It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

Deborah45 HB User
Can a tumor in the lung be hidden in scar tissue

My mom was just recently admitted to hospital. We took her by ambulance, because she was not acting right, somewhat confused, and disoriented. She was dehydrated and had a fever when she arrived at the emergency room. They started her on anibiotics right away.
She has a history of Breast and lung cancer. Her lung cancer was 3 years ago, they did a wedge thing (not sure of the name) and had chemo and radiation. Before the surgery they tested the lymph nodes in the chest wall and it tested positive.
Every three months she is seen by her radiation dr. and they do chest x-rays and CT scans. There is no changes in the scans, but she does have alot of scar tissue.
While in emerg, a Doctor from infectious disease was called in and he went through her cancer charts with a fine tooth comb, and told us that he thought may have a pneumonia (but not the usual one everyone gets) and that this type is usually caused by a tumor. We told him that she has scans and x-rays regularily and that no new tumor was ever detected. His reply was that there could be one and is hidden by scar tissue.
Also a month ago she complained of a bad pain on the opposite side of the lung she had surgery on, and after a CT scan they found that she had broken a rib. When they did a CT scan in emerg recently, they found she had another broken rib on the other side.
She also has lost weight very rapidly, she is only 75 lbs, she has COPD and enphazema.
When she was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 years ago she also had pneumonia. And she now has it again. Could there be a tumor hidden in scar tissue? If so what should be pushing the dr's to do to find out. They don't seem to concerned, and it is very upsetting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
Re: Can a tumor in the lung be hidden in scar tissue

I have to wonder the same. My 17 year old is going thru the same. She had surgery on what they thought was a 2cm lung "mass" and they found out it was a pulmonary embolism! Why,how? They don't know for sure. But she is still having left sided pain and the nausea,vomiting,flushing face and there is an ill defined opacity on her left lung . Now some are saying it is just scar tissue. What the heck?

I will pray for your mother,I can only imagine what you must be goiung thru. She needs all you can do for her, you are a great daughter to be there for her.

The following user gives a hug of support to lilsunshine46:
Deborah45 (03-03-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to lilsunshine46 For This Useful Post:
Deborah45 (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
(female)

Deborah45 HB User

Thank you lilsunshine, I will pray for your daughter as well she is so young to be going through this. I just think that Doctors should be looking further into my mom because with both of her cancers (breast and lung) the nodes tested positive in both cases. But thats Canada for ya, I would much rather have the care that the US has I have friends in the US and they tell me that in the US they get right on to things, none of this wait and see attitude that Canada has.

Again thanks for your thoughts and you and your daughter are in my prayers

Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

Deborah45 HB User
Question Re: Can a tumor in the lung be hidden in scar tissue

Back from family doctor today, with a follow up for pneumonia. She says to finish antibiotics, and then go for chest x-ray in six weeks to see if pneumonia is cleared up. I still have a scared feeling, that something is just not right. With her history of cancer in lymph nodes and drastic weight loss I would think that a PET scan would be in order

Old 03-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Not even a CT?In my daughter's case she has already had too many CT's, it's not a matter of money ,it's a matter of exposure to radiation. She is going to have an Octreotide scan , which I think is kind of a speacial CT, in a few weeks so it is a waiting game.
I took her to the dr today,again, because she was sent home from school because she threw up and had a fever of 100.5. Unfortunately the school doesn't understand ,she ALWAYS has a low grade fever of 99.4- 100.8 and she is always nauseous. although the throwing up in the past few days first thing in the morning or in the middle of the night is new.
I guess the wait and see approach is sometimes all we can do. You will have to be the person who stays on top of gauging (hopefully i spelled that word right) your Mother's symptoms and making sure she gets the right treatment.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
(female)

Deborah45 HB User

I haven't heard of Octreotide scan before, I hope that will show what is definatley wrong with your daughter. And I do hope she feels better soon. And also I hope you for you that they get to the bottom of everything. And yes the waiting game. I have no patients for waiting when it has to do with someones health.
My mom just had a CT scan while in the hospital last week or the week before and they say there is nothing new in it. That is a blessing, but I do think they should do the PET scan because I read it can tell the difference between scar tissue and tumors and can even detect if a tumor is hidden in scar tissue.
If she contracts pneumonia again, I am going to have to insist that one be done.

Prayers for you and your daughter

Closed Thread