It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

stretch7425 HB User
nsclc stage 4, side effects of chemo and radiation

My wife has stage 4 nsclc, had brain surgery to remove tumor, 38 radiation treatments and 4 chemo treatments, last treatment was july 28, had a pet scan sept 27th, was told that the tumor in her chest was smaller and the pet scan did not show any cancer. WooHoo.
My concern is about the pain she is having in her lower back/pelvic area,stomack and she has trouble swallowing.
Numbness in hands and feet, I was told that this is side effects of the chemo drugs, toxal and carboplatin.
It seems that the pain is getting worse as has the numbness, how long after chemo is stoped do side effects keep getting worse?
Will she ever regain feeling in her hands and feet?
thanks for any info.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

graspingforhope HB User
Re: nsclc stage 4, side effects of chemo and radiation

First & foremost, I am so glad to hear the PET scan results were so positive! That is inspiring & gives us all so much hope! My dad is currently going through radiation and chemo as well. His oncologist explained that the radiation builds in his body wtih every treatment, as does the chemo.. so with each treatment the side effects continue getting worse & he becomes weaker... that being said, we were told that approx 4-6 weeks after treatment we should start seeing "marked improvement" in his side effects. I'm sure you already have mentioned the pain & numbness to her Dr, but if not, I certainly would to see if there are any meds to help with the pain or any further tests that are needed.

I hope this helps! May God bless you & your wife in her battle against cancer.

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER QUIT,
Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch7425 View Post
My wife has stage 4 nsclc, had brain surgery to remove tumor, 38 radiation treatments and 4 chemo treatments, last treatment was july 28, had a pet scan sept 27th, was told that the tumor in her chest was smaller and the pet scan did not show any cancer. WooHoo.
My concern is about the pain she is having in her lower back/pelvic area,stomack and she has trouble swallowing.
Numbness in hands and feet, I was told that this is side effects of the chemo drugs, toxal and carboplatin.
It seems that the pain is getting worse as has the numbness, how long after chemo is stoped do side effects keep getting worse?
Will she ever regain feeling in her hands and feet?
thanks for any info.

The following user gives a hug of support to graspingforhope:
SeldomSeen (01-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User
Re: nsclc stage 4, side effects of chemo and radiation

I don't know if this will help. But at one point in my life I had toxic levels of medication in my body and from my ankles down..my feet were completely numb. I am wondering if the large doses of medicine "chemo" your wife had....is affecting her the same way and with some time away from it...maybe her symptoms will subside....Just a thought

Closed Thread