It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
(male)

young61 HB User
Family talked me into trying chemo

As I said in another post I have been fighting Lung cancer since 1994, The first 3 times they caught it when it was small and could be cut out and I didn't need any other treatment, But this time I had a CT scan with contrast and it showed a number of cancer spots in both lungs and in my liver.
My Family Doctor for the past 20 years said this time it is terminal.
One of my legs was also swollen so he had me tested for a blood clod and sure enough I have a blood clod in my leg. I had heard that chemo can't cure my cancer but it may be able to control it, But I have read so much about chemo I didn't feel I wanted to go through it, I'm not afraid of dieing but being sick from chemo really scares me. At first I decided just to call Hospice
and just live each day to the fullest until I became to sick. A lady from Hospice came out to see me and as we talked she asked me if I had seen an oncologists? I said no, She said she felt that I looked pretty healthy and could get around on my own, That may be I should see the oncologists before I make the final decision to go on Hospice, So I did, The doctor said he could not cure the cancer but he may be able to pro long my life for maybe a year or so with chemo, And at the same appointment he put me on blood thinners for the blood clod. At my next visit to check my blood I told him I was not going to do the Chemo, I went home and called Hospice again.
Mean while my son's found out and all 3 asked me to please at least try the chemo And if it made me so sick I couldn't stand it, I could always call Hospice again. I called Hospice and the oncologists and told them I would give the Chemo a try. These people are starting to think I'm crazy. I start the Chemo on 11-18-09 I really do not look forward to it. I think death would be easier but no one ever said living would be easy.
If you have already started or finished Chemo for lung cancer could you please give me an idea of what lays ahead.
Thank you and God Bless

Last edited by young61; 11-12-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Family talked me into trying chemo

good luck to you.....it's worth a shot!
I'm glad you're giving it a try, and I know your sons are too.

Closed Thread