It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

lynn91970 HB User
Biopsy Results

The Doctor called today and the biospy results from my mom's bronchoscopy are negative for cancer and infection. He said this doens't necessarily rule out cancer though, and he had to review the CT scan again and we will talk at tomorrow's appointment about what the next steps are. There definitely is something blocking the airway to the right lung which has caused its partial collapse. Has anyone seen this before? If the diagnosis is eventually going to be cancer I wish it would have come today. All of this waiting is really hard, and we expected to get some answers today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Biopsy Results

Lynn, that is good news. I would try to just remain optimistic at this point. I know of a case where an individual had a spot that ended up being chemical pneumonia caused by a hiatal hernia that dumped digestive matter into the lung. After repair and removal of the section of lung, the patient did very well. She is alive and well some 25 years later. Don't give up hope just yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

Betsypup HB User
Re: Biopsy Results

We are going through the exact same thing with my 70 year old father. He has a large mass in his upper left lobe. Bronchoscopy came back negative, PET scan showed mass but no spread, MRI was negative. He has no symptoms other than a dry cough and fatigue. He never smoked. He has a needle biopsy scheduled for Tuesday and a biopsy of the surrounding lymph nodes scheduled for after that. The thoracic surgeon is 95% positive it is malignant (although the good news is that they think it is localized and has not spread) but I guess they want to rule out TB or infection before they do surgery.

We've been told that even if the needle biopsy comes back negative, they will treat the mass as malignant and remove it. The surgeon thinks it is attached to 2 ribs but that sometimes during surgery, it falls away from the ribs. If not, he'll just remove portions of the ribs.

The waiting has been awful. We first learned of the mass 2 days before Christmas but it seems like eons ago.

Please keep me posted and I'll do the same.

Closed Thread