It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

sadiebabie HB User
tumor next to aorta, surgery.. maybe?

My father has a 5cm cancerous tumor on his lower left lobe of his lung. After numerous tests and DR's appointments, they found out the cancer has NOT spread (except there is a tiny spec on the right side, but the pet scan didn't pick it up really? I don't know..) .. Anyhow, they said it did not spread and they're going to take the tumor out. The only problem is that it's next to the aorta and they don't know if it's touching it, pressed against it, etc.. and if so, they're not going to operate. They will close him right back up and have to give chemo and radiation..

Our worst fear is that they can not remove the tumor... How effective is chemo & radiation on a tumor on the lung?

Anyone have any advice or input, please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
(male)

skoat HB User
Re: tumor next to aorta, surgery.. maybe?

hi, my dad has 6cm mass on left upper lobe and we have been told they cant tell if it is attached to aorta. they are saying chemo and radiation will shrink tumor and if it is not attached they will see it shrink away from aorta and then remove. this all happened today. we are getting a second opinion. i've been searching online and have come across other tests that can tell if it has invaded aorta. i hope this helps you in some way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

sadiebabie HB User
Re: tumor next to aorta, surgery.. maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoat View Post
hi, my dad has 6cm mass on left upper lobe and we have been told they cant tell if it is attached to aorta. they are saying chemo and radiation will shrink tumor and if it is not attached they will see it shrink away from aorta and then remove. this all happened today. we are getting a second opinion. i've been searching online and have come across other tests that can tell if it has invaded aorta. i hope this helps you in some way.

My father is NOT going to have surgery right now, as they think his cancer may have spread to the bone. Did your father have a PET scan done? If not, I highly recommend it. Thank you for your reply though and I wish u the best of luck.

Closed Thread