It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
(male)

long73 HB User
Lung nodule: should I wait for 1 year or have the CT sooner

Hi all,
I'm 37 yr old, non-smoker. I've had fatigue and some minor chest pain starting in Mib Feb of this year that lasted for months. After numerous medical tests (blood, treadmill, echo, EKG...), the family doctor and the cardiologist concluded that I'm healthy and the symptoms were caused by stress. I was not satisfied, so I had a full body CT (paid with my own money). The test found a lesion on my liver and a lung nodule on my right lower lobe.

I followed up the liver findings with ulstrasound and MRI, both of which concluded that the liver lesion was nothing more than a benign cyst.

So, the lung nodule is now my concern and anxiety. The pulmonologist and the family doctor said that i'm low risk and need not to worry about the lung nodule. However, since I showed my anxiety, they suggested me to a low dose CT in May 2011 to make sure that lung nodule is not cancerous.

Since a year wait is too long, I had the Early-CDT lung (Early Cancer detection test for lung) < edited > in June 2010. Good news: the result was negative. However, I found out that the EarlyCDT-lung is only 40% sensitive (out of 100 patients, it can only picks up 40).

Then, a month ago, my chest started to feel weird (kind of dull pain/heavy/congested...sometimes it's on the left, near the heart, sometimes it's one the right). Then 2 weeks ago, I started coughing...the coughing only happens during the day, and it's not too bad...maybe 1 or 2 in 1 hour...but reading Kimslos's post, this was the symptom her husband had....then i just noticed recently that I sweat alot while sleeping...like last night, it was 58 degree, i was sweating in the middle of the night...this was another symptoms described by one of the member here...so i'm now worried

Should I have my repeat CT now, instead of waiting until next May? Can someone responds...confused, scared, worried...the anxiety pain is too much sometime...

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-23-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

Connie87 HB User
Re: Lung nodule: should I have for 1 year or have the CT sooner

Hey, I think you should get the scan done sooner rather than later. My mother was diagnosed a few weeks ago with lung cancer. She was in last year with a burning pain on her right side and tightness in her chest so the doctors assumed it was her heart and she had all the tests done and clear, including a chest x ray. But then this year shes in and has a 1.8cm mass on her right upper lobe. When she asked the doctor was it there last year and they said it wasnt.

Supposedly the type of cancer she has is a slow growing one but yet they are saying there was nothing there last year. She now has the cancer in the lymph nodes surrounding her trachea aswell as a 2.2cm tumor in her lung. If she was listened to last year and the CT scan i think we would be facing a more possitive outlook.

So please try not to leave anything to chance with this as cancer has a better prognosis if caught early.

Let me know how you get on with everything.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
(female)

madelyndanielle HB User

hi, i am a 24 year old female and have also had the scare of my lifetime during a recent visit to the cardiologist. i went in for a chest xray and came out with a cancer scare. the doctor had found some sort of non calcified growth on my left lung. they told me that i could opt for a ct scan or come back in three months to check the growth. i think i am going to follow suit and have my CT scan early, like you the suspense is killing me and my family. i had posted on other boards but when i saw you post where you described chest pain it resounded with my symptoms. for the past year since about february i have had an aching pain sometimes pressure in my left side around my heart. since i am a heart patient the first thing they did was run tests and send me home with nitro (other tests still pending), that was before they found the spot....i was just wondering if they said that your chest pain was definitely associated with your nodule or if it was a separate issue....curious

Old 11-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
(male)

long73 HB User

I had my CT scan yesterday and will have to wait until this Thr to get the result from the pulmonologist. I'm so nervous because I thought I could get the result today, over the phone...but the receptionist said that I have to get it in person...i'm scared that the result is not too good and that's why the doctor needs to see me...i'm just hoping that he wants me to come in just to charge my insurance....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
(male)

long73 HB User

As you can guess, my anxiety is running so high right now...though i haven't gotten the results yet, but i am fearing the worst...i was reading an article where they said that the papaya tea helped a lot cancer patients...some were even cured...sounds too good to be true...Connie, would you consider papaya tea for you mom? You can google "papaya tea cancer" and will find lots of information about how the papaya leaves help others...

