HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   My dad was diagnosed in Oct with stage 4 lung cancer. (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/822402-my-dad-diagnosed-oct-stage-4-lung-cancer.html)

beepbeep35 11-09-2010 02:27 PM

My dad was diagnosed in Oct with stage 4 lung cancer.

My dad was diagnosed in Oct with stage 4 lung cancer which has already spread to his head. He has been givien 4 or less months to live. He has choose no treatment other than steroids for the swelling in his brain.

He is currently on spriva... for COPD and to seems to help with the coughing at night.

the latest symptom dad has is a numbing of the right foot and he has trouble walking. I am not sure what else to expect for symptoms during the next 3 months.

If anyone else has experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks

moggymay 11-17-2010 03:28 AM

Re: My dad was diagnosed in Oct with stage 4 lung cancer.

Hi, my dad also has stage 4 which was found in October. He had a tumor in his head and one one in his lung. They took the one in his head out. No one has talked about how long he has or anything like that...why do they think they can't do surgery for your Dad? Is it small cell or are there a lot of tumors? I am so sorry this is happening to your Dad and your family. I know how you feel, it is a nightmare. Is your Dad otherwise healthy? Mine had no idea he even had this till the tumor in his head got really big and started causing him problems, thats when they found it. He would have never known otherwise. I hope you have lots of support around you.

dauert02 11-26-2010 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=beepbeep35;4620098]My dad was diagnosed in Oct with stage 4 lung cancer which has already spread to his head. He has been givien 4 or less months to live. He has choose no treatment other than steroids for the swelling in his brain.

He is currently on spriva... for COPD and to seems to help with the coughing at night.

the latest symptom dad has is a numbing of the right foot and he has trouble walking. I am not sure what else to expect for symptoms during the next 3 months.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

dauert02 11-26-2010 07:47 PM

Okay, I am not sure if this will help & I do have lots of questions, too. Ex-husband, Stage IV Lung Cancer--small cell. Found three tumors in his brain, from the tumor in his lungs. Removed one tumor--from his brain stem, other top of brain, removed within 5 days of each other. Finished 10 days of radiation. Dr. wants to start chemo, next wk. He was on steriods, as soon as they did the scan & found the brain tumors. All this happened, end of August, so I realize that the clock is ticking. Had spinal cord fluid leak from his incision, had to return to hospital. Checking blood sugar three times aday, with being on the steriods. Leak repaired itself, without having to insert a shunt. (Thank the Lord) Finished steriods, gradually. But he is so very swollen, from the chest down. Now his ankles, feet & lower legs are sooooo swollen, that he can not walk. And very red. Had scan down, blood clot in his right leg. So now got blood thinners for him. Third day, no change. Feet way swollen. And I do not believe that he is uriating--peeing--hardly at all now. So, does that mean that his organs are shutting down & he is retaining all of that toxin fluid?? He has stopped eating & bathing. He is cold now, all the time--I am sure this is because of the poor circulartion in his legs & probably his whole body. Is this the last stage of the lung cancer? Should we prepare for the worst? Dr. said that with radiation & chemo, he could live 10 months. Without the treatment, he would live 3-4 months. We have done the radiation but from what I have researched, I do not believe the chemo will help him. It will just make him sick. He has really no pain with the lung cancer, tho he has smoked all of his life & is still smoking, which I know is irratating the tumor in his lungs. He says that he can no longer cough up anything. He has a cough, but it is not to bad yet. Will this cough get worse?? Drs. just jump around all of the questions that I ask. I hope that this can help in some small way & I sure would like to chat with anyone that knows anymore about this terrible, terrible cancer.

sad blue eyes 06-20-2011 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=beepbeep35;4620098]My dad was diagnosed in Oct with stage 4 lung cancer which has already spread to his head. He has been givien 4 or less months to live. He has choose no treatment other than steroids for the swelling in his brain.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I`m really sorry about your father, my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that matastized to the brain. She was diagnosed march 17 and had a full brain radiation, 10 day treatment , she is now doing chemo, that was done on june11, and she has become very weak and can barely walk now. Her worst symptom is the dizziness and her vision has been effected by the tumors on her brain, there are 14 tumors on her brain. My mother is 72 and was in pretty good health, she had no cough, just dizzy is what sent her to the doctor. Her vision and weakness are the main symptoms as of now. She also is sleeping alot and depression I believe is a part of the sleepiness. Being there to support and love is the only thing I feel I can do for her right now, it`s been very hard on my entire family. It seems this has torn my family apart, does anyone else have this situation? My step-father has become very mean and angry and lashes out mostly at me. At one point he hit me, I truly think he`s losing it. Please if anyone has any advice?