It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

dannymae HB User
Mom's Diagnosis

My mom was just diagnosed with lung cancer. I feel so lost. I am numb half the time and unstable the other. I'm trying to be there for her but she wants no part of it. I have been researching as much as I can but it just makes things seem worse...She has non-small cell lung cancer - something called bronchioalveolar - but that's all we know right now. The statistics are so terrible - am I missing something? Is there anything I can tell my mom to giver her hope?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
(female)

graspingforhope HB User
Re: Mom's Diagnosis

Hi Dannymae,

I am so sorry to read of your mother's nsclc diagnosis. I know all too well what you are/were feeling as my dad was just diagnosed with stage IIIb NSCLC. Hearing that your parent is about to face the fight of their life, for their life, is absolutely debilitating. I couldn't even think straight for the first week and thought the wait for the official prognosis was going to drive us all insane. My dad, my mom, and I are doing our best to stay optimistic even when hearing terrifying things like "very aggressive", "quick growing", "no cure, only control as best as we can"... I pray that your mom is doing well at this time, and in good care. I also pray that you are getting the support you need from your family and friends. Should you ever need to talk, or even have any advice on how you've begun to cope, I'd love to have someone to talk with who is in a similar position... God bless you, your mom & family..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymae View Post
My mom was just diagnosed with lung cancer. I feel so lost. I am numb half the time and unstable the other. I'm trying to be there for her but she wants no part of it. I have been researching as much as I can but it just makes things seem worse...She has non-small cell lung cancer - something called bronchioalveolar - but that's all we know right now. The statistics are so terrible - am I missing something? Is there anything I can tell my mom to giver her hope?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB Userkimber687 HB User

DannyMae/Grasping,

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through .. just today at 1pm I am sad to say my mom was just diagnosed with it too at 69 years old. She has been in ICU since last Saturday with pneumonia and as the pneumonia is starting to clear, the mass appeared.

I am beside myself, my dad is a mess seeing his wife of 47 years go through this and my mom, although intubated in the hospital does not want to be there and doesn't know yet.

I go from crying to feeling numb .... and of course would give her my lung in a minute but know that can't happen.

If you can use someone else to talk to I am here and more than willing .. we are not sure yet what treatment will happen since she still has to kick the pneumonia first but any insight on anything would be appreciated.

I can't believe I am posting here .. its surreal.

Kim

Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

graspingforhope HB User

Oh Kim,

I am so sorry that you have joined this group.. one of few groups that no one ever wishes to be a part of. Let's face it, no one would choose to ever know the feelings of someone you love having cancer... Reading yoru post brings me right back to the day I found out about my dad... I too went from crying uncontrollably, to being in what my mom and I called "a persistent state of being numb". So far, I've found that having to wait to find out what battle lies ahead, what stage the cancer is, what treatment options are, etc was the hardest part.. until you know what you're up against, your mind tends to think the worst. Now that we have my dad's prognosis, and he began chemo and radiation today, our thougths are focused more on managing his pain and maintaining his strength as much as possible to get him through treatments... we've agreed that there is not room for any negative thinking...

I know first hadn that there are people who look at the first day of chemo/radiation, etc, the beginning of something bad... my mom is an angel and gave my dad and I the perfect was to "label" today and each day from here on out... "One day done – one more hug, one more kiss and one step closer to being done…" Try to keep up a positive outlook and attitude... Your mom, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Feel free to chat anytime! I'm here always!

God bless,
Jess

Closed Thread