It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

wifeworrypot HB User
Lower Lung removal recovery Please help

My husband of 28 is going in on Monday for surgery to remove his left lower lung. I am worried how long it is going to take for him to recover both in the hospital and over all. I am pregnant and due in 2 weeks and desperately want him to be there for the birth.

Has anyone had this done and can give me some idea of recovery and for his age. Silly thing is he hasn't suffered from any breathing problems or health problems and was only found out due to some major weight loss earlier in the year so is overall healthy.

The following user gives a hug of support to wifeworrypot:
jeandom (11-22-2010)
Old 10-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
(male)

Lloydat62 HB User
Re: Lower Lung removal recovery Please help

At different times I have had both parts of my left and right lunged removed, The right lung was very easy my Doctor went through the front of my chest like an open hart operation and I was home in a week and felt great in 2 weeks,
But the left lung is behind the Hart so they have to go in through the back, I have had that done twice and the shortest time in Hospital was 2 weeks and even then they let me come home But I had to have a special drain tube in my side near the lung for a few weeks at home, The recovery took me about 2 months. both times And my left arm and side didn't work to well for about 2 1/2 months. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
(female)

leopard HB User
Re: Lower Lung removal recovery Please help

I had my right lower lung removed and it took a few weeks to recover. I was in pain for the first week and then slowly recovered after that. I imagine everyone is different. I am 66 and your husband is young so I bet he will recover much faster than I did. My ribs and back were sore.

Closed Thread