I was wondering if you mom actually had the cancer last year...the doctor said it was not there because they only used the X-ray, instead of CT scan...the X-ray could have missed it

Last edited by long73; 11-30-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
(male)

long73 HB User

updates: i received my CT scan result last night...the 4mm on my lower lobe is stable (no change since the may 2010 scan). The pulmonologist said that the symptoms I've had (chest pain/congestion, coughing) are NOT caused by the nodule because it's still to small to cause any symptoms (even if it's cancerous).

He asked me to come back in May 2012 (2 years since the first scan of this May) to make sure it won't change in size and he could close the case at that time. He also said that if it remains unchanged, it's very very likey benign and that it will remain there forever. So, in case I have some kind of scanning down the road with another doctor, do not panic and start all the unneccessary scannings.

So, I guess it's good news up to now. But I'm going to do something extra between now and May 2012. I'll have another blood test to make sure it's not lung cancer. There is a lab at a university in Chicago that is developing a blood test for lung cancer. The phD was featured on ABC news. He said his group test is around 95% accurate. He agreed to test my blood sample. I will have it done sometime around Christmas.

Also, in case you don't know, there is a breath test for lung cancer which is under clinical trials now. The study should conclude in Mar 2011. If the outcome of the study is good, hopefully the breath test will become available to every doctor office soon.

If you guys want information about the blood test and the breath test, contact me. I am not selling and advocating for any company. I'm just a regular person with health anxiety like all of us here, in this forum, and just want to help.

Anyway, thanks God and Virgin Mary for the favorable scan. I prayed hard and will continue to pray, for us all.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
(female)

Fullenlove HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by long73 View Post
updates: i received my CT scan result last night...the 4mm on my lower lobe is stable (no change since the may 2010 scan). The pulmonologist said that the symptoms I've had (chest pain/congestion, coughing) are NOT caused by the nodule because it's still to small to cause any symptoms (even if it's cancerous).

He asked me to come back in May 2012 (2 years since the first scan of this May) to make sure it won't change in size and he could close the case at that time. He also said that if it remains unchanged, it's very very likey benign and that it will remain there forever. So, in case I have some kind of scanning down the road with another doctor, do not panic and start all the unneccessary scannings.

So, I guess it's good news up to now. But I'm going to do something extra between now and May 2012. I'll have another blood test to make sure it's not lung cancer. There is a lab at a university in Chicago that is developing a blood test for lung cancer. The phD was featured on ABC news. He said his group test is around 95% accurate. He agreed to test my blood sample. I will have it done sometime around Christmas.

Also, in case you don't know, there is a breath test for lung cancer which is under clinical trials now. The study should conclude in Mar 2011. If the outcome of the study is good, hopefully the breath test will become available to every doctor office soon.

If you guys want information about the blood test and the breath test, contact me. I am not selling and advocating for any company. I'm just a regular person with health anxiety like all of us here, in this forum, and just want to help.

Anyway, thanks God and Virgin Mary for the favorable scan. I prayed hard and will continue to pray, for us all.
Hi I read your thread and I'm really interested in the blood test you're talking about and would love some more information - it's right before Christmas so I'm really curious about your progress on this front? I'd also love some information on the breath test as well. I see you're in Southern California like me and was wondering how you found out about this stuff happening in Chicago (great Googling skills?) .
I have a 9 mm noncalcified nodule with "mildly irregular margins" on my right upper lobe that was just discovered this week and I'm only 29. My doctor wants me to follow the "wait and see" approach - yeah right. Wait and see if it spreads if it is in fact serious? Crazy.
Hope all is well and look forward to your response!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
(male)

long73 HB User

Hi there,
i haven't made any progress on the blood test I mentioned because the favaroable results of follow up CT scan greatly reduced my anxiety. However, I am still planning to have the test done soon. Will post it here when it happens. In case you want to try the test yourself, you can first read the article about it by doing this (sorry, I cannot post the direct link here because I think this forum does not allow it): type in the following phrase in google "Jeffrey A. Borgia cancer test", then click on the first result found. At the bottom of the article, there are contacts for both the breath and blood test.

The blood test is what I want to do.

If you want the lung cancer breath test that is under clinical trial, google for "clinical trial for lung cancer breath test", then select the first result found.
The sponsor is the company that developed this test. You can google for the sponsor name, from there you can email the MD. He will reply to your email, but that is about it. He would not let me try the test since it is under clinical trial.

Closed Thread