It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
(male)

adjusterrka HB User
Expectations ??

I have suffered with stageIII, NSC lung cancer for the past three years....I have been through surgery, two rounds of radiation, and many, many chemo treatments....the cancer has recently mets to my liver...resulting in this becoming StageIV....and the diagnosis isn't good...

I asked as many questions of the onchologist as I could think of, except the obvious...what can I expect as symptons of the digression of the liver ? Just what can I expect with regards to pain ?

I have reconcilled myself for what is to be, but the wife of 37 yrs continues to struggle with the reality of it all..

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

For those who suffer with this awful disease...NEVER GIVE UP !!!!

May God Bless each and every one of you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
(male)

bigdogdad HB User
Re: Expectations ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterrka View Post
I have suffered with stageIII, NSC lung cancer for the past three years....I have been through surgery, two rounds of radiation, and many, many chemo treatments....the cancer has recently mets to my liver...resulting in this becoming StageIV....and the diagnosis isn't good...

I asked as many questions of the onchologist as I could think of, except the obvious...what can I expect as symptons of the digression of the liver ? Just what can I expect with regards to pain ?

I have reconcilled myself for what is to be, but the wife of 37 yrs continues to struggle with the reality of it all..

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

For those who suffer with this awful disease...NEVER GIVE UP !!!!

May God Bless each and every one of you...
I sincerely admire you for your will to fight, your courage and your concern for your wife of 37 years. While you are fighting the Cancer within your body, your wife is fighting for the man she loves. Cancer is a disease that affects the entire family. Your love, concern and apprehension for what is ahead for your wife demonstrates your tremendous depth of the love you have for your wife. I commend you for your dedication to fight this horrible disease and for your concern for your wife.

My mother died at age 48 in 1987 from Colon Cancer which had spread to her liver. At a Center of Excellance medical facility, they attempted to remove one third of my mothers liver and were not successful. 24 years ago, the imaging capabilites of CT Scans and MRI films was in it's infancy compared to what we have today. Once my mothers surgeon physically could see the extent to which her liver was under assault, they did not proceed with the liver resection.

To be perfectly honest with you, my mother did live with significant abdomenal pain partly as a result of the liver surgery, but also due to the other 4 major surgeries in her stomach and lower chest area. We were able to manage her pain with Morphine injections.

If your Oncologist seems unwilling or is unable to help you manage your pain, which will likely be chronic pain at that point, I strongly encourage you to seek a Specialized Pain Clinic. My father is battling Stage 4 Lung Cancer as we speak. I asked my Pain Clinic Physician about the capabilities of our local Oncologists for addressing the patients pain and discomfort. He very frankly said "Despite my best attempts to work with the Oncologists, many simply want to use the same old drugs they are familiar with, which means they compromise some patients pain control since they refuse to use many of the newest, best pain meds available".

I plan to have my dad work with my Pain Clinic Physician as soon as his pain management becomes a problem through his Oncologist. Each persons experience and pain tolorance is different and the Pain Clinic Physicians are very skilled at which drug, at what strength will manage your pain the best approach possible for you.

Please keep us posted on your status if you don't mind. I genuinely wish you and your bride the very best. May God Bless both of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
(male)

adjusterrka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogdad View Post
I sincerely admire you for your will to fight, your courage and your concern for your wife of 37 years. While you are fighting the Cancer within your body, your wife is fighting for the man she loves. Cancer is a disease that affects the entire family. Your love, concern and apprehension for what is ahead for your wife demonstrates your tremendous depth of the love you have for your wife. I commend you for your dedication to fight this horrible disease and for your concern for your wife.

My mother died at age 48 in 1987 from Colon Cancer which had spread to her liver. At a Center of Excellance medical facility, they attempted to remove one third of my mothers liver and were not successful. 24 years ago, the imaging capabilites of CT Scans and MRI films was in it's infancy compared to what we have today. Once my mothers surgeon physically could see the extent to which her liver was under assault, they did not proceed with the liver resection.

To be perfectly honest with you, my mother did live with significant abdomenal pain partly as a result of the liver surgery, but also due to the other 4 major surgeries in her stomach and lower chest area. We were able to manage her pain with Morphine injections.

