It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

Kimandcoco HB User
Change in size of nodule...scared to death

Hi,
I don't know what to think except the worst case scenario here. In 2008 they found 2 small nodules on my right lung (2.5 mm and 5mm). They checked it again in March of 2010 and they were both same size, no changes and they assumed it was scar tissue. I just did a follow up CT scan yesterday (nov 2011) and was told that the 5mm (which the report said was 5x8) grew a little more to what they are telling me now is 8mm x 11mm. The report said that all characteristics of it are benign but of course i need to do further testing. I've just made an appointment with a pulmonologist as my dr said he would determine if i should have a PET scan or an MRI. They are telling me not to panic but on top of this i have really bad panic disorder so that's pretty much impossible to do :-(

My question to them was- if it isn't cancer, how/why would it grow? Everything i've read online says cancer so I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had a change in growth where it was still benign? Or am i a goner?
Also, when they grow isn't it best just to have it removed immediately???

Please help. I'm 42. In decent shape otherwise although i did smoke on and off for 15 years. I quit in January of this year. No real history of cancer in my family. But i may be the first :-(

thanks so much

Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
(male)

umjd1998 HB User
Re: Change in size of nodule...scared to death

Hello,

I am new to this board (today actually) and saw that nobody has replied and thought I would. It is completely understandable to be worried.

For informational purpose my story is as follows: I had a nodule found on xray when I had pneumonia in November and my pet scan in shows low grade uptake (Max SUV 1.8). All docs think benign but Pulmonologist told me to have it removed. I smoked for 20 years and quit right after the nodule was found. So, I am still quite concerned. They will not know for sure until the surgery.

Now, again, being afrais is totally normal. I have anxiety too and it was terrible the first 2 weeks. I found that having someone to talk to really helped. I withheld the info from my wife for those 2 weeks not wanting to burden her until I knew for sure and I didn't want to ruin Thanksgiving. But I felt better immediately after I told her. So, if you have someone to talk to, use that outlet.

Another bit of advice, I would immediately stop researching on the internet unless you are given a definitive diagnosis. I also went nuts looking things up, mortality stats, etc. It does absolutely no good. Stay away from the internet for research (of course stay here) unless you know something for sure. Lots of the information out there is older and there have been great advances. Mortality stats are about 5 years old, and those could be significantly different now.

I wish you the best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to umjd1998 For This Useful Post:
Kimandcoco (12-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

Kimandcoco HB User
Re: Change in size of nodule...scared to death

thanks so much for taking the time to write. It was very sweet. Thankfully it al turned out pretty well so far. I had seen the pulmonologist and after he looked at the pictures from the previous years he determined that the growth was very slight and not worth touching. Thankfully he also consulted with another radiologist and the head of thoracic surgery who all said leave it alone and check it with another CT scan in a year. They all felt it had benign characteristics. Funny thing is no matter how much i read up on the message boards i couldn't find anyone who had a nodule that grew but wasn't cancerous. I didn't think it was possible!
Yes, you are right- we must be careful about what we consider research on the internet!
thank you again and I'm wishing you the best of health! Please post to say how you are coming along. After the experience i just had I hope you will not worry as much!
best to you!

Closed Thread