It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

*Daughter* HB User
Blood in Phlegm in the Morning

My Dear Mom has been coughing up blood in her plhegm (only upon awakening in the morning and then it is clear) for a couple of months. She went to the doctor, had a chest X-Ray and now the doc recommends a CT scan. She is going on a cruise next month (Sept) and asked the doc not to book the CT scan until October. I am frustrated that she is being so laid back about this and the doc too....

The X-ray report states: a soft tissue opacity is identified posterially on the lateral view and may be within the lower right lobe measuring 4 cm. Linear Atelectasis or scarring is present int he Lingula. There is no pleural effusion - lower right lobe could hold a forcus of pneumonia but it is hard to rule out a mass.

My Mom smoked for many years and quit 3 years ago. Other than the blood in the mucous (mornings only) she feels totally fine and is not losing weight, etc. The radiolosit recommended that she be X-rayed again in 3 weeks to rule out pneumonia but her doc is sending her for a CT scan because she is an ex-smoker. If the doc and radiologist suspected cancer would they rush these tests along? Can this blood be a symptom of something other than cancer? We live in Canada and if they wait for a few more weeks to book the CT scan who knows how long it will be before she actually gets it.....

Thank you in advance for any insight and has anyone coughed up blood to have it not be LC?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
(female)

*Daughter* HB User
Re: Blood in Phlegm in the Morning

Lots of views - thank you! Feedback would also be much appreciated!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

loveourdad HB User
Re: Blood in Phlegm in the Morning

I am new to the board here as of this morning, but I am on here regarding my dad. He had been coughing up blood in the mornings. He was treated at the beginning like he had a chest cold/infection Had him on zpac but it did not go away. In May he went in to ER with chest pains and it has changed our life since. He was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer. It is a rarer form of the Lung Cancers. We are battling this as a family and he wants to fight as hard as he can. At the beginning of this he weighed in at 271 and after chemos/ and radiation he is now down to 233. He has lost all appetitite and taste buds. This is a new struggle and now we have to focus on keeping him to eat to prevent this downward battle of weight loss. He was stubborn at the beginning to even go to the Dr. But he could not take the pains any longer and here is where we are. I do wish you the best for your mother. Hopefully she gets in sooner than later to know what is going on for sure. My dad was scared he would get these results which is why he said he kept putting it off for the fear of knowing. >Maybe your mom might have a smimilar feeling?<

Closed Thread