It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
(female)

clynnmay97 HB User
dull pain in back of chest - lung cancer?

I have noticed a dull constant pain in the middle of my back on the right side of my spine for about a week or 2. It is not horrible but always there. I can't 'feel' it on the surface, it is inside my rib cage and is worse when I breathe deeply or move. My father was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma when he was 41 and died at 42. I am 38 and I do smoke. I have had an irritating cough for about a year and cough up brown junk in the mornings. I have no insurance so I don't know the least expensive, yet effective, test for lung cancer or if I should even be concerned. Is this just 'getting old', or pleurisy, or what?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: dull pain in back of chest - lung cancer?

It is certainly worth investigation with your family history & smoking history. I don't know where you live but couldn't you go to a teaching hospital & get a chest xray? I would imagine that would be the cheapest option. A full blood test would also be good!

The cough may just be due to the smoking but if you have this pain as well then it certainly needs investigation! Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

clynnmay97 HB User

I hadn't thought about it. We only live about an hour from U of L, maybe they could do it cheaply. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

clynnmay97 HB User

Well, the x-ray was normal, just some minor calcification. But the pain has increased AND spread (entire right side and some of left side). Getting out of bed this morning was horrible! So my Dr. ordered Zyrtec (don't know why), an inhaler (which I didn't get, I have heart palpitations and chest pains if I so much as sniff caffeine), and a z-pac. Maybe this is some kind of lung infection. Who knows.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Zyrtec is because allergies can cause asthma or cause a cough due to postnasal drip. Do you have any history of allergies?

The inhaler is a stimulant, but if you only take one puff, it's not that bad. Believe me, I'm very sensitive to stimulants myself.

The Zyrtec or Z-pack should work within a couple weeks if they are going to. Hopefully you can get this resolved.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
(female)

clynnmay97 HB User

I just called in to the Dr.'s office, he didn't see me. I guess he just assumed symptoms that I don't have. No, I don't have allergies, so I don't know why the Zyrtec. And I don't have a cough, so I didn't get the albuterol. Just going to try the antibiotics first.

This board has really been a help to me. I didn't tell anyone about any of this, so I had no one to share these concerns with. I only told my husband about the x-ray yesterday AFTER I got the results. No one else knows. Thanks for giving me a listening ear!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
(female)

loveourdad HB User

Hi. I am so sorry that you are going through the pain and worry of this. I do hope that you get to feeling better. My dad got diagnosed with Small cell lung cancer back in May. It is so rare of all Lung Cancers. All the stories we hear and hope stories but none have had the Small cell lung cancer. I see in your post that your dad was diagnosed at 41 and passed at 42. My dad was diagnosed at 49 in May and just turned 50 in Aug. If you have time to talk about your dad with me? I need some kind of understanding of this form of lung cancer. I am so angry about it and all the we read is not so good in the end. Thank you so much for your time.

Closed Thread