It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
(female)

Veronica3102 HB User
Lung Cancer surgery stories

My Dad was diagnosed over 3 months ago with Lung Cancer. It seems by all means to be contained to a fairly good size mass in one lung. He did two rounds of chemo and now next week he will be having surgery to remove the tumor and a large part if not all of his lung.

Aside from the initial reaction to him being diagnosed, I have to say the anticipation of this surgery is very hard for me. I am the super emotional one in my family, my sister and mother are very "strong" on the outside, so I am really trying to prepare myself for the surgery so I that I am not a crying fool who can't control herself. I am the type of person who needs to know what will go on to prepare myself. While I FULLY believe my Dad will be fine, I have a VERY hard time seeing him have the surgery and seeing his body go through this. I am a total Daddy's girl who has a very strong Dad, so to see any kind of weakness is heart wrenching for me. So while I have read how the surgery is done, side effects, and all the "medical" aspects of it I would love to hear any stories you have.

I am concerned with how long the surgery will take, how long he will be on a ventilator, how long he will stay in ICU, how long until he is even just remotely back to himself or anything like this. I know every story and situation is different. Any advice on how family member deal with the surgery, what you did during the surgery if you were the family member and how you dealt with initially seeing the patient and how to help them.

GOD bless you if you have taken the time to answer or even read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
(male)

young61 HB User
Re: Lung Cancer surgery stories

Hello Honey
most of the time this or any operation is harder on the family then the patient, There is no reason to think the operation and recovery won't go well.
I have been through the operation 3 times and I'm still here I'm sure who ever is doing the operation has done it many times before, It might take from a few weeks to a month to be himself, But you will be surprised how fast he is your same old dad.
God Bless

Closed Thread