It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
(male)

tonyinhampshire HB User
Excess mucus and other symptoms

Hi and hope you an comment

I have been constantly clearing my throat of phlegm for six Months, usually sticky clear / white. Mostly during the day and when I talk. It often calms down at night time with no excess in morning. I do not need to cough but I feel the need to bring up the mucus which can taste salty. I have noticed a small streak of red blood on a few occasions during the six Months. I sense a fruit smell, or sweet or musty smell in my nose and in the mucus. My skin seems to produce the same smell at times in the sweat.

In recent Months have had a few spells of fever / chills at night and fatigue. I have taken antibiotics which have not helped the mucus production but have warded off fever, etc.

Sometimes I sense mucus in the trachea which seems to irritate airways. I saw ENT and they said it looked hypersensitive. I have a CT scan due of throat and lungs in a few weeks time. I had two negative chest X-rays at Month 1 and Month 6.

Many blood tests have been negative.

I am also being investigated for chronic diareah and bowel issues and due colonoscopy next Month as sigmoid was clear. Not sure if there is a link with the lungs / throat.

I am 49 years old male, non smoker. Can you make sense I fear the worst case scenario but so far nothing

thanks

tony

Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User
Re: Excess mucus and other symptoms

I also have a lot of mucus never knowing when I will have flare-ups. One of the things I noticed that makes it worse is diary products. Try taking Mucinex on your worse days this will break up the mucus and also try staying away from dairy and see if your symptoms improve. Mucinex can be bought over the counter at Wal-mart, drug stores etc. My Pulmonary doctor recommends taking this for chronic mucus. lung infections. I hope this information helps. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
(male)

tonyinengland HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestoldies View Post
I also have a lot of mucus never knowing when I will have flare-ups. One of the things I noticed that makes it worse is diary products. Try taking Mucinex on your worse days this will break up the mucus and also try staying away from dairy and see if your symptoms improve. Mucinex can be bought over the counter at Wal-mart, drug stores etc. My Pulmonary doctor recommends taking this for chronic mucus. lung infections. I hope this information helps. Good luck.
thanks it does and is interesting. I have noted a connection between eating and production of mucus. When i eat I have more excess mucus. The hospital has performed two x rays with noting to show. I had a CT scan of the throat and upper part of lungs and a thyroid cyst is shown. however, it appears to be clincally insignificant says doctor. hope your situ improves

tony

Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

So you may have more than one issue that is causing the clearing of the throat. The good news is your lung scan was good. Our biggest fear is being told there is a problem. The doctor will most likely monitor the cyst on your thyroid, since they are fluid filled they can increase in size or stay the same. The mucus is caused by some other factor, as I mentioned pay attention to the foods you eat. Also do you ever notice any sinus problems no matter how minor. The sinus can affect the lungs when you irritate the lungs the tubes can start contracting creating mucus. Also you may want to see a immunologist or allergist to see if you have any food allergies. Unfortunately I feel like I could write a book on sinus's and lungs, I know far too much for obvious reasons. I hope some of this helps. Good luck, keep me posted, I hope you get some answers from the doctor's soon.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
(male)

tonyinengland HB User

hi bestolodies, Thankyou once more. yes the thyroid problem could explain alot , but the danger of labelling could miss other things, thanks for your advice i will seek further help in other areas. i refuse to give up because the dr said the scan was ok. yes ok, but the problem is there for a reason. hope you own situ improves, regards, tony..ps you could write a large book on thyroid issues alone !!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
(female)

I may just do that in the near future. My mom and brother both had thyroid issues. Yes you are smart by being your own advocate, if I had not done that I would not know what I know today. Some times doctor's sort of make light of things when they shouldn't. When I was in the hospital a few years ago because of pneumonia and sinus infection, I have Asthma, they discovered a nodule in my lung. The doctor never told me while in the hospital he told me two months later at the end of the appointment. He said here are your prescriptions and get another lung CT scan before your next appointment. I said lung CT scan why, you said my lungs were clear. He said we noted a nodule in your lung need to keep a eye on it. I said I was never told this, he ignored me got up and left the exam room. That was when I fired the doctor.

Closed Thread