It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

dora2505 HB User
Dad has Lung Cancer...help!!

Yesterday Dad aged 75 and very for and well was diagnosed from a CT scan with lung Cancer. He said it is the size of a 10 pence coin and in his upper left lung just after the opening to the bronchus. He is going for a Bronchoscopy on Tuesday. The doc said it isnt in his lymph nodes but how can he say that if he hasnt taken biopsies?
I am devastated and from reading on the net the prognosis is very poor.
I am trying to find out what type it is
He had bowel cancer 10 years ago and been fine ever since.
Will they know if its secondaries from the scope ?
If anyone can offer me any ideas I would be so grateful
x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

angg33 HB User
Re: Dad has Lung Cancer...help!!

Hi, Im sorry to hear what your father is going thru. The doctors can see on CT scans if lymphnodes are enlarged...that usually prompts the biopsy. But, to be POSITIVE, yes you are right, they need the biopsy. And, yes by the biopsy they can tell if it is the original type of cancer cells that he had 10 years ago. If thats the case, then they will call it "matastesized" in other words "has spread". Good luck to you and let us know how your father is doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
(female)

dora2505 HB User

Thanks for taking the time to reply. He had his biopsy via bronchoscopy but they could not get a good enough sample. Now he has to have it direct through a chest wall incision. Then he has to have a PET scan. This all going to be another 2 week wait. His tumour is in the upper left lobe 5cm large. I am worried 2 weeks wait will make it get bigger

Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
(female)

angg33 HB User

My dad has a gleason score of 9....which means very aggressive and it does move quickly in doubling in size fast. It depends on the aggressiveness of the type of cancer to know if 2 weeks will make a difference or not. Lets hope and pray the time wont change anything for him. My dad had his biopsy a couple of weeks ago....his lung ended up collapsing after the procedure...if that happens to you, dont worry! It is a usual occurance and it is easy for them to fix it. But, of course it wont be a comftorable situation. Good luck! and keep us posted! It helps to hear different stories to alleviate some of the stress that goes with this. Be sure to keep in close contact with his doctors....you have the right to ask all the questions you want (just make sure dad has said you can have the info).

Closed Thread