It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

aklei090 HB User
Pneumonia or Lymphoma?

My husband was taken to the ER on March 27 because he was very ill (night sweats, changing body temperature, headaches, nausea, weakness, fatigue, dizziness ,etc). We suspected because he had been exposed to mouse feces that it could be hantavirus. We took him to the ER and they put him on IV right away and began a flurry of tests. After a chest xray, the doctor sat down with him at 4:00 am and told him that he has a very large mass in his left lung above his heart and it could either be lymphoma which is blood cancer or pneumonia. He took Tyler (DH) down to the xray and he said that it looked about the size of a soup can and was completely white with defined lines. The doctor said it was probably just pneumonia but it was a strange place to have it in, that its usually in the lower lung lobe and that his white cell count was not elevated which it should be if he had pneumonia. He called in an internist who put him on two heavy dose antibiotics to cover that base and I was asked to graph his temperature every 4 hours over the weekend. It went as high as 39 and as low as 34 degrees celsius. Anyways, we met with the internist on March 29 and he essentially did nothing. He didn't even do a physical examination. He said finish the antibiotics and we will send you for more xrays. What is the chances that both the ER doctor and the Internist can't tell the difference between pneumonia and lymphoma in both an Xray and a CT Scan? I am very concerned as my husband is still very young and we have 3 small children. He is my best friend in the whole world and I have just been devastated. I know the process of diagnosis can be a painfully long process but I have not been able to sleep and his next xrays are not until April 12 which feels eyons away. Has anyone else had a similar situation and what do you think the chances of it being pneumonia are? Any advice? Thank you and God Bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

Betsypup HB User
Re: Pneumonia or Lymphoma?

In December, my Dad went in for a routine x-ray. Every doctor, pulmonologist and thoracic surgeon said it was lung cancer. Other than pain, fatigue, some weight loss and a cough, he had no symptoms. He never smoked but his mother died at age 58 of lung cancer--she never smoked either. For three months he had every test in the book. MRI negative, bronchoscopy-negative. PET Scan--a slight "light up" in the mass. Mediastinoscopy-negative. 2 biopsies-negative. Even still, the doctors all felt it was cancer. The surgeon didn't want to upen him up for nothing so last week, he ordered one last CT scan. The mass had shrunk significantly and my father was diagnosed with having a bacterial infection--most likely lingering pneumonia. He's been on antibiotocs for a week now and is feeling much better.

I hope this gives you some help and maybe, a bit of hope. From what I understand, differentiating cancer from an infection isn't as easy as it would seem.

Blessings.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
(female)

Betsypup HB User
Re: Pneumonia or Lymphoma?

I also forgot to add that my father's mass was "tangerine-sized" and located in his upper left lung--on the outside of his lung.

Closed Thread