It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
(female)

lynn91970 HB User
Lung cancer?

Hello, I am new to this board and am reaching out for support and to see if anyone out there can answer a few questions. My mom (age 63) went to Urgent Care 12/26/2009 and was diagnosed with pneumonia. She was put on a 5 day course of Z-pack and initially felt better. However, within 2 weeks her symptoms returned and her regular doctor put her on Cefdinir (a stronger antiobiotic). The Dr also questioned the effectiveness of the Zpack. 13 days later she recovered and went to her doctor for a repeat checks Xray (1/27/10). The doctor called her yesterday with the results and it looks like the areas on the lungs are larger and have spread. He said her lungs sounded fine and didn't hear the normal crackling associated with pneumonia. The spot on her lung is on the upper right lobe. A CT scan was ordered and will take place tomorrow (1/29). Here are my questions: what else can this be besides cancer? Can it still be pneumonia? If it is, why does she feel better and the lungs look worse? Can a chest CT scan differentiate cancer from pneumonia? or will a biopsy be needed either way? I am worried sick. If anyone has any insight I really apprecaite it. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Lung cancer?

Please let the experts handle this.What ifs are going to get you on meds,to calm you down.I know mom's are precious.My brother has lung cancer.He is 89.He is taking it one day at a time.His wife is in the hospital,with a few problems.I am surprised that he is taking this so well.He is normally afraid of his shadow.He was locked in a basement when he was five,and never liked the dark,after that.Pray for our troops and the people of Haiti.I'm sure she will get out of this frightfull occasion. Bill

Last edited by friendsville; 01-28-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread