It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

littlelady4220 HB User
Small Cell Extensive Lung Cancer

Can someone please give me the truth about the prognosis of stage four, small cell extensive lung cancer? My husband was diagnosed with this, just started chemo, and has never had one symptom. The oncologist says the rate of cure is 70-80%, and with everything I've researched it is hard for me to believe. I have said nothing to my husband as he has a positive attitude. Someone, please tell me the truth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Small Cell Extensive Lung Cancer

I really hate to respond to this one but as my father in law has just been dx'd with Stage 3 Adenocarcinoma non-small cell Lung Cancer on Thursday, I have been doing tons of research. This is what I've learned about your husbands condition.

Survivial Rates for Small Cell Lung Cancer have improved since the addition of radiation therapies to treatment.and the use of PCI, but remain low. The overall 5-year survival for small cell lung cancer (limited and extensive) is only about 6%. Without treatment, the average life expectancy with extensive disease is 2 to 4 months, and with treatment is 6 to 12 months. Since small cell lung cancer is rapidly growing, and we have come a long way with other fast-growing cancers such as leukemia, it is hoped that better treatment will be found in the furture.

I will add you and your husband to my prayer list. I am so sorry that you are having to live this life. I hope you are able to find some peace and rest soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
(female)

Jshapedstomach HB User

Get him tested for LEMS its a simple blood test. I have been told that small cell lung cancer is one of the easiest to fix. My father had bone cancer got his femer replaced and a partical hip replacement. My father has always been healthy. The best hospitals are Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital. My father was posititve to.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
(female)

littlelady4220 HB User

Thank you, Katlin. First, let me say that I am very sorry to hear about your father-in-law and will keep him in my thoughts and hope that he beats this horrendous disease.

Since first posting my question, I have learned a great deal about SCLC Extensive. The statistics are very frightening. My husband just finished the second round of chemo, has four more to go. He has a CAT scan tomorrow. He feels very good, the only side effects being the loss of his hair (only on his head), minor aches and pains, and low white cell counts, and he gets injections for that. He has a really good appetite and although he is a little tired, he still has alot of energy and is working full time. Those are good signs, but I'm not fooling myself. I know what the future may bring. He doesn't - his outlook is very positive, he refuses to look it up on the computer and learn the facts, and maybe that is for the best. Attitude means a great deal.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me and please keep in touch. All anyone can do is take this one day at a time.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
(female)

littlelady4220 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshapedstomach View Post
Get him tested for LEMS its a simple blood test. I have been told that small cell lung cancer is one of the easiest to fix. My father had bone cancer got his femer replaced and a partical hip replacement. My father has always been healthy. The best hospitals are Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital. My father was posititve to.
What is LEMS? You are correct that small cell lung cancer responds very well to chemo. But it is not the easiest to fix by any means.

I am very glad that you father is doing well.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
(female)

Jshapedstomach HB User

Lambert Eaton Syndrom it is a auto immune nuromuskular diesase. pardon my spelling.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
(female)

littlelady4220 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshapedstomach View Post
Lambert Eaton Syndrom it is a auto immune nuromuskular diesase. pardon my spelling.
I have never heard of that before. Is it something that is generally associated with cancer? Forgive me, I'm a bit confused why he should be tested for this when biopsies show definitely small cell lung cancer extensive. If you can tell me something more, it will give me an idea of what to ask the oncologist. Thank you.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
(female)

Jshapedstomach HB User

you can develop Lambert Eaton Syndrom from small cell lung cancer. all it is is a simple blood test. they treat it with IVIG and it works great. Its just somethng you may want to rule out to be on the safe side.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
(female)

littlelady4220 HB User

Thanks for the information, I'll keep it in mind and ask the doctor about it.

Closed Thread