It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

lwhite86 HB User
My father was admitted to hospital on jan 7th

My father was admitted to hospital on jan 7th with severe back pains. Once in hospital and tested we discovered he infact had lung cancer which had spread to his bones. The cancer was spreading fast and was very aggressive so the decided to focus on pain control. 3 weeks later he was great he still couldn't move but was well medicated and out of pain and very lively. Then he took a turn for the worse he started being sick, having diorreah and very bad indigestion like pain causing hiccups. Because he couldn't keep his morphene down he became very uncomfortable and in serious pain. After a day he was moved to a side ward and having the morphene straight in to his arm. On the day he died 31st jan he was struggling breathing and very cold. There was a bad smell and now I realise it was probably his body shutting down from inside. He was very aggitated and kept trying to get out of bed. So doctors gave him medication to calm him down. He then was very comfortable and peaceful and kept smiling as we talked so he was aware we were there and he was happy. He then died very peacefully. In relation to some stories I have heard it was a relatively peaceful experience although ge was back in pain for a while this was only really over the course of about 4 hours and the last hour or so was very peaceful. I'd imagine every case is different but essentially cancer is a very cruel ilness that eats from inside so the breathing and shutting down from inside are probably standard but as long as the pain is controlled and the patient is comfortable that's all people can wish for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lwhite86 For This Useful Post:
bubblegirl (02-19-2011), corinne56 (06-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: My father was admitted to hospital on jan 7th

Thank you for telling his story. It sounds as though it was a relatively peaceful experience for him in the end because his cancer was so advanced before it was even discovered. Lung cancer is a nasty one too!

It was lovely that you were with him near the end- to talk to him & keep him calm with happy memories. When you are over the pain of his death it will be nice for you to think back on also.

Closed Thread