It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

bb312 HB User
7mm irregular nodule in lung

the ct scan on March 1, 2010 says, a 2.4 cm area of hyper-lucency in the left upper lobe. Along the inferior margin of this is a 7mm irregular nodular area is seen.
The surgeon wrote to my gp that there is a cystic lucency in the left upper lobe approximately 2.5 cm in greatest diameter. The inferior aspect is somewhat irregular.
The surgeon reassured me that is likely benigh and may be related to an old infection.
I had a repeat ct scan today and at 6:45 PM still have not heard from the Dr. His nurse had said that she would let him know it was done today and he would likely look at it on the computer today and not wait for the report. The hospital told me they would not have the report to the Dr. until Thursday mid day.
Do the radiologists read these reports the same day they are taken? if it showed some glaring issue would they call the Dr. immediately or wait for the report to go to him two days later?
I am slightly anxiety filled about this. Any thoughts I would appreciate it.
I am in good health have no symptoms, run intervals everyday for an hour and am getting stronger and better at running and in best shape I have been in 25 years. Would I be able to do that if cancer was developing?

The following user gives a hug of support to bb312:
sjb (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
(male)

bb312 HB User
Re: 7mm irregular nodule in lung

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi what are the symptoms? In one person's experience a local hospital did not return normal results for several days. In another better hospital farther away it gave results on the spot.

Have any tuberculosis tests been done?

Some people with cancer run a fairly normal life for many years. Some live and survive many years and even become cancer free later. It is not the sentence it once was for many people anymore.
No symptoms at all, no tb tests either. He was very confident that it was nothing last March. I just spoke to a friend of mine that is a physician he said ct scans get read in 24 hrs., but if there was anything there they would have called the Dr. right away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi In a local hospital the report did not come back for days or weeks (it has had a lower hospital rating) In a bigger better hospital the result was on the spot.

Some lumps are benign and apparently harmless in some people's opinion.
There is a nice test called the AMAS test that checks the blood to see if it is cancer. I think that is a wonderful test because it would allow a person to check without such invasiveness. A second test makes the test more accurate.

A lot of people survive cancer many years and do many activities. In my opinion a brisk walk every day may make it more survivable. In school I learned that running actually increases risk of injury to joints and feet in contrast to walking. Cancer is not the sentence it once was for many people especially if health is taken care of and good attitudes are continued.

Have any tuberculosis tests been done?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
(male)

bb312 HB User

no tb tests done?

Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi tb test can be free in some places.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
bb312 (12-07-2010)
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
(female)

nikster13 HB User

Hi tere, I just returned from my heart doctor with regards to a follow up apt, in which he advised me through the CT scan for my heart they found 2 nogles on my lung. I am so scared and do not know what to do. I have contacted my primary doctor and have apt next week.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
(male)

bb312 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster13 View Post
Hi tere, I just returned from my heart doctor with regards to a follow up apt, in which he advised me through the CT scan for my heart they found 2 nogles on my lung. I am so scared and do not know what to do. I have contacted my primary doctor and have apt next week.
Well as hard as it is RELAX. I went through it and it is hard. I worried for 9 months, when I just had the rescan, the nodule was gone was not a nodule in the first place. They did find another small one in another location. The surgeon said he would not even follow that up accept that he wants to do another scan in a year and a half. From my readings I found that ct scan is so good that they find so many nodules in people that are nothing. Now the other side is if they did find something you can get it taken care of and move on and live your life, happily. Hang tough ask your Dr. lots of questions. I had to have my doctor give me some xanax to relax. All will be fine. Keep me posted.
Good luck

Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
(female)

nikster13 HB User
Question Re: 7mm irregular nodule in lung

BB312, Thank you for replying so quickly. I know i need to breathe and take it step by step. I found this out by accident. The CT was for something else going on. So, with all that i am bit worried.

What kind of questiions would you suggest I ask my doctor? Would you insist for a PET scan?

Thanks again!

Last edited by nikster13; 01-12-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
(male)

bb312 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster13 View Post
BB312, Thank you for replying so quickly. I know i need to breathe and take it step by step. I found this out by accident. The CT was for something else going on. So, with all that i am bit worried.

What kind of questiions would you suggest I ask my doctor? Would you insist for a PET scan?

Thanks again!
I can understand that. I also learned that most lung nodules are found by accident. Which if it is a problem is very good that you caught in early.
Questions; well I was so nervous I am not sure I asked them but my thoughts were;
1- I have no symptoms
2- Is there any fluid around the nodule
3- How big is the nodule
4- The standard seems to be 6 months for a recheck, I went to a thorasic surgeon, because that is the way I am, got to get to the guy who is going to do the job (who knows if it was right or wrong), my surgeon wanted to wait a year, I freaked along with my Dr., so he did it in 9 months.
5- How would you know if it is changing and how long is it safe to wait before a recheck
6- How much exposure to radiation will you be getting
7- then hang tough, glass or two of red wine at night works, xanax worked very well.
I know it is hard, but try your best to relax likely it will be nothing. As I said I read so much that they are quite often nothing. Also your Doctor did not send you right to the hospital, which indicates to me that things are not that dire. That is what a friend of mine told me that is a Dr. he was reassuring and said that if it was a danger they would never let you wait around for a week or two.
You can also call the radiologist and get his/her thoughts.
stay in touch

Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
(female)

nikster13 HB User

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate it

The following user gives a hug of support to nikster13:
bb312 (01-12-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I would use freshly made grape juice instead of wine. Alcohol can have bad effects on the liver and that is not healthy. For similar reasons I would not use xanax which the body also has to try to detoxify.

I would use other fresh juices also if I thought there was danger of a cancer. An AMAS test may also help decide what that is. I would not smoke and if a person is smoking, obviously for health reasons they aught to quit in my opinion and I read in the opinion of at least one of the past surgeon generals (It used to be on the cigarette pack).

Closed Thread