If your Oncologist seems unwilling or is unable to help you manage your pain, which will likely be chronic pain at that point, I strongly encourage you to seek a Specialized Pain Clinic. My father is battling Stage 4 Lung Cancer as we speak. I asked my Pain Clinic Physician about the capabilities of our local Oncologists for addressing the patients pain and discomfort. He very frankly said "Despite my best attempts to work with the Oncologists, many simply want to use the same old drugs they are familiar with, which means they compromise some patients pain control since they refuse to use many of the newest, best pain meds available".

I plan to have my dad work with my Pain Clinic Physician as soon as his pain management becomes a problem through his Oncologist. Each persons experience and pain tolorance is different and the Pain Clinic Physicians are very skilled at which drug, at what strength will manage your pain the best approach possible for you.

Please keep us posted on your status if you don't mind. I genuinely wish you and your bride the very best. May God Bless both of you.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
(male)

adjusterrka HB User

Thank you for you insight as to what can be expected regarding my illness..I know how difficult it must be for family members to make the transistion to caregiver...and bear the pain of watching the deterioration of a loved ones health.

I appreciate you taking the time to address my concerns...I wish you well with your father's illness....my heart goes out to him, yourself and your family...

God Bless....

Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
(female)

graspingforhope HB User

My heart just broke into a million pieces upon reading this thread. You, and your dear wife, are in my thoughts and prayers. Please know that your posts have made a significant difference and were a ray of hope in the darkness.

Praying for peace and comfort both for you and your family... God bless you...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
(male)

adjusterrka HB User

I sincerely appreciate you concern...your thoughts and prayers a greatly appreciated...I have come to the realization of the future and have decided to see that my family understands this is simply a part of life, for even the patient. I can't say it is easy to accept the inevidable, but I am at peace, not only within myself, but with my family, and with my Lord. All is well...

I have once again bagan I V chemo treatments and must say, I seem to be tolerating this chemo rather smoothly. I was concerned that I would suffer the same side effects as prior treatments, on which I would make the decision to stop all treatments. For my wife's sake, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. I will continue these treatments, once ever three weeks, for a period of 9 weeks, at which time I will undergo another scan.

I continue to have hopes, and shall do so until all hope is gone. This is the best advice I can offer anyone suffering with any terminal disease....never quit..never give up...

I wish you all the best.....may God Bless

RA

Last edited by adjusterrka; 09-14-2010 at 09:02 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to adjusterrka:
graspingforhope (11-10-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
(female)

graspingforhope HB User

I am so glad to hear you are coping well with your chemo treatments this time around! I truly believe that maintaining a positive outlook, and holding on to hope and faith (whatever faith one may believe in) are key factors in fighting this illness. I wish you the best with your continued treatment and next scan and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers to have both quantity and quality of time with your wife and loved ones. God bless you RA... keep fighting the good fight

Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
(male)

geme HB Usergeme HB User

Quote:
I sincerely appreciate you concern...your thoughts and prayers a greatly appreciated...I have come to the realization of the future and have decided to see that my family understands this is simply a part of life, for even the patient. I can't say it is easy to accept the inevidable, but I am at peace, not only within myself, but with my family, and with my Lord. All is well...

I have once again bagan I V chemo treatments and must say, I seem to be tolerating this chemo rather smoothly. I was concerned that I would suffer the same side effects as prior treatments, on which I would make the decision to stop all treatments. For my wife's sake, I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. I will continue these treatments, once ever three weeks, for a period of 9 weeks, at which time I will undergo another scan.

I continue to have hopes, and shall do so until all hope is gone. This is the best advice I can offer anyone suffering with any terminal disease....never quit..never give up...

RA
I am glad to hear that you have a good attitude and are keeping your faith in the Lord.

My mom had Gastric Lymphoma and her prognosis was very grim. She went to M.D. Anderson Cancer Center here in Houston for treatment and I am happy to report that she has been in remission for 20 years.

I am not passing judgment on the facility where you are getting treatment, only suggesting that if you want a second opinion, come to Texas.

I'll put you on my prayer list.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
(female)

graspingforhope HB User

Hey there RA,

I haven't seen any posts from you lately & just wanted to check in on you. I hope this message finds you doing well and still tolerating your treatment well! You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL...

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER QUIT..
Jess

Quote:

RA

Closed Thread