HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   Worried and waiting for x ray results (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/868178-worried-waiting-x-ray-results.html)

bettyboop32 09-08-2011 09:23 PM

Worried and waiting for x ray results

I am 48 years old and have smoked for over 30 years. I have always had somewhat of a smokers cough but this July I got very ill. I was diagnosed with bronchitis and given a course of 4 different antibiotics. This was at the beginning of July. I still have this awful cough and it has had some blood tinged streaks in it, sometimes it is productive and other times it isn't. Prior to this I lost 24 pounds without any explanation as to why the weight came off. My calcium levels are high in my blood and I need to repeat the blood test in a couple of months. The doctor send me for a chest xray yesterday, the technician said it would be probably 3 days before it gets typed and sent to the doctors office but if I wanted to I could have my doctor call and get the results. I am having shortness of breath and back pain as well and smoking very little. I know I should quit but that is easier sadi than done. I called the doctors office today and they said the results were not in yet? The office is crazy busy where I go, it is more like clinic then a doctors office. Should I assume my xray is fine since I have not heard anything and stop worrying? I just cant get rid of this awful cough and it is difficult working, I am exhausted and tired and just dont feel well. The cough seems to be worse at night and I have tried cough medicine which does nothing. Please advise me on what you would do. Thank you.

music47 09-08-2011 09:30 PM

Re: Worried and waiting for x ray results

Betty

I would keep calling the dr's office till they get the results. My prayers are with you.

Hugs Nadine

bettyboop32 09-08-2011 09:35 PM

Thank you. I will try again tomorrow. I would have thought if it was anything serious they would have contacted me so that is what I keep telling myself but I really need to know what is going on. Thanks, again.

galla4321 09-23-2011 03:04 AM

My prayers are with you.

Reno Kathi 10-01-2011 03:16 AM

Hi,

I'm a 51 year old woman...have smoked 6 cig's a day for about 28 years. Recently, I started having shortness of breathe, a cronic cough, unlike my normal smokers cough, and was sent by my Dr. for a lung X-ray...the results came back as "unusual"...and caused my Dr. to send me for a chest CT Scan, with contrast, (iodine)...they found multiple nodules in my lungs....not present a year ago....and I've been told I may have lung cancer. I've been having pain, and shortness of breathe for about 8 months. And chronic pain in my chest (lungs), and lower back....I would suggest a CT Scan...it shows everything. I was diagnosed with large, and small nodules...thus the pain and inflamation, and back pain I've been having. Ask your doctor to do a CT Scan, with iodine...

Peace,
Kathi

Reno Kathi 10-01-2011 03:23 AM

Hi, again...

I, too, have been told I have to wait 6 months for another CT Scan to confirm, or deny the presence of cancer. My next CT is in January 2012. The waiting is driving me CRAZY!...I've had to seek counciling, as I cannot seem to remove myself from the fear of it all. I know what you're going through...and will be praying for both you, and myself. I'm so scared...

Peace,
Kathi Smith

bettyboop32 10-01-2011 10:28 AM

I am having a ct scan this Monday please say a prayer for me.

bettyboop32 10-02-2011 11:17 AM

That is frustrating and worrisome. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

mamasnug 11-12-2011 03:13 PM

In my experience, they call you asap when they find something. If you really want to know, get a low-dose sprial CT scan. I am 42 and I just quit smoking. I have had similar problems to you, besides others. I had a chest xray that showed damage from the smoking, I made my doctor do a full Chest CTscan. I get the results Monday or Tuesday I think. I did this because my husband was just diagnosed with lung cancer on Monday and we have a 6-year-old. I decided to face it all at once, his issues and mind, be brave and not live in fear. Typically, if it's serious, they will tell you right away, but that depends on the office you go to. If you're in a busy clinic, walk in and ask for the report. If there's something on it you do not like, go for the CT scan. Fear is the worst thing to have with this, as I am learning, because the longer you put off knowing something like this for sure, the worse it is for you. If there's anything and you find it fast, you have a fighting chance. Lose the fear. I am telling you this from experience. I have tried not to think about this all day as far as my own results. I did an xray last week and made the doc read it right there. Then, I had a CT of the heart, it catches 75 percent of the lungs and nothing was noted. To be sure, I had the full chest xray run. I will not keep going to these things because the radiation is bad for you, but I will do it at least once every two years if all checks out. And I smoked for 23 years. I am 42. My husband is 56. He has a 4.9 cm mass and we are going to battle on it next week. Had he gone to the doc six months ago, that battle would have been way easier!

mamasnug 11-12-2011 03:16 PM

prayers said. i am waiting for the results of mine too. i should know monday or tuesday. big hugs. it will be ok. it will. being proactive saves lives.