It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
(male)

suttstar HB User
Diagnosed before Bronchoscopy??

Hi, new to forum and really scared right now.

My Mum has been suffering with a wretched cough for weeks. Been through the usual- cough medicine, hayfever treatments, anti-biotics all with no result. She had an x-ray that led to a CAT scan and had the results yesterday.

She has been told that she had a tumour in her lung, that it is cancerous, and that she has 'spots' on her liver. She has also been told that surgery is not an option (as they don't know whether it is secondary??) and that she is having a bronchoscopy tomorrow in order to determine what chemotherapy she is having!!

I am very much uninformed about this and haven't really any idea of diagnosis and prognosis.
What I am wondering (for now!) is -
Is it possible to diagnose lung cancer straight from a CAT scan?
Is it possible to rule out surgery straight from a CAT scan?
How will they deduce what is on her liver?

I am concerned that they have ruled out surgery before a biopsy, and wasn't aware that it could be diagnosed 100% cancer from a CAT scan (thought they would need biopsy results?)

I'm very confused and very scared for my Mum, she is only 52 years old and is scared herself. She is petrified about the whole thimg, esp Chemo and I'm trying to understand the process for her.

Plaese help if you can, sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

Wayne

Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User
Re: Diagnosed before Bronchoscopy??

suttstar.. so sorry to hear this

They dx my mom from an xray. She had the bronchoscopy later to determine what exact type of cancer it was. I think it would be possible to rule out surgery from the scan because they know what areas are operable and what areas are not. My moms was inoperable and was in the left upper lung. She too was on meds for flu, etc (and lost a bit of weight).. and eventually lost her voice. We later learned that was because the tumor was pressing on her vagus nerve which controls vocal cords. The good thing about the liver is that you dont need all of it. They can usually safely remove portions if need be.

Lung cancer hits you like a freight train. (As Im sure you agree, Im really sorry). You will be spending a lot of time at the clinic... put on a brave face.. it's going to be one of the toughest things you've ever dealt with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread