It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

coolie HB User
Question Timing of telling friends and family about cancer diagnois

After a needle biopsy, my surgeon called me yesterday to let me know that the reselts showed that I did have lung cancer. This was really a shock since prior to the results I was told that it was almost certain this would be benign. He told he my case would be discusses at the "tumor board" this Tuesday. From the conversation, I know the tumor is non small cell and is 26x30 mm. Seems pretty small, so I think I'll have uphill battles but will come out okay. I am in great health otherwise.

Now, for the hard part how can I tell my adult sons (and at this point even my husband) about this? I know this is serious but really want to have more information before getting them upset. I'm thinking about holding off at least until I talk to the doc again on Tues or Wednesday. Any advise on the idea of holding back on this until I know more. I can't see much sense in having them worry until I know more. Thoughts/advise?

Thanks for any advise!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to coolie:
slenderella (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Timing of telling friends and family about cancer diagnois

I'm in total agreement with you, I would wait until I had more information. however, if you find yourself feeling especially worried and in need of love and support, then by all means tell your husband immediately. The children can wait. God bless you, I hope everything works out well.

Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
coolie (07-31-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

Took the words right outta my mouth slenderella.

So sorry to hear of your news coolie. Be sure to find a clinic that specializes in cancer care, theyre making great stride now days.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
(female)

coolie HB User
Smile Re: Timing of telling friends and family about cancer diagnois

Well, I did wait to tell my family and friends about my cancer. I am so glad I waited. Although I do have lung cancer, I've had a PET scan and been diagnosised as most likely stage one, yay!!!! Overall, it was a much easier message to deliver, I was able to let my kids (who are adults) know this is a tough situation that will turn out okay

@Karzy 2 Day- thanks for the advise of going to a top notch cancer. I live in a small town in California, it there isn't a thoriac surgeon available. I've been able to reach out and ihavev the surgery done by a top notch thoriac surgeon associated with the Huntsman cancer Institute in Utah (almost impossible to get into Stanford closer to my home). I feel a little bad that I've had the local docs get me this far, then I'm going move on. But, really I feel I need to look out for my health rather than their feelings or egos.

Overall, such great news for a tough situation.

Thanks again for the great support and advise.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
(female)

krazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB Userkrazy2day HB User

---I was able to let my kids (who are adults) know this is a tough situation that will turn out okay---

So glad to hear stage 1 coolie. And yes, your health comes way before their ego. Best of luck to you and your family.

The Following User Says Thank You to krazy2day For This Useful Post:
coolie (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

Thank God that it's "just" (you know what I mean) stage one. I wish you the very, very best.

regards, Sue

Last edited by moderator2; 08-06-2011 at 04:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
coolie (08-06-2011)
Closed Thread