.

DEMAND THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS.

If something is explained to you, but you fail to grasp what it means, or you just don't understand, ask again...tell the doctor to explain further, not leave feeling like you are dumb, afterall, we're all ignorant with regards to something like this.....demand they explain in terms that you understand fully. Leave NO question unanswered.....and answered to your satisfaction.

The internet...go to the library.....Books, read everything you can.....call anyone you can think of to discuss you situation...but DO NOT just accept what you're told unless you are satisfied with the explanation and understand EXACTLY what you're facing. Make your list of questions and take them with you as you visit the doctor. We kept a piece of paper on the table and regardless of the time of day, if a question arose, we immediately wrote it down. Don't wait, do it then !!

I know this is an extremely long post, and I apologize. However, I see so many posts here asking important questions, with dire hope and a real need to know, and find it a sad state of affairs that this is where everyone must try to find the answers.

My God Bless each and everyone of you....and remember:

THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DIDN'T ASK, AND THEREFORE, NEVER GOT AN ANSWER.....you may die wishing you had taken just a few more minutes.....

Last edited by adjusterrka; 08-09-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: Ask questions !!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!

Thank you so much, dear heart! This is so true! I have many health issues and I also learned that if you don't ask - you don't get answers, be curious, make Dr understand that you mean business and you want to know everything about understanding your disease and how to deal with it. And if he/she doesn't have the answers - than look for someone more knowledgeable.
Life is too short to waist on someone who is not on your side. I believe that only Doctors who care about their patients don't cut app short, they try their best to get you answers and all new research. He will find the way to offer you new medications, tests, etc.
And of course do your own research and learn as much as you can.
My son in law's mother had breast cancer which spreaded to her bones, liver and brain. She was told that her time is 3-6 month... How about 7 years?
Yes, she survived to see him finish college, get married even to my daughter... She was 60 when she left this world, but this 7 years she was so brave, she was such a fighter...
She used to come to her Dr's office saying: don't tell me what my MRI showed, I know it not good, but tell me what you are planning to do about it. They did all alternative medicine possible for her, experimental - the only thing she wanted is to grab another day and enjoy it. So she did...

All the best to you, dear people! Wishing you a very good day tomorrow...

Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

graspingforhope HB User
Re: Ask questions !!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!

Thank you so much for this post! Your suport for those you've never even met and your strength and perseverance while battling this awful disease, and the candor with which you speak to us is very inspiring and uplifting. My dad, 55, was just diagnosed with stage IIIB NSCLC. We received the official prognosis yesterday, and somehow, as strange as it is to my parents and I, all had the same reaction... we found the positive in all of this.. it isn't stage IV, it hasn't spread to his brain, there's an opportunity to fight and to treasure whatever length of time we are blessed to have together.

THank you so much for your post... YOu are in my thoughts and prayers to have continued success controlling this disease and maintaining your wonderful spirit. I pray your positive energy and outlook in contagious in all of those affected by this awful disease. I pray your positive outlook spreads like wildfire.

With deepest gratitude,
Jessica

Closed Thread