It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
(male)

Ramondo HB User
Lung Nodules

My radiologist has discovered a 3 cm. nodule on my right upper lung. I obtained a copy of his report to my doctor. He provided detailed analysis of the conditions in the area and one of his conclusions was that the findings were "suspicious for bronchogenic carcinoma".

I will be consulting a thoracic surgeon in a couple of days to determine what steps should be taken next and a nurse friend of mine recommended that we include a PETSCAN.

I am stunned, anxious and can't sleep. I know we don't know what we have exactly, but does anyone know if this is survivable? What are my chances? Where should I go from the thoracic surgeon? I live in the Syracuse area and we do not have the greatest facilities here. Should I be researching cancer centers in Rochester, NYC or Phila.?

Any suggestions.....(please)?

Old 10-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
(female)

pegkro HB Userpegkro HB Userpegkro HB User
Re: Lung Nodules

I agree with your nurse friend. Because I was a smoker, my pulmonoligist immediately thought cancer, as the radioligist also concluded. I was sent to an oncologist, because I had several nodules, not just one. The oncologist suggested to my pulmonary Dr. that he do a bronchoscopy, with washings and biopsy, as he didn't think that what I was presenting appeared cancerous. I'd get a second opinion. I finally found out, after three months of screwing around, that I had a bacterial infection. If it had been caught sooner, it wouldn't have been so invasive in my lungs, and the treatment could have been started sooner. Nodules can appear after a bout of pneumonia, severe bronchitis, or a severe cold. Radiologists can only give opinions, and they are not always the right ones. I hope this helps you a little less aprehensive. It is your body and you are the one to tell the Dr's what you want to be done. A pet scan is certainly more informative for the radiologist to read, because of the medication injected, shows things in your body more clearly. Dr's don't like an informed patient, so go prepared with your reasons for asking for the pet scan. Do some research and take it with you to back you up. I hope this helps. Take care, and God Bless and be with you throughout this whole experience. Peggy

The Following User Says Thank You to pegkro For This Useful Post:
Ramondo (10-